Is AV Receiver good for Music ?

Only 9 years ??? :oops:
Why not? If you take you own sweet time, your rig will slowly evolve into something that will check all boxes eventually.
IIRC, you mentioned a split of 80:20 favoring music. If so, what @amrutmhatre90 suggests is a viable idea.
Get a decent soundbar for TV/Movies. And an IA + speakers for music. Add a sub later that can cater to both soundbar and IA.
It will work out cheaper since you don't have to worry about AVR at all.
Amps and speakers keep coming up for sale on the forum regularly.

Cheers,
Raghu

Why not? If you take you own sweet time, your rig will slowly evolve into something that will check all boxes eventually.
IIRC, you mentioned a split of 80:20 favoring music. If so, what @amrutmhatre90 suggests is a viable idea.
Get a decent soundbar for TV/Movies. And an IA + speakers for music. Add a sub later that can cater to both soundbar and IA.

Cheers,
Raghu
Why there is a need of Soundbar without Subwoofer if there is a IA & Speakers ? Soundbar without subwoofer is a trash and no use of hearing or having it for watching movies or music:):):).

I used to have this combo for 8 years.
- Outlaw OSB-1 (Soundbar) for TV sound
- CD Player/CCA + Marantz PM7001 + BW DM303
No sub. It was not so bad as you describe :)
IA + speakers could not produce the phantom center for some reason.

Cheers,
Raghu

Cheers,
Raghu
In 8 years plenty has changed or improved including the contents with Doby, DTS, DTS-HD and Atmos along with out taste.. So to enjoy those we should go forward and should not go back to adam era of hearing. That is my point. Just investing money in electronics which does not have value after some time is a waste. After all it is a hard earned money.

Forum is only to share the experience in a right way which should make new guys to advanced one which is currently in the market and we long timers cannot ask the new comers to start from scratch.:):)

However entering into vintage one's like Tannoy or Altec or Klangfilm or siemens type of drivers will make massive difference in hearing pleasure in Stereo plus those drivers will satisfty to an extent for movies.

So, those of you who think 5.0 plus AVR with tower speakers is better than an AVR plus 5.1 with bookshelves or satellite speakers pls respond with your pov.

For movie experience don't miss out on sub/s.
5.1 with BS or satellites would be the way to go.
FS, if you have a big room, budget and use the same rig for music without sub.
Some folks don't like sub in a music setup. It is a personal preference.

Cheers,
Raghu

Getting into Hi-Fi will always be like this, one user experience doesn't mean it will be same for everyone. I have had super support for old Pioneer with Kripa Electronics.
Price hike is a thing we cannot control at all. Stuff will get pricier. My friend wanted to setup his HT but house was going to get done in December, we bought everything well in advance due to seen price hikes. Guess what, his house is still not completed and all gear is at my place boxed. But we avoided the price hike.

Have you heard any DAC till now? That change in DACs are making you think the new ones might be inferior?

New Yamaha's are good, but rarely available. I too was thinking of getting V6A but went for x3700 for its Audyssey capabilities.

I suggest you go for a lifestyle HT like ones with Sony, Samsung etc. You will have piece of mind
Get a 2ch setup if you are not happy with music from it.
The change in DAC to new one from Denon might not be inferior but in the present models ( X3700 , X4700 ) it is not mentioned, but in the previous year model [x1600 2019 model ] it is mentioned - AKM

As a costumer we would expect to know those and I hope I'm not wrong

Yamaha has YPAO and is it not same as Audyssey ? Or Not that perfect as Audyssey ?

The likes of Sony, Samsung are out of my expectation

I still remember 15 years back , when I saw Denon and longed to posses them

Cheers,
Raghu
No way Raghu,
I've already used Sound bars, basic hifi systems connected to my TVs and now I want to go next

But as you suggested, IA + Speakers is good bet

Cheers,
Raghu
Do you mean to say IA + Speakers [+ Sub ] may not be effective for movies

[ I'm considering this option too for Music and at times for movies ]

The change in DAC to new one from Denon might not be inferior but in the present models ( X3700 , X4700 ) it is not mentioned, but in the previous year model [x1600 2019 model ] it is mentioned - AKM

As a costumer we would expect to know those and I hope I'm not wrong

Quoting from another forum but I know it is AKM:
Here is what I saw on Facebook Denon group who claimed info came from Denon:

3700H and 4700H goes from 2 x AK4458 to 7 x TIBurrBrown PCM5102A
6700H goes from 2 xAK4458 to 8 x TI BurBrown PCM5102A
8500HA goes from 8 x AK4490 to 8 x ESS Technology ES9010K2M
A110 is 8x AK4490 for the whole production run

I can’t vouch for the credibility except that the info seems pretty specific.

Yamaha has YPAO and is it not same as Audyssey ? Or Not that perfect as Audyssey ?

Yes and No,
Yes : The job of both is to know your speakers and do a room correction.
No: Audyssey has multiple versions, X3700 onwards you get the best version. You can Google the differences. But audyssey offers much more than a normal room correction, you can do alot of stuff like limiting frequencies, adding curves, etc with a app which is paid.
Something like this is not available on YPAO.

No way Raghu,
I've already used Sound bars, basic hifi systems connected to my TVs and now I want to go next

But as you suggested, IA + Speakers is good bet
Fair enough ask.
Separate your "wants" from your "needs" and focus on a system that will satisfy the "needs" for the next 3-5 years.
Wants are infinite :D
If you will watch TV/movies with dolby/dts effects at least 2/3 times a week, then AVR is a good investment.
Start with 5.1 and use it for stereo too. If your music listening starts getting serious, buy an IA/separates later.
Settle the speakers question first. This has the biggest impact in the room.

Cheers,
Raghu

Last edited:
Quoting from another forum but I know it is AKM:

Yes and No,
Yes : The job of both is to know your speakers and do a room correction.
No: Audyssey has multiple versions, X3700 onwards you get the best version. You can Google the differences. But audyssey offers much more than a normal room correction, you can do alot of stuff like limiting frequencies, adding curves, etc with a app which is paid.
Something like this is not available on YPAO.
I already went through that thread from Audiosciencereview, long back, and that's how I came to know that Denon has changed their DACs

I believe, still there is no authentic info from Denon on their replaced DACs

So, Audyssey is better !?!!!

Do you mean to say IA + Speakers [+ Sub ] may not be effective for movies

[ I'm considering this option too for Music and at times for movies ]
I could not get a phantom center with B&W speakers. Did not have AVR then.
The KEFs do this with ease. So I guess it depends on the speakers.
Though I do not use the KEFs this way now. I have a basic AVR hosting a 3.1
In fact in my rig the AVR is the least used and utilized component.
We hardly turn it on. It has one source (TV) and powers only center channel.

I already went through that thread from Audiosciencereview, long back, and that's how I came to know that Denon has changed their DACs

I believe, still there is no authentic info from Denon on their replaced DACs

So, Audyssey is better !?!!!
AVR companies will use DACs depending on what is required for the model and what is available for their cost effective production runs.
No point splitting hairs over this one aspect.
For dolby/dts processing, the magic is all in AVR. If you need a separate DAC for music, you an always add one later.

Cheers,
Raghu

Fair enough ask.
Separate your "wants" from your "needs" and focus on a system that will satisfy the "needs" for the next 3-5 years.
Wants are infinite :D
If you will watch TV/movies with dolby/dts effects at least 2/3 times a week, then AVR is a good investment.
Start with 5.1 and use it for stereo too. If your music listening starts getting serious, buy an IA/separates later.
Settle the speakers question first. This has the biggest impact in the room.

Cheers,
Raghu
My "wants" and "needs" finding difficult to get separated and pushing not to settle for the least, I know its greedy

Will change I believe

As far as speakers, considering QA 3050i, Wharfedale 12.3, Dali Oberon 5 [ Living Room W 21 X L 15, listening area 12' W X 15' L ]

Would go for Audition on Dali Oberon 5 but postponed due to covid restrictions

I could not get a phantom center with B&W speakers. Did not have AVR then.
The KEFs do this with ease. So I guess it depends on the speakers.
Though I do not use the KEFs this way now. I have a basic AVR hosting a 3.1
In fact in my rig the AVR is the least used and utilized component.
We hardly turn it on. It has one source (TV) and powers only center channel.

AVR companies will use DACs depending on what is required for the model and what is available for their cost effective production runs.
No point splitting hairs over this one aspect.
For dolby/dts processing, the magic is all in AVR. If you need a separate DAC for music, you an always add one later.

Cheers,
Raghu

If you need a separate DAC for music, you an always add one later.

Am I right, if I could use DAC in future in this setup - Music Source to DAC to AVR [ direct mode / stereo mode ] to speakers

Hope the DAC would make the difference in the above setup ?

Am I right, if I could use DAC in future in this setup - Music Source to DAC to AVR [ direct mode / stereo mode ] to speakers

No need of DAC or no use in the AVR chain. It is inbuilt. For the IA you need DAC

Why can't you consider Anthem AVR which is good for music and movies and it is expensive but worth investing and there is no need of changing in near future....

However i bet if you go for normal latest budgeted IA you will soon will go for upgrade..

Just most of the forum members were climbing towards that step, which the sale section is an evident.

AVRs have DACs in them, capable ones too. So no real need for external DAC, unless you want different presentation, yada yada.
Cheers,
Raghu

To fish, you have to get into the water, no other way around. There is X3600H and Polk S10/20/35 available under the classified section. It will make a pretty decent system to start. Use it for a year or two, and you will get to know enough nitty-gritty before investing in an expensive system.

My "wants" and "needs" finding difficult to get separated and pushing not to settle for the least, I know its greedy

Will change I believe

As far as speakers, considering QA 3050i, Wharfedale 12.3, Dali Oberon 5 [ Living Room W 21 X L 15, listening area 12' W X 15' L ]

Would go for Audition on Dali Oberon 5 but postponed due to covid restrictions
Don't remember if I've said this before.
If buying an AVR, do consider/audition BS from the same series or other brands too.
It will be cheaper and you may use the funds saved for a beefy sub.

Cheers,
Raghu

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back