Integrated Amplifier for stereo setup

Yes you could. Denon AVR-X2000 has Zone-2 L/R preout.
Zone-2 will become your stereo setup, leaving Main zone for 5.1 HT.
You cannot have Main zone L/R doubling as stereo preout as AVR does not support it.

For the same set of front speakers, you will need a 2-to-1 speaker selector switch.
Speaker selector switches are not the same as input selector switches. They need to carry higher current, hence will cost more.
These usually come in 1-to-n configuration, but they can possibly be used in reverse if it is a passive element.
OR
Do wire swapping each time between stereo and HT

Cheers,
Raghu

Last edited:
Please note that while your speakers are sensitive (89-90db), they do have impedance dips in certain frequencies all the way down to 3.85 ohms. This is despite the manufacturer specs which claims that it is an 8ohm speaker.

To quote: "Impedance reaches a minimum of 3.85 ohms at 132 Hz and a phase angle of 65.42 degrees at 84 Hz."

Paradigm Monitor 11 Speaker System Test Bench | Sound & Vision

A big difference between AVRs and decent power amps or decent integrated (not stereo) receivers is that the power supply is much beefier and stronger in stereo amps. This allows the amp to continue supplying enough amplification and enough power to speakers even when the speaker impedance dips this low (at 4 ohms, the speaker is asking double the current and double the power from the amp).

AVRs will cleverly not even state how much wattage they provide in 4 ohms.

Long story short, this is why you find stereo amps sounding much much better. The power supply. A really good amp will double its power output from 8 ohms to 4 ohms. Most amps even in mid range price level do not have this strong power supply. Often you will find that a 50W amp in 8ohms will give 70-80W in 4 ohms. And this is considered a very good amp.

One other thing to consider: If you really want a no compromise surround sound system that also does stereo equally well, consider getting a multi channel power amp instead of buying a stereo amp. Outlaw audio makes decent multichannel power amps with good prices. Emotiva is another option, and they ship directly from the factory (actually just like Outlaw), and will also ship to India.

XPA-5 for example: https://emotiva.com/products/amplifiers/xpa-5

Or XPA-200 which is a stereo power amp but at much lower price: https://emotiva.com/products/amplifiers/xpa-200

agree with above..

ideally - have a separate stereo setup or use the stereo speakers as your movie setup on a 2.0 or 2.1 mode

paradigm Monitor series are nice AV speakers.

Jean,

Correct me if I am wrong here.
At low volumes, speakers don't come alive. At moderate volume (after AVR fiddling with settings), bass overthrows everything else.

You have about 5 feet separation between L/R and about 6-8 feet from speaker plane to listening plane in a multi-purpose untreated space.
What is the speaker setback from back/side walls? Did you run the Audyssey and check if it can salvage room-boom to a small extant?

The good part is you are patiently trying to work your way towards a solution with existing setup; but willing to spend incrementally only if there is going to be an improvement.

If this is true the likely culprits seem to be:
1. Small room, big towers, no breathing space (my bets are on this one)
2. Under powered AVR (debatable; 95W 2Ch driven is a respectable spec)
3. AVR DAC (unlikely; most AVRs today do 16/44.1 and 24/96 reasonably well)

Let's try and sync up again. I can get my DAC/IA/amps to your place. We should be able to confirm item 1 and may be rule out 2 & 3.
If your room is working against you, the solution may not be in spending money on more electronics.

Cheers,
Raghu

Hello All,

Attached is my Living room layout, please share your ideas to improve the room acoustic. As it is rented house please don't expect a major modification, What i can do max is, moving things here and there, curtains, placement of AV equipment's. I know its very difficult, but if someone experienced the same and came out of it with a solution, please share it will be helpful.

Regards
Chris

Attachments

• Schematic.jpg
    Schematic.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 64
Jean,

Correct me if I am wrong here.
At low volumes, speakers don't come alive. At moderate volume (after AVR fiddling with settings), bass overthrows everything else.

You have about 5 feet separation between L/R and about 6-8 feet from speaker plane to listening plane in a multi-purpose untreated space.
What is the speaker setback from back/side walls? Did you run the Audyssey and check if it can salvage room-boom to a small extant?

The good part is you are patiently trying to work your way towards a solution with existing setup; but willing to spend incrementally only if there is going to be an improvement.

If this is true the likely culprits seem to be:
1. Small room, big towers, no breathing space (my bets are on this one)
2. Under powered AVR (debatable; 95W 2Ch driven is a respectable spec)
3. AVR DAC (unlikely; most AVRs today do 16/44.1 and 24/96 reasonably well)

Let's try and sync up again. I can get my DAC/IA/amps to your place. We should be able to confirm item 1 and may be rule out 2 & 3.
If your room is working against you, the solution may not be in spending money on more electronics.

Cheers,
Raghu

Yes, Speaker comes alive only after 30 points volume, I think that bass overthrows, could get a clear picture of it yet.

Listening Plane is 8-9 feet, please refer my attachment in last post for exact position of speakers. I have run the Audyssey set up once, but didn't give good result. I will run it again once i receive my center channel which i ordered recently and get back to you with my findings.

1. Yes me to think the same about the room, please go through the layout and revert me.
2.I will check again the spec about 1 channel driven or 2 channel driven and get back to you
3.How to find, what DAC they have in it and what it is capable of?

Yes:yahoo:, Your visit will be a big help for me, Thanks for offering a such a great help, Once I receive my center channel, I will let you know, we can do it, in your convenience.

Thanks
Jean

Jean,

Dimensions are not visible on drawing; if zoomed everything becomes blurred.
Long wall placement is something you can try and check if there is improvement. This means major movement of furniture; in turn means you need spousal approval (not an easy thing to get).

Cheers,
Raghu

Hello All,

I have received my paradigm Center 1, As you guys suggested I ran my Audyssey MultiQXT yesterday and results are worst, the sound was very much dull and couldn't hear anything after 50 points of my volume pot. Which was pretty enough in manual setup.

so i checked the results which are

Amp: Bi-Amp
Distances
Front L : 3.00M
Front R : 3.00M
Center : 3.06M

Levels
Front L : -6.5db
Front R: -6.0db
Center : -4.5db

Front : Large
Center: Small
Source level 0 db

I ran the Audyssey before, the results are pretty same...

Regards
Jean

I think the problem looks to be the level setting as these are too low. You can try increasing the below by steps and check the results.

Levels

I think the problem looks to be the level setting as these are too low. You can try increasing the below by steps and check the results.

Levels

Yes obviously , I did that, but that is called a manual setup, and it does increases SPL, but the SQ remains same as before:sad:. Any other suggestion to improve the sound quality.

Regards
Jean

I have another doubt, when I set my AVR to Bi-amp mode and play stereo music, I am not getting sound from center speaker, is it normal? and when play some DTS version, center speaker is alive. Does it means in Bi-amp mode only Front speaker gets the signal.
What should I do to get sound from all speaker, when playing stereo?

Regards
Jean

I have another doubt, when I set my AVR to Bi-amp mode and play stereo music, I am not getting sound from center speaker, is it normal? and when play some DTS version, center speaker is alive. Does it means in Bi-amp mode only Front speaker gets the signal.
What should I do to get sound from all speaker, when playing stereo?

Regards
Jean

If "pure direct" (or something similar) mode is on, avr sends signal to L-R channels only (in case of stereo). All other channels are turned off as the source is sending only 2 channel signal. Dts is multichannel. So when dts is passed to amp, it distributes to different channels.
For a bi-amping scenario, and when dts is played, make sure your AVR's amplifier assignment is set to Bi-amp and you've made the speaker connection properly according to manual.

If "pure direct" (or something similar) mode is on, avr sends signal to L-R channels only (in case of stereo). All other channels are turned off as the source is sending only 2 channel signal. Dts is multichannel. So when dts is passed to amp, it distributes to different channels.
For a bi-amping scenario, and when dts is played, make sure your AVR's amplifier assignment is set to Bi-amp and you've made the speaker connection properly according to manual.

Ok for DTS and pure Direct, Thank you

Now, If stereo is played normally(not in pure/direct mode) through Bi-amp, Should I get signal in all channels?

Regards
Jean

Direct, pure, stereo modes put out only LR for music. Other modes, PL-2, matrix, take 2 ch and put out on C/surround (dsp magic). Dolby/DTS are native multi channel.

Ok for DTS and pure Direct, Thank you

Now, If stereo is played normally(not in pure/direct mode) through Bi-amp, Should I get signal in all channels?

Regards
Jean

Does your AVR shows any light indicator showing the channels being used? Stereo means 2 channels. In bi amp scenario, stereo signal goes to 4 amps. Rest are being unused.

Now, there is a way out. If you set AVR dsp program is set to '7 channel' stereo, it will eventually invoke all channels and stereo signal will be distributed.

I believe you have equal or more than 7.1 channel avr.

Last edited:
Hello All,

I have received my paradigm Center 1, As you guys suggested I ran my Audyssey MultiQXT yesterday and results are worst, the sound was very much dull and couldn't hear anything after 50 points of my volume pot. Which was pretty enough in manual setup.

so i checked the results which are

Amp: Bi-Amp
Distances
Front L : 3.00M
Front R : 3.00M
Center : 3.06M

Levels

Front : Large
Center: Small
Source level 0 db

I ran the Audyssey before, the results are pretty same...

Regards
Jean

Hi

I am also using denon with front L/R 3.5m to seating position, I set my channel level to -2.5db. I have override the audyssey setting based on Spl meter.

Also regarding Audyssey keep the multiEqxt to audyssey and switch of dynamic Volume and check whether it improves the SQ

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back