Is A CD Player Really Better Than A DVDP For Stereo Music?

Re: ? Is CD Player really make difference over DVD Player for Stereo Listening?? nvas

I guess it is more like, instead of having you buy one piece of equipment the manufacturers want you to buy 2. The other way I see it is, if you put a SPDIF connection to an external DAC, then both CDp and DVDp should sound same, I say "should" because I have not done that test, perhaps our more learned forum members can throw more light on it.
Absolutely agree!!

Re: ? Is CD Player really make difference over DVD Player for Stereo Listening?? nvas

Thank you all for the forensic analysis with CDp vs DVDp. We would really appreciate if anyone could through some technical light on where the BDP's stand in this debate?

I guess it is more like, instead of having you buy one piece of equipment the manufacturers want you to buy 2. The other way I see it is, if you put a SPDIF connection to an external DAC, then both CDp and DVDp should sound same, I say "should" because I have not done that test, perhaps our more learned forum members can throw more light on it.

Electrify, so you are proposing that the quality of the transport doesnt matter?

Electrify, so you are proposing that the quality of the transport doesnt matter?

I am saying that CD or DVD player should not matter assuming that the other components or same as I mentioned earlier.
Regarding the transport, I am assuming we are still talking about just getting the digital data out, as long as the data is the same at the digital I/F, yes it should not matter what was the transport. IMHO ofcourse :)

Interesting thread :). Am gonna watch it for sure!

Logically speaking, for standard make CDPs and DVDPs, the quality of the digital output should NOT be much different, maybe the same. It is the DAC which does its role. (Ain't bringing in the 'produces' of Accuphase, Esoteric, Ayre etc, not in that league)

High end DAC costs a lot, and obviously the analogue output differences come in there.

Rightly put in by someone earlier, this thing needs to be checked 'side-by-side'. Only then would we come to know for sure.

Pandit Bhimsen Joshi (may his wonderful soul rest in peace) will sound way better than a CDP or a DVDP.

Alas, we dont have the choice of having him in the living room.

Therefore, can we keep the comparison to real life choices and not fantasise about "other components being the same". Other components being the same, even Rakhi Sawant would be a great wife to live with.

interesting thread, and good fodder for debate, but what is the truth?

why should there be a market for

6moons audio reviews: Metronome Technologie Kalista

if the transport did not matter, and the DAC made all the difference?

common sense might indicate that when mechanical parts are used to record and reproduce data, digital or otherwise, extreme attention paid to precise tooling of mechanical parts used for such acquisition and reproduction might result in better results.

interesting thread, and good fodder for debate, but what is the truth?

why should there be a market for

6moons audio reviews: Metronome Technologie Kalista

if the transport did not matter, and the DAC made all the difference?

common sense might indicate that when mechanical parts are used to record and reproduce data, digital or otherwise, extreme attention paid to precise tooling of mechanical parts used for such acquisition and reproduction might result in better results.

Transports make a difference, paritcularly to the timing recovery aka. jitter which in turns has a significant impact on the audio performance of the system.
In my limited understanding, I relate the timing problem of motor driven drives with the good old tapes its just easy to hear it. If you recall in the tape players, when the motor speed changes the sound changes, example when the current is low the drive motor rotates slower and this you could make out easily as the sounds becomes deepish, the highs are gone and so on. This was more noticeable with the battery operated one's as you know it is time to change the battery. When the motor is fast the sound get more shriller and cluttered like having play and FF at the same time, these are not any different in CDP.
The effect of timing (playout) is the same in tape or digital player, but it just gets more complicated with the new age devices.

Btw, I dont want to mix the discussion between transport (lasers, servos, powersupply etc) with media (CDp, DVDp, BDP etc. ). My comments are related to media ;)

Electrify, so you were talking about a case where a dvdp and a cdp have transports of identical quality? And then then it would all depend on the external dac if a digital out is used?

Very interesting debate going on here and thank you all for the inputs. I was wondering if some of the drawbacks of DVDp as cited earlier apply to BDP as well, and would the HDMI capability compensate for some of them when an ACD is played in a BDP connected to a HDMI capable receiver, i.e. Denon 1311?

Very interesting debate going on here and thank you all for the inputs. I was wondering if some of the drawbacks of DVDp as cited earlier apply to BDP as well, and would the HDMI capability compensate for some of them when an ACD is played in a BDP connected to a HDMI capable receiver, i.e. Denon 1311?

A BDP player uses a completely different laser technology for reading the pits in a media. As against a max of some 9GB in a DVD, a Blu-Ray contains a standard 25GB capacity and can go upto 50GB. The same pitfalls of a good DAC and error correction will also exist with Blu-Ray layer.

HDMI is a digital connection used for carrying enormous amount of video and audio data. This is not used for carrying two channel stereo audio, though it can be. At the post player end, none of the DAC have a HDMI connection, nor are the stereo amps equipped with HDMI. The post HDMI processing circuitry in an AVR is designed for decoding and processing multi channel audio, and would not play any special emphasis for high quality stereo. A Blu-Ray can, of course, be connected through an optical or coaxial cable to an external DAC or to a digital capable AVR or amplifier for processing two channel audio.

What surprises me is that the enormous size of the Blu-Ray has not yet been used to carry uncompressed two channel audio that would change the way we listen to music. Or for that matter SACD or DVD-A with HD multichannel audio. I am talking about audio only and not videos of music artists or music groups.

Ultimately it is a question of VFM. Who would be ready to pay Rs.1500 for 10 songs?

Cheers

Last edited:

Electrify, so you were talking about a case where a dvdp and a cdp have transports of identical quality? And then then it would all depend on the external dac if a digital out is used?

Yes, iaudio that was the point.

In that case, you would be practically comparing a CDP and a DVDP at very different price points.

If the transport and corresponding implementation is the same in a DVD player and a CD player (which is never the case), then the differences will only be in the DAC.

But what is the point ?

My budget denon cdp (through optical out) sounds better than my sony dvdp (through coaxial which is supposedly better than optical) through audiosector dac. The dvdp sounds tinny and the cdp sounds fuller with the dac so much so that i'm inclined to keep the cdp for now.I'm also inclined to believe in the transport theory.

In that case, you would be practically comparing a CDP and a DVDP at very different price points.

If the transports are identical then maybe the outputs would not be very different when we would be using external DACs. Further I tend to think that the price points would not be very different in case the transports are the identical. If only it would only be due to the internal DACs.

I tend to think that the price points would not be very different in case the transports are the identical.

IMHO this may not be correct.

If only it would only be due to the internal DACs.
I doubt if the cost difference between higher and lower priced devices would be solely on account of better DAC and nothing else.

Disclaimer: I'm only making a calculated guess based on my experience of products in general. It may well be that you have better knowledge and understanding of the manufacture and costing of the devices under discussion.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back