Integrated Amplifier for stereo setup

Hi,

In the above setup PM7001 and Outlaw M2200 are connected to the same speaker KEF R300. Can you please detail how did you connect it?
In general 2 amplifiers driving same speaker.

I think he meant individually where the PM7001 is running the R300 directly in the integrated amp mode and with Outlaw mono blocs as just a pre-out. These two are different connections and not together to the same speaker at the same time. Raghu can correct me :)

My understanding was in Raghu's setup these connections are made permanent and possible to use any one ( Without reconnecting )..

PM 7001 as integrated amp ---> connected to R300.

PM7001 (preout ) to Outlaw Power amp ---> connected to R300

In this case an amp select switch or some provision should be there. So I was curious as I like to connect AVR and IA to same set of speakers.

My understanding was in Raghu's setup these connections are made permanent and possible to use any one ( Without reconnecting )..

PM 7001 as integrated amp ---> connected to R300.

PM7001 (preout ) to Outlaw Power amp ---> connected to R300

In this case an amp select switch or some provision should be there. So I was curious as I like to connect AVR and IA to same set of speakers.

Hi Sunil, Yes, you are correct, he is using a switch from Shiit, hope this ends the confusion.

Regards
jean:)

Let me clear up the confusion. Manniraj is correct.
Jean came over to hear the Marantz PM7001 as he is interested in a stereo setup using an IA.
The first chain was to connect the speakers to directly to PM7001, thus putting it in IA mode.
The second chain introduced the external amps between PM7001 (preamp out) and speakers, for which the speaker cables had to be unplugged from IA and plugged in to Outlaws.

Now in my regular set up, the connectivity is a bit more involved.
Marantz PM7001 L/R preout -->
Marantz NR1605 L/R preout -->
The above two go to a Schiit SYS (basically a 2-to-1 switch). The output of SYS goes to the Outlaws and then on to the KEFs. The AVR directly drives C/SL/SR
More details on connectivity is here
http://www.hifivision.com/what-should-i-buy/61287-cables-wires.html
Post #6

Cheers,
Raghu

Jean,

CA Topaz SR20 has only OPT/COAX digital inputs. So if you want to play from laptop (USB) you will need a USB2SPDIF converter (extra cost).

Cheers,
Raghu

Hello All,
I just now came across word called "Stereo Receiver", is it same like an Integrated amp or something else, if no, what is the difference, price of this component seems convincing.. it does have an inbuilt DAC and 100W power
Stereo Receiver : Cambridge Audio TOPAZ SR20 Stereo Receiver

With the kind of speakers you have, I would recommend going for a power amp and a DAC with volume control. Not sure what your budget is, NAD will be a good choice.

Last edited:
Jean,

CA Topaz SR20 has only OPT/COAX digital inputs. So if you want to play from laptop (USB) you will need a USB2SPDIF converter (extra cost).

Cheers,
Raghu

Oops I missed it, Thanks Raghu, How much does it(USB to SPDIF) cost? Do i loose something, if i do?.
How about its quality in sound, when compared to an CA AZUR 651A, Comparing its price, there is difference of 10K, i.e, SR20 36K and Azur 651A 46K.

regards
Jean

With the kind of speakers you have, I would recommend going for a power amp and a DAC with volume control. Not sure what your budget is, NAD will be a good choice.

After I listened to Raghu's system, am tying this route too, But I think for this I need a pre-amplifier too. i have seen many offers in OLX and quikr for NAD power amps, but I dont know which model to go for, If possible, Please suggest me some power amp from NAD, which had a remarkable name in last decade. So that i can look for the same in olx or quikr....

My budget is around 30K
regards
Jean

I am looking for decent DAC too, as I have listened to Shiit Modi uber 2 from Raghu, thought of going for it, but the product has to be ordered overseas that means shipping, customs or a friend in US getting difficult, Yesterday I saw some good reviews of CA DACMAGIC 100, it does have USB input and is available in India. FM, does anyone have personal experience with this product.

Regards
Jean

CA DAC Magic Plus is a DAC + Preamp with volume control and headphone amp. Have heard it. It is pretty good. No remote I think. Cost was somewhere around USD500
Schiit Modi/Magni (uber versions) also give you the same capabilities as CA DAC Magic Plus at a lower price point USD300
Small items such as these make sense if one can get it via friend/relative from abroad. Buying local or importing jacks up the price.

Add a laptop & stereo power amp and it will be a nice and clean digital only setup.

Cheers,
Raghu

Last edited:
Add a laptop & stereo power amp and it will be a nice and clean digital only setup.

Cheers,
Raghu

Raghu sorry, a bit confused add laptop & stereo power amp with DAC Magic plus or Shiit Modi uber or DAC magic 100?

Regards
jean

CA DAC Magic Plus (DAC + preamp + headphone amp + volume control)

Schiit Modi2Uber (DAC)
Schiit Magni2Uber (preamp + headpnone amp + volume control)
Together the give the same functionality as CA

It is CA or Modi+Magni

Add Laptop as USB source (your use case)
Add a stereo power amp for your speakers

Done!! You have a a full fledged system for digital music collection.

Cheers,
Raghu

CA DAC Magic Plus (DAC + preamp + headphone amp + volume control)

Schiit Modi2Uber (DAC)
Schiit Magni2Uber (preamp + headpnone amp + volume control)
Together the give the same functionality as CA

It is CA or Modi+Magni

Add Laptop as USB source (your use case)
Add a stereo power amp for your speakers

Done!! You have a a full fledged system for digital music collection.

Cheers,
Raghu

Ok, but instead of investing in pre-amp, I can use my receiver as pre-amp correct? i.e., CA DAC Magic 100 (15K)+Pre-amp(Denon Receiver)+ pre-out to stereo power amp. what do you say?

regards
Jean

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back