Is A CD Player Really Better Than A DVDP For Stereo Music?

Re: ? Is CD Player really make difference over DVD Player for Stereo Listening?? nvas

using above mentioned process you are comparing the transport+dac sections of the two and the 2channel dac of a DVDp will usually be significantly inferior

If the objective is to only compare the transport sections, the right way of doing this would be to take the digital out of a DVDP and a CDP and give it to a DAC and then compare...

Re: ? Is CD Player really make difference over DVD Player for Stereo Listening?? nvas

As some have pointed out using the DVDp as a source is because of the budget constraints. If people start using a nice sounding DAC I am quite sure it will have a nice price to it (btw the beresford is around 15k). Further the DACs of the standalone CD players are usually better than the ones found in the AV receivers. Objective is not to compare the transport as such but to see whether the DVDps sound are markedly different than the CDps. I think the title of the thread makes it clear and it is usually the CDp that sound better unless the DVDp have special audio circuitry for audio playback.

As some have pointed out using the DVDp as a source is because of the budget constraints. If people start using a nice sounding DAC I am quite sure it will have a nice price to it (btw the beresford is around 15k). Further the DACs of the standalone CD players are usually better than the ones found in the AV receivers. Objective is not to compare the transport as such but to see whether the DVDps sound are markedly different than the CDps. I think the title of the thread makes it clear and it is usually the CDp that sound better unless the DVDp have special audio circuitry for audio playback.

Thank you for your reply.

I appreciate your feedback. Between NAD and Cambridge Audio which CD Player will you recommend me?

I look forward to get a reply from you.

Best wishes,
Nirav

I think along the rest of the equipment you may go for a NAD 545/565. But do kindly listen to both CA and NAD before finalising. I personally have not heard the 550 / 650 series of CA players. Read good reviews though.

Hi nvashi,

I would like to add Cambridge Audio DVD Players DV89 and DV99 models to the audiophile grade players list and these are real good VFM products.

N.Murali
------------------------------------------
I am going to buy NAD C 565BEE CD Player having USB Port to play music in MP3 Format.

Can this NAD CD Player with USB help produce top quality sound/music than normal/cheaper MP3 players OR no difference at all???? Can it give some better sound as it's a NAD product or just the same Sound as any other normal MP3 Players on my B&W Speakers and NAD Stereo Amp????

Purpose to get answer is if there no difference by using USB for audio quality then I won't buy this costly CDP with USB. I will then buy NAD CDP without USB Port which is much less for money.

I indeed require your input please.

Best regards,
Nirav

i must respectfully disagree.

------------------------------------------

Hi Vaibhav,

I am going to buy NAD C 565BEE CD Player having USB Port to play music in MP3 Format.

Can this NAD CD Player with USB help produce top quality sound/music than normal/cheaper MP3 players OR no difference at all???? Can it give some better sound as it's a NAD product or just the same Sound as any other normal MP3 Players on my B&W Speakers and NAD Stereo Amp????

Purpose to get answer is if there no difference by using USB for audio quality then I won't buy this costly CDP with USB. I will then buy NAD CDP without USB Port which is much less for money.

I indeed require your input please.

Best regards,
Nirav

This is a very good topic. I have long been asking these questions myself. Thanks.

Thank you for your reply.

I appreciate your feedback. Between NAD and Cambridge Audio which CD Player will you recommend me?

I look forward to get a reply from you.

Best wishes,
Nirav

DVDP for listening to music?Avoid!
CDP under 50K?
Look for a Rega Apollo,Cyrus 6 SE,Cyrus 8X,Arcam FMJ CD 17,Diva CD 73,Diva CD 192.
I had briefly auditioned the entry level cdp's from Marantz,Cambridge Audio,Nad,Creek,Rotel and did not like any of them.Both Cyrus and Arcam are far better and although I have not heard the Rega Apollo,I believe it is an excellent cdp in that price range,1200 SGD in Singapore and 57 K as quoted by the dealer in Pune.
What one hears is subjective.But I think the mid range british cdp's like Arcam,Cyrus,Rega,Naim are very nice if you can find one at a bargain price.You could also check out the Arcam rDac and the Musical Fidelity V Dac.

Though it may sound technically blasphemous .... my views stand changed after hearing my Topping combo for .... now, 2 months.

Yes, as the pundits say, one MUST hear a system before plunging into something in audio .... specs or no specs ..... CDp or DVDp !

and a CDp above 50k for MP3 listening......will not make any diff

... and provided that CDp accepts MP3 .... quite a number of them show .. no disc .... :mad:

There is listening test which has been conducted by dinyaar regarding the entry level CDPs. He has concluded that the Marantz CD 6003 is the best amongst the lot. It also fits the budget at 20k.

Rs. Budget is Rs. 15K to Rs. 20K for CDP.
Between NAD and Marantz which would you recommend?

Best regards,
Nirav

Marantz CDp are good,affordable.They are best VFM.They dont need much of system matching,but bright setup can be avoided though.

Hi, I am Gnana Sekhar. What about Arcam cd players i.e. cd17 & cd192

Hi
i am not a tech wiz but i recently upgraded my home theater with aviano 8 floor speakers and i onkyo608 and was playing music through a dvd player pioneer.i tried connecting a marantz 6003 cd player to the onkyo i was surprised the whole speakers came to life only after that.the music from the player is wholesome and completely incomparable. A cd player is a cd player a dvd player is a dvd player. i bought a marantz 6003 now.

May be this was already mentioned, both CDs and DVDs have error correction codes, which would mean any errors occuring due faulty "pit" readings due to movement of the header or scratches should be corrected the FEC. Assuming the 1/0 reach as recorded to the DAC section I would imagine it is the DAC (dynamic range, SNR, Resolution, Jitter etc. ) which makes signifcant difference along with usual components like power supply etc. In my opinion if the recorded binary content is the indentica, the media does not matter (even if it USB) as long as the other components down chain is the same.

This reminds me of a debate that we had in college about Ketchups.

Those days, and still(with the exception of now available Heinz), Maggi and Kissan, used to be the only palatable ketchups. There were many other local brands which used to taste like methyl alcohol.

All ketchups come from tomatoes and theoretically, if the tomatoes are the same, if the preservatives are the same etc etc, ketchups shouldnt differ. But they do.

Rather than argue the point, the only choice available is to buy the ketchup that tasted better, though it was always the more expensive one.

Yes, music may be stored in zeroes and ones and it may be the DAC or the blah blah that matters.

In various threads, i have come across CD players opening up the sound, but not many mentioned of DVD players doing the same.

So, if in the market, dedicated CD players sound better than DVD players, we cannot be preaching to the DVD players and ask them to sound better, can we?

or, is it a case of sour tomatoes?

I guess it is more like, instead of having you buy one piece of equipment the manufacturers want you to buy 2. The other way I see it is, if you put a SPDIF connection to an external DAC, then both CDp and DVDp should sound same, I say "should" because I have not done that test, perhaps our more learned forum members can throw more light on it.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back