Is a Sub required for FS speakers in a smaller room

deba_mo

Hello,
This is my first post in this forum. I must thank all of you for this invaluable repository of knowledge.
I am planning to buy a HT package for my L shaped 12' * 10' room (picture attached). One side of the room has a glass door that opens to the balcony and the other side is open to the living room. I think the active viewing distance will be approx 8.5' (owing to sofa width, TV panelling etc).
With guidance from this forum, I have shortlisted the following packages:
1) KEF KHT5005.2
2) Wharfedale 10.7 series (FS 10.7, 10.cs, 10 dfs, 10 mx sub) along with onkyo SR608

My usage will be 75% SD content (tata sky) with movies and songs from the normal channels, 15% for movies (DVD player or USB), 10 % for games and music.
Can the gurus advise on the following:
1) Is my shortlist good or overkill for the room size.
2) If I need to go for a Sub along with the wharfedale package. I see that wharfedale 7.1 FS is pretty capable speaker that may not need a sub.

I have already auditioned polk, Q acoustic and Elac and onkyo HT package.

Thanks
Debashish

Attachments

• living rm.jpg
    living rm.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 102
Your room could use a good sub, if the speakers aren't enough for you. However, a good sub for this setup could well be 30-50k or so.

Your living room is :licklips: . But FS will be too big for that size of room. Sub-sat combo will be nice... You can also check some of the Paradigm cinema packages.... And kefs too...

I tend to agree with kittu on this.For a large room a FS makes sense.For a room of your size a stand mounted speaker is better-you may be surprised at how well some of them perform.

Is the pic (given here) a representation of your room or indeed 'your' room?

Am able to see two fronts and one centre speaker around the flat screen TV. Anyway, you should get by with sats only for this size room.

Hi, Welcome to our forum:). Nice room that you've planned. I'm sure that image is for illustration purpose only:p.
You should be very fine with bookshelf or satellite speakers for a room with similar dimensions. I feel that the Wharf 10.7 will be an overkill.
What Avr are you planning to power the speaker with?
You can also audition the Martin Logan Motion series for you HT.
They are available in Absolute Phase.
found a link for ya:
http://www.hifivision.com/authorised-dealers/9576-absolute-phase-brings-martin-logan-bangalore.html

All the best for your HT hunting.

Sam:)

PS: Subwoofer is de rigueur for HT.

The room is just an illustration (courtsey my interior designer). I checked some bookshelves on stand. They take almost the same size as FS speakers, and don't look cool. If they have to be BS speakers, then they need to be wall mounted. But the booming effect should not be there.
I will audition the KEF and MartinLogan stuff, as suggested by some of you.

Experts,

Is there any guidelines or calculator is available to decide the speaker size?
Especially based on the total room size and viewing & listening distance? I am seeing conflicting suggestions from our esteemed members. (For ex refer this thread, which is similar to this thread)

Most of the apartments has "L" (or inverted L) shaped hall cum dinning area. The average room size is 18*10 and the listening area is 10*10.

The ".1' channel in 5.1 goes to the sub. In addition, if you are using small fronts, the bass of the fronts also goes to the sub. Therefore a sub is pretty much mandatory. The sub will always handle the .1 content in AV, and, depending on whether the fronts are small or large, will also handle the extra LF of the fronts.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back