Is AV Receiver good for Music ?

In Yamaha you will not have attack which you will feel on hearing denon & Marantz. So Soft. Not for multi use for movies and Music. May be only for music it is ok

FMs your experience with Yamaha AVRs ? [ both for music and HT ]

In this thread, I don't see anyone mentioned about Yamaha AVRs or even using it ( maybe, I would have missed to note it )

Curious to know, as I find few threads [ in this forum and other Forums ] the technical issues from both Denon and Marantz AVRs faced by users

Are Yamaha AVRs as good as Denon and Marantz ? ( not in giving issues :( )
This is too generic a question to be answered specifically. All three make good AVRs, however I do see issues reported and poor service for Denon AVRs the most on this forum. But it would be wrong to make assumptions on reliability based just on this.

What are you actually looking for ? AVR or IA or both ?
If you are planning on 50:50 movies and music in a HT setup , then investing on only AVR is a no-brainer.

If you are planning on 50:50 movies and music in a HT setup , then investing on only AVR is a no-brainer.
Very true, that would be the first question I would be asking myself before going any further.

This is too generic a question to be answered specifically. All three make good AVRs, however I do see issues reported and poor service for Denon AVRs the most on this forum. But it would be wrong to make assumptions on reliability based just on this.

Very true, that would be the first question I would be asking myself before going any further.
So, am going to make a very unpopular point:
OP does have a point about Denons, especially after he has read the stuff FMs have experienced, and expressed in this forum.
And the Marantz have of course have had issues.

But to make things clear to OP, so would Yams and Onkys, at some level or stage.

From what I have read here, all these issues have been sorted (of course, by HQ, and not the local dealer, but that would be the case with every brand.)

Having said that, the new Yamahas have been getting rave reviews abroad. If you can get a hold of one of them at a good price, they will do the same things that the Denons and Marantz will do with perceived reliability, as tested by whoever got a piece for free.

Basically, @SiR it is not about the brand, but in the acceptance that today's AVRs across brands would do a lot of things well, but could always conk off.

If you find a brand that promises not to do that, that's the brand you should be looking at.

On the other hand, even a basic stereo amp would be good for music, irrespective of the speakers you choose - FOR MUSIC.

I wish it were so simple that a stereo amp would be good for Music irrespective of speakers. :)

Setting up a good stereo is anything but simple. In fact it is much more complex to get them right than a multichanel Dolby Atmos setup, once you move up from basic entry level setups.

<snip>
On the other hand, even a basic stereo amp would be good for music, irrespective of the speakers you choose - FOR MUSIC.
How I wish this was true. Would have saved me some money, time and hair on my head :p

Just yanking your chain @k-pad
If one is not anal about the presentation, sound and looks wise, yes a starter 2-ch music system is relatively easier to setup vis-a-vis HT.
But once the "keeda" enters, all bets are off

Cheers,
Raghu

I wish it were so simple that a stereo amp would be good for Music irrespective of speakers. :)
Sorry sir. Had to say it.
If SiR wants both music and movies in one, I for one - an AVR for movies and music guy - would suggest a stereo amp hooked to the TV.
Setting up a good stereo is anything but simple. In fact it is much more complex to get them right than a multichanel Dolby Atmos setup, once you move up from basic entry level setups.
I agree.

How I wish this was true. Would have saved me some money, time and hair on my head :p

If one is not anal about the presentation, sound and looks wise, yes a starter 2-ch music system is relatively easier to setup vis-a-vis HT.

Cheers,
Raghu
BEST ANSWER. (Do we have upvoting?)
Exactly what I would have told OP in as many words.
<To be read with my previous response to Bloom bhai>

Bloom@83

My doubt on their reliability [ Denon and Maratnz ] aroused only due to the service issues faced and expressed here by some FMs

It is obvious and expect anyone to think before you buy a product, if there are such issues

:D

So, am going to make a very unpopular point:
OP does have a point about Denons, especially after he has read the stuff FMs have experienced, and expressed in this forum.
And the Marantz have of course have had issues.

But to make things clear to OP, so would Yams and Onkys, at some level or stage.

From what I have read here, all these issues have been sorted (of course, by HQ, and not the local dealer, but that would be the case with every brand.)

Having said that, the new Yamahas have been getting rave reviews abroad. If you can get a hold of one of them at a good price, they will do the same things that the Denons and Marantz will do with perceived reliability, as tested by whoever got a piece for free.

Basically, @SiR it is not about the brand, but in the acceptance that today's AVRs across brands would do a lot of things well, but could always conk off.

If you find a brand that promises not to do that, that's the brand you should be looking at.

Yes, these stuffs would give problems at one point of time, but the service support is the one that could make us to consider to them

Having said that, the new Yamahas have been getting rave reviews abroad.

I came across such reviews on Yamaha's , which were on the positive note [ Of course, we should not rely on reviews alone ]

Those were the reason to put that question yesterday

Cheers,
Raghu
Raghu

I wish and pray not to loose what you lost : money. time and hair on my head :(;) for the same reason

Raghu

I wish and pray not to loose what you lost : money. time and hair on my head :(;) for the same reason
Actually, I have not lot anything mentioned above. I am the great procrastinator.
Takes me a year at least to add or replace a component in my system (from idea to finish)
Cheers,
Raghu

Here's one point in favour of music on AVR:
Orchestra Concert videos/ audios released Atmos or Auro or other Immersive formats will sound better in that format or setup.

Similarly, other albums released in those formats (including Multi-channel DTSHDMA / DSDs etc), stereos won't do justice.

IA+AVR seems to be better option, IMO. And, I would start with AVR instead of IA.

So after 9 pages on this thread , you are still not sure what you want @SiR ?

Do you think after 9 pages on a thread, we can get convinced on this :(

No my friend, I'm sure what I want but the wants are the one that drags me further

Some FMs suggested and I too think could be the best, if not right, is to start with AVR and then add IA for music listening

As mentioned in my above posts, when I think of AVRs, the reliability and the service support at present, [ including other minor things like recent price hike, Denon changed DACs in AVRs ] is a case of concern

That's the reason I asked the opinion about Yamaha AVRs from FMs

As mentioned in my above posts, when I think of AVRs, the reliability and the service support at present, [ including other minor things like recent price hike, Denon changed DACs in AVRs ] is a case of concern

That's the reason I asked the opinion about Yamaha AVRs from FMs

Getting into Hi-Fi will always be like this, one user experience doesn't mean it will be same for everyone. I have had super support for old Pioneer with Kripa Electronics.
Price hike is a thing we cannot control at all. Stuff will get pricier. My friend wanted to setup his HT but house was going to get done in December, we bought everything well in advance due to seen price hikes. Guess what, his house is still not completed and all gear is at my place boxed. But we avoided the price hike.

Have you heard any DAC till now? That change in DACs are making you think the new ones might be inferior?

New Yamaha's are good, but rarely available. I too was thinking of getting V6A but went for x3700 for its Audyssey capabilities.

I suggest you go for a lifestyle HT like ones with Sony, Samsung etc. You will have piece of mind.
Get a 2ch setup if you are not happy with music from it.

Back