Is AV Receiver good for Music ?

While audition may not be advisable, considering covid situation, could comparison videos of speakers and IAs in youtube such as E Project

can serve the purpose in understanding the performance of the components at lease to certain level ?
The room coming into play is a major problem and hence, unreliable. Perhaps if recorded in an anechoic chamber. Listening to recordings on speakers i own over YT informed me very little, if at all, about them.

The room coming into play is a major problem and hence, unreliable. Perhaps if recorded in an anechoic chamber. Listening to recordings on speakers i own over YT informed me very little, if at all, about them.
U are right in it

When listening to such comparison, yes it can't be equal to audition, still the differences between two speakers or IAs are felt

That could be the same with AVs too, if I'm right

U are right in it

When listening to such comparison, yes it can't be equal to audition, still the differences between two speakers or IAs are felt

Coincidentally, i have both loudspeakers in the above-mentioned comparison and the closest thing to the amp used i.e. the Cambridge Audio CXA81 (the one used in the vid was CXA61). Seeing that i was in somewhat a position to gauge the accuracy and adequacy of the video insofar as conveying the Sonic signature of the featured loudspeakers were concerned, i immediately listened to the comparison video through my RME ADI-2 DAC FS and Hifiman HE400is and Audio Technica M50 in order to eliminate the room and to account for the very different frequency tuning and other variable responses of both headphones (yes, that also plays a part).

Right off the bat, this video is completely and utterly useless insofar as conveying what the KEF Q350 sounds like. And the only manner in which, to my mind, it informs the listener of either loudspeaker is that the Klipschs have a more prominent treble which, again to my mind, is very little information to proceed on. Otherwise, this video falls dangerously short of conveying how these loudspeakers truly sound, especially if somebody is basing their purchase on it.

For a light Sunday afternoon chuckle, sure! :D

While audition may not be advisable, considering covid situation, could comparison videos of speakers and IAs in youtube such as E Project

can serve the purpose in understanding the performance of the components at lease to certain level ?
Not really. It serves no purpose because it depends on the mic used for recording.
And the room effect will be missing or worse misleading.

Cheers,
Raghu

Do any one use "Speaker Switch " to connect the front Left and Right Speakers to both AVR and IAs ?

If yes, what are their pros and cons as per your experience ?

Just came across this, as shown in the pic

Attachments

• Speaker  Switch.png
    Speaker Switch.png
    460.1 KB · Views: 16
It will work. You can get one made locally by forum members.
Cheers,
Raghu

Thanks for your response

I just like to know whether using such Speaker switch box have any impact on the audio output ?

will this be an alternative to HT Bypass, where I can use the same set of front speakers with AVR and IA ?

Came across the below info, just curious to know anyone using it, could share your thoughts

Do any one use "Speaker Switch " to connect the front Left and Right Speakers to both AVR and IAs ?

If yes, what are their pros and cons as per your experience ?

Just came across this, as shown in the pic

I am using a switchbox hope this is what you want. I have infact 4 sources going to the same power amp and speaker set. Following is my chain with switch buttons in order:

If you are looking for only speaker wire changes, I had one box but not able to find it anymore. But as @raghupb said it can be made.
But I would prefer running two wires and changing them manually when needed.

1) Denon x3700 AVR > O&B Power amp > QA 3050i
2) NAD 165bee Pre Amp > O&B Power amp > QA 3050i
3) FX Audio Tube 03 Pre Amp > O&B Power amp > QA 3050i
4) Any Phone with 3.5mm connection > O&B Power amp > QA 3050i

Few cons, if the interconnects are not of proper quality, it may pick up hum and frequency noises. I had issues earlier and I have replaced it with Diy Interconnects.
Swith box shouldn't play from both sources at once, my box is mechanical and doesn't require any electricity to work. Once I change the input other input pops out. I have even tried changing from 2 sources playing simultaneously did not cause any problems, but I avoid it now.

Here is the thread on it.

Never felt any AVR good for music even I don't prefer a processor for that. The difference was very evident even with an entry level stereo amplifier. Dont just blindly follow those HT fan boys. They don't even have any kind of room treatment except the youthman who add some very recently. He was even not aware that room treatment is critical for good sound. That's the reason they like auro3d upmixing even for 2 channel music, they want sound from everywhere.
Sir this was kind of raw, but I also found it funny :D
Felt personally attaked but was also laughing

I would prefer to get an integrated with a HT Bypass. When watching movies, it will take the load of the front two channels from the receiver and leave the receiver with a bit more power for the remaining channels.

U are right in it

Does not look like the speakers are level matched. Maybe, he has kept the volume knob the same but due to the higher sensitivity of Klipsch, it is playing louder. In a comparison, all things should be equal.

I am using a switchbox hope this is what you want. I have infact 4 sources going to the same power amp and speaker set.
I went through your thread, couldn't find the switch box name. Probably, I missed it. Can you share a link/ name for the switch box?

Currently, I'm using X4700>TracAudio IA > Front L/R floor standers.

The IA has a switch, which allows me to switch between Denon Pre outs or IA's sources (Bluetooth/ USB / aux etc) . That way, I can just turn on IA and it allows me to use it as stand alone setup.
That satisfies the need as of now, but knowing the option will help me, if I decide to add more sources.

I am using a switchbox hope this is what you want. I have infact 4 sources going to the same power amp and speaker set. Following is my chain with switch buttons in order:

If you are looking for only speaker wire changes, I had one box but not able to find it anymore. But as @raghupb said it can be made.
But I would prefer running two wires and changing them manually when needed.

1) Denon x3700 AVR > O&B Power amp > QA 3050i
2) NAD 165bee Pre Amp > O&B Power amp > QA 3050i
3) FX Audio Tube 03 Pre Amp > O&B Power amp > QA 3050i
4) Any Phone with 3.5mm connection > O&B Power amp > QA 3050i

Few cons, if the interconnects are not of proper quality, it may pick up hum and frequency noises. I had issues earlier and I have replaced it with Diy Interconnects.
Swith box shouldn't play from both sources at once, my box is mechanical and doesn't require any electricity to work. Once I change the input other input pops out. I have even tried changing from 2 sources playing simultaneously did not cause any problems, but I avoid it now.

Here is the thread on it.

I've seen your thread, saw the speaker switch box in it

Is there any reason to avoid it now ?

I would prefer to get an integrated with a HT Bypass. When watching movies, it will take the load of the front two channels from the receiver and leave the receiver with a bit more power for the remaining channels.
Came across this HT bypass setup for both the music and movie experience, with the same front speakers

Just want to know any other option ( like the "Speaker Switch" ) to have the same experience and how practically possible to have it

I went through your thread, couldn't find the switch box name. Probably, I missed it. Can you share a link/ name for the switch box?

Currently, I'm using X4700>TracAudio IA > Front L/R floor standers.

The IA has a switch, which allows me to switch between Denon Pre outs or IA's sources (Bluetooth/ USB / aux etc) . That way, I can just turn on IA and it allows me to use it as stand alone setup.
That satisfies the need as of now, but knowing the option will help me, if I decide to add more sources.

The switchbox I use is strictly if one has a power amplifier and want to use multiple sources. This has one RCA out and 4 RCA in's.
A IA with HT bypass is the best way to go, if you want best of the both worlds.
I was in a similar search, had eyes on Audiolab 6000A for quite sometime, but did not want to spend so much.

I've seen your thread, saw the speaker switch box in it
Is there any reason to avoid it now ?

Can name a few:
Power amp preferred.
Your AVR should have Pre outs,
Need a IA with pre outs, without HTbypass will do. But Pre Out is must
Needs a pre amp to run a power amp, phone works too but pre amp sounds beautiful.

Here is the link of the switchbox: https://amzn.to/3qCBZml

@SiR you can try this, get a AVR with Pre Outs for now with 2 speakers and a subwoofer if possible.
Enjoy it few months, then from the pre owned market get a used IA.
Hook up the IA to your existing speakers, add a good source and listen the difference.

If you like IA, you know what can better IA's do now. If you don't, you haven't broken your bank, a pre owned IA can come under 20k too.

I started my journey with AVR's too, bought a IA later just to see how it sounds on my system. That too was given to me by a friend a NAD320BEE which was more than 10-12 yrs old. But it blew me away, not that my Denon x3700 is bad but I love the pure sound a 2ch throws out. Since then 90% of my listening is on IA's or separates and not AVR.

This not may be the case with you, you may like the AVR more than IA. But you will accomplish 2 things:
1) Not spend unnecessary in one go, spend wisely over a period of time slowly.
2) The journey of changes these gadgets will bring to your system.

Point number two is the important one, the learning curve of the journey to get best sound in your room. This is a never ending loop, but you will learn a lot and enjoy the journey. What pleases you matters most and not our opinions :)

Friends, hope the above one will clear the doubt about using an AV Receiver for Music.

Further, with my personal experience during audition, two days back, listened to same tracks with both IA and AV Receiver, found music from AV receiver was enjoyable.

Of course with few tweaks in AV, was able to hear considerable differences.

Music was room filling (NOT Sound)

Before, I was confused whether to go for IA or AV for music, though yet not decided on it.

If anyone have experienced the same, pls give your inputs.

Regards
It depends. firstly the price and secondly how picky you are as a listener. generally the mid to upper avr sounds good on music too. But if you are picky and look for how fast and tight is bass response, how smooth is high frequency sounds etc then you might not like avr in a stereo setup.

The switchbox I use is strictly if one has a power amplifier and want to use multiple sources. This has one RCA out and 4 RCA in's.
A IA with HT bypass is the best way to go, if you want best of the both worlds.
I was in a similar search, had eyes on Audiolab 6000A for quite sometime, but did not want to spend so much.

Can name a few:
Power amp preferred.
Your AVR should have Pre outs,
Need a IA with pre outs, without HTbypass will do. But Pre Out is must
Needs a pre amp to run a power amp, phone works too but pre amp sounds beautiful.

Here is the link of the switchbox: https://amzn.to/3qCBZml

@SiR you can try this, get a AVR with Pre Outs for now with 2 speakers and a subwoofer if possible.
Enjoy it few months, then from the pre owned market get a used IA.
Hook up the IA to your existing speakers, add a good source and listen the difference.

If you like IA, you know what can better IA's do now. If you don't, you haven't broken your bank, a pre owned IA can come under 20k too.

I started my journey with AVR's too, bought a IA later just to see how it sounds on my system. That too was given to me by a friend a NAD320BEE which was more than 10-12 yrs old. But it blew me away, not that my Denon x3700 is bad but I love the pure sound a 2ch throws out. Since then 90% of my listening is on IA's or separates and not AVR.

This not may be the case with you, you may like the AVR more than IA. But you will accomplish 2 things:
1) Not spend unnecessary in one go, spend wisely over a period of time slowly.
2) The journey of changes these gadgets will bring to your system.

Point number two is the important one, the learning curve of the journey to get best sound in your room. This is a never ending loop, but you will learn a lot and enjoy the journey. What pleases you matters most and not our opinions :)
Thanks for your response

What you stated as suggestion is the one I'm considering, since came through the Speaker Switch, wanted to know the experience of FMs, if they have used it.

FMs your experience with Yamaha AVRs ? [ both for music and HT ]

In this thread, I don't see anyone mentioned about Yamaha AVRs or even using it ( maybe, I would have missed to note it )

Curious to know, as I find few threads [ in this forum and other Forums ] the technical issues from both Denon and Marantz AVRs faced by users

Are Yamaha AVRs as good as Denon and Marantz ? ( not in giving issues :( )

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back