Inverter vs servo stabilizer

dranil

I need a stabilzer to use for my home theater system. The technician suggested to go for 3 kv inverter with two 200 Watts battery
So that I will get stabilizer functions and full house power backup. Please clarify this.

I need a stabilzer to use for my home theater system. The technician suggested to go for 3 kv inverter with two 200 Watts battery
So that I will get stabilizer functions and full house power backup. Please clarify this.
Hi! You need to be clear about your primary requirement. if protection against wild voltage fluctuations is your focus then go for voltage stabilizer but if backup is your primary focus then you need to go with UPS or similar stuff. BTW inverters and UPS are never a suitable option for use with AV setup.

The technician may get a hefty commission as Inverters sales have gone down. Moreover, inverter circuitry is to regulate itself, not for the house. Think of it ONLY when electricity fails, you get a steady power source. A stabilizer is dedicated to control power for the full home. It cannot be exchanged for an inverter.

The technician may get a hefty commission as Inverters sales have gone down. Moreover, inverter circuitry is to regulate itself, not for the house. Think of it ONLY when electricity fails, you get a steady power source. A stabilizer is dedicated to control power for the full home. It cannot be exchanged for an inverter.
Finally the truth is spoken! Use case of both stabilizer & ups/inverter is completely different.

Hi! You need to be clear about your primary requirement. if protection against wild voltage fluctuations is your focus then go for voltage stabilizer but if backup is your primary focus then you need to go with UPS or similar stuff. BTW inverters and UPS are never a suitable option for use with AV setup.
Can you please elaborate why we cannot use inverter and ups for AV setup.

Can you please explain the reason why I cannot use UPS or online Inverter for use full home
When we use solar off grid setup, we are doing same way I think.

Can you please elaborate why we cannot use inverter and ups for AV setup.
Because of their inability to deliver pure sine wave output, humming noise, frequent battery maintenance, poor efficiency etc. In case of AV setup they should only be used to gracefully shutdown the equipment during power failures. I would highly recommend you to use static voltage stabilizer for regulating wild voltage fluctuations. There is no better option than static stabilizer to curb voltage swings. Yes, you can pair static stabilizer with ups/inverter to overcome power losses.

Last edited:
Because of their inability to deliver pure sine wave output, humming noise, frequent battery maintenance, poor efficiency etc. In case of AV setup they should only be used to gracefully shutdown the equipment during power failures. I would highly recommend you to use static voltage stabilizer for regulating wild voltage fluctuations. There is no better option than static stabilizer to curb voltage swings. Yes, you can pair static stabilizer with ups/inverter to overcome power losses.
Why not online Inverter?

There have been many such discussions on HFV and lots more on Google. The OP should spend a little time searching on this site and on Google search.

Yes.
UPS is nothing but a combination of rectifier & inverter. i have mentioned the drawbacks of ups for av setup in previous reply. attaching a comparison sheet for you. I had similar apprehensions for months before deciding to invest in static stabilizer about which i am extremely pleased.

By the way what is your primary area of concern? is it voltage swings or frequent power failures?

Attachments

• IMG-202207.jpg
    IMG-202207.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 20
UPS is nothing but a combination of rectifier & inverter. i have mentioned the drawbacks of ups for av setup in previous reply. attaching a comparison sheet for you. I had similar apprehensions for months before deciding to invest in static stabilizer about which i am extremely pleased.

By the way what is your primary area of concern? is it voltage swings or frequent power failures?
Are you saying this from a technical perspective or from a functional perspective?

Double conversion online ups do give pure Sine wave output. However, they are noisy so cannot be used in all circumstances.

Are you saying this from a technical perspective or from a functional perspective?

Double conversion online ups do give pure Sine wave output. However, they are noisy so cannot be used in all circumstances.
Saying this from their basic functional methodology. IMO an online UPS system is reversibly called double conversion as well because incoming power is converted to direct current (DC) and then converted back to AC. AC-DC & then DC-AC is what double conversion is. They are noisy because of the inverter that converts DC to AC for load. Harmonics generation is another issue with them. You rightly mentioned that they can not be used in all circumstances.

Can you please explain the reason why I cannot use UPS or online Inverter for use full home
When we use solar off grid setup, we are doing same way I think.
Look, even I use Inverter for the house, when electricity fails. It runs most except fridge/washing machine etc. That is the offline type inverter. Online ones are too costly, for their limited purpose (not good for home use). Offices may use as even one electricity glitch may reset servers etc or their data side. If you have tons of spare money then go ahead.

Look, even I use Inverter for the house, when electricity fails. It runs most except fridge/washing machine etc. That is the offline type inverter. Online ones are too costly, for their limited purpose (not good for home use). Offices may use as even one electricity glitch may reset servers etc or their data side. If you have tons of spare money then go ahead.
Other than cost and noise I am more concerned about the technical points to use online Inverter.
I am looking for voltage stabilisation even during surges like lightning, continuous supply without break and if possible to use my airconditioner also.

For home use, servo stabs are good enough if there are huge fluctuations for household equipment. For sensitive equipments is here you need an online ups to avoid damage and cleaner power.

For home use, servo stabs are good enough if there are huge fluctuations for household equipment. For sensitive equipments is here you need an online ups to avoid damage and cleaner power.
My question is can I use online Inverter for my full house power requirements. So that I can get uninterrupted fluctuation free power. If I am getting this requirements fulfilled, I am willing to spend money. (Not tons of money as someone commented here)

My question is can I use online Inverter for my full house power requirements. So that I can get uninterrupted fluctuation free power. If I am getting this requirements fulfilled, I am willing to spend money. (Not tons of money as someone commented here)
Is this requirement for Dubai or India ? Since in Dubai the power supply is very stable.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back