Is AV Receiver good for Music ?

They are good speakers for music and movies but your ears would be a better judge.
For Qacoustics 3050, you can DM fm Sean de Silva and for Dali Oberon 5, you can get in touch with Argho.
Both of them are happy with their speakers. For your room size they should easily suffice.
Thanks

Will do it

Speakers for the room size mentioned above, I prefer to go for either Q Acoustics 3050i or Wharfedale 12.3 or DALI Oberon 5
[ Still not finalized ]

Hope these will be good for the music preference, clubbed with a good AVR
No experience with the Wharfdale, but you can't go wrong with the QA 3050s and the Oberon 5s.
Both are great all rounders with almost no faults. The 3050 will even deliver good low end grunt.
All the best

Not yet

But, if I finalize, it could be from Denon X3700 or X4700 or if Marantz SR5015

Still IA is in my consideration
x4700 is a good AVR. I am assuming you have plans to add multi channel setup , for which this AVR makes sense.

However if music listening is going to be your main agenda in the foreseeable future , for the price of this AVR you can get IAs which will give a much more enjoyable stereo experience with wider soundstage , better dynamic range and sheer grunt and punch, without the need for any software room correction. It will perform good for 2 channel movies too.

However if you have definite plans to add 5 or 7 channels , enjoy Atmos , this AVR makes perfect sense.
You need to weigh your decision on these two factors.My two paise.

Denon x3700 = Marantz 60xx
Denon x4700 - Marantz 70xx
Hope you equalize it, based on performance

@ssf is right,

That said even though Both Denon and Marantz fall under same parent company, they are developed slightly different. Marantz uses slightly better components and thats why the price difference.

Denon is geared more towards movies than music.
Marantz is geared towards music and than movies.

Above AVRs are best in that price bracket.

Bloom@83

You need to weigh your decision on these two factors.My two paise.
o_Oo_O

That is what seems to be a big decision making, when you are in likes of both worlds, unfortunately

I have to take time to get audition of both the setup, as much as possible and see which one goes fine with me

Right now, AVR is in consideration but still not signed off IA's

Few IA's are also in mind

Hope you equalize it, based on performance
Look them up on the net. There are various sites that provide a good comparison between AVRs. Like the one below for starters.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/comp...71156-REG_1585646-REG_1430164-REG_1439893-REG

AVR retailers and manufacturers are notorious for providing misleading information especially on power ratings so make sure you compare on similar specs. For power ratings, the one that matters is the power rating at 8 Ohms 20hz to 20 Hkz, 2 channel driven.

Thanks for the input

But I doubt, practically will it be possible to keep & use the speakers in 1/3 - 2/3 ratio ?

Having 15' L of living room and to keep the speaker at 1/3, it will be at 5' and the couch at 2/3, it will be at 10'

So the distance from the speaker to the couch will be only 5' and back to the couch, there will be 5', left unused

Hope, I understood you correctly, to what you said and my doubt is valid

Regarding Denon, its not only the Hardware problem, also few other factors like, change in their DAC, where recently AKM was replaced by other DAC [ recent fire in AKM factory ]
I don’t think the dac chips are just swappable, denon should have already changed the circuit to get it adjusted to the different chip. But now I am also not sure if the measured version was with AKM or not

Marantz tuned it differently, feature wise they are same, in fact Marantz versions objectively sound way worse than denons. But some people like the resultant sound of Marantz. Denon doesn’t have a sound of its own, Marantz has one !

Now I am not saying that you must follow measurements, totally depends on if you value those things. There is nothing wrong is choosing one camp.

In case if you want to know how they measure :

Last edited:
I don’t think the dac chips are just swappable, denon should have already changed the circuit to get it adjusted to the different chip. But now I am also not sure if the measured version was with AKM or not

Thanks for the input

But I doubt, practically will it be possible to keep & use the speakers in 1/3 - 2/3 ratio ?

Having 15' L of living room and to keep the speaker at 1/3, it will be at 5' and the couch at 2/3, it will be at 10'

So the distance from the speaker to the couch will be only 5' and back to the couch, there will be 5', left unused

Hope, I understood you correctly, to what you said and my doubt is valid

Regarding Denon, its not only the Hardware problem, also few other factors like, change in their DAC, where recently AKM was replaced by other DAC [ recent fire in AKM factory ]
Yes there would be 5 feet behind the couch. It’s to avoid the wall boundary gain of the bass. In fact I tried it in 3 rooms and with 5 different pairs of speakers and it worked all the time. With some speakers the bass became a bit lighter, then it needs to be moved back closer to the wall, but on doing so, the soundstage looses some depth. I kind of like the bass losing trade off compared to the loosing the feeling of “inside the sound”

A dedicated stereo amplifier similar price to a multichannel AVR is supposedly better for two-channel audio amplification. The best way is to compare the is to side by side and see whether there is a noticeable and practical difference. I have two different sets, one devoted to theatre and music. Music is an emotion, while a movie brings it to reality. But why make it difficult if you don't have to!

Marantz tuned it differently, feature wise they are same, in fact Marantz versions objectively sound way worse than denons. But some people like the resultant sound of Marantz. Denon doesn’t have a sound of its own, Marantz has one !
Count me in that camp :)
Before my Marantz AVR, i got a denon whose sound simply didn't resonate with me.

Hi,

Unless otherwise you are adding a DAC in the Integrated setup it will not sound "SO" good. You have to add a cost/budget for Separate DAC also if you are going with IA.

AVR don't need DAC.

Also if you are going with bigger drivers say 12 incher or 15 incher no need to add sub-woofer, going with small woofers like 4 / 6 inch BS or FS need Sub-woofer too. Most of the bookshelves will have a cut off at 70hz and will not go low.

Regards

AV receivers are ENOUGH for music. However, if you're an audiophile, you'll quickly learn that these are nothing but garbage and you will want to buy a more stable auxiliary output for your music to sound much better.
There are some receivers that sound bad and then there are some integrated amps that also sound bad.
It's better if the person buying one, hears for himself/herself what sounds good subjectively.

To add this thread-

Yes, certain avrs are good for music though not the best option. NAD, Arcam ,Marantz can be few of those.But once you listen to stereo amps, its difficult to listen music seriously with avr. If you add a DAC to avr ,then yes some improvement will be there. If you by chance listen to Pre-power, then it may be hard to listen the stereo amp too. The comparison should be fair from price or category point of view(mid or high end). My opinion is based on what l experimented and experienced so far. :)

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back