Is AV Receiver good for Music ?

but is there any specific reason for the same on the Stands ?
Good question. This was suggested by an FM on the forum whose opinion I respect. Also, a good question on distance. My seating is around 15 feet from the front speakers and it benefits to raise the height of the speakers by an inch for the distance. The room extends for another 11 feet behind me.

My speaker positioning is far from ideal but I have to make do as this is in my living room.

I have a few video's posted on the Quads. I know, youtube compression, phone recording and all but it might give you an idea of bookshelfs in normal sized rooms.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCviB2rLb7dYIkaVNzI34YQw

Last edited:
Just like to add few observations:
Lately I am listening to music on AVR, specially late nights with low or moderately normal levels and I am Enjoying it!

Using Spotify or Tidal via Network to AVR, fronts using a PowerAmp. And yes it is making a definite difference, silky smooth highs and controlled bass. Though the dynamics and imaging are not like a when adding a dedicated pre amp but it is still very very good, solid!

This usually happens after I finish a session of gaming or movie/TV series on AVR. Open Tidal or Spotify, find a playlist, play to AVR in Pure Direct mode, so no subwoofer or any digital processing.
And those Jazz or guitar strings plucking at low volumes is a bliss to listen, late night means no noise (though Windows are closed most of the time when I listen) the room also is dead silent without fans needed right now. Except for the laptop cooling fan making very faint noise.

I have started to like my Denon x3700 more now :p

Last edited:
Good question. This was suggested by an FM on the forum whose opinion I respect. Also, a good question on distance. My seating is around 15 feet from the front speakers and it benefits to raise the height of the speakers by an inch for the distance. The room extends for another 11 feet behind me.

My speaker positioning is far from ideal but I have to make do as this is in my living room.

I have a few video's posted on the Quads. I know, youtube compression, phone recording and all but it might give you an idea of bookshelfs in normal sized rooms.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCviB2rLb7dYIkaVNzI34YQw

saw your videos - can guess to some extent, how good Quad S2 could be

But surprised to see two BS, one over the other, of course you have stated the reason for it

But surprised to see two BS, one over the other, of course you have stated the reason for it
The Wharfedale D225's over my Quad S2's are my height speakers that were originally supposed to be placed above the TV. My wife was not too happy having big bookshelfs above the TV. So, they remained on top of my quads. Not at all recommended as the stands are not made to carry two speakers and it gets very unstable an even a small nudge can topple the speakers.

As far as how it sounds, the quads have not suffered much from another speakers being placed on top of it. At least not as far as I can hear. Auro 3D music in this setup sounds quite nice with a big front soundstage.

I tried it all but, even a mid quality separate amp is better than a high quality AVR. just my personal opinion. YMMV
I second this. Had the NAD t757 AVR - was beautiful for music and quite powerful for movies. When that went kaput, got a NAD 356 integrated amp, and boy, the musicality and definition are just too good. The t757 was better than most AVRs, but nothing to beat the integrated or separates setup when it comes to music, IMHO.

Adding a DAC to your AVR will beget very little gains.

I had a chord mojo and i couldn't realise it's potential till i got myself a competent amp in the Cambridge Audio CXA81. The improvements over the internal DAC were far less evident over the Marantz SR6013.

Similarly, the improvements in the RME ADI 2 DAC FS i got recently are hardly noticeable over the Chord Mojo when connected to the CXA81 (can't say one is better than the other). it'll need a more competent amp.
That’s because Marantz avr converts analog to digital before controlling the volume. So if you connect chord mojo to one of its line inputs, then the avr converts it to digital first with its inferior ADC, and then sends it to preamp and amp, killing the value of the DAC. I think denon and arcam doesn’t do this conversion.

In stereo amp this won’t happen, and its more true to the dac. Again, end of the day, this truthfulness stops around 1 meter infront of the speaker, in a reflective room and then the room plays its role in the sound reaching the listening spot. This part adds more “color” to the sound than the inferior ADC /DAC in a receiver.

Using the DSP in a receiver to correct this fixes this problem to a good extend, so using a DSP in front end has more benefits than the issues that it creatEs in terms of lowering SNR and so on.

Result it variable depending on room. If you have a treated room then all these blingy perfect DACs and amps are going to make more sense.

A poor amp in a good room sounds better than a good amp in a bad room.

That’s because Marantz avr converts analog to digital before controlling the volume.
That makes sense. My CXA81 is entirely lent the Marantzs colouration if i use the latter as a preamp.
So if you connect chord mojo to one of its line inputs, then the avr converts it to digital first with its inferior ADC, and then sends it to preamp and amp, killing the value of the DAC. I think denon and arcam doesn’t do this conversion.

In stereo amp this won’t happen, and its more true to the dac. Again, end of the day, this truthfulness stops around 1 meter infront of the speaker, in a reflective room and then the room plays its role in the sound reaching the listening spot. This part adds more “color” to the sound than the inferior ADC /DAC in a receiver.

Using the DSP in a receiver to correct this fixes this problem to a good extend, so using a DSP in front end has more benefits than the issues that it creatEs in terms of lowering SNR and so on.
Cannot disagree with that.
Result it variable depending on room. If you have a treated room then all these blingy perfect DACs and amps are going to make more sense.
I have a treated room :)
I was reiterating the same to an FM who I'd hosted today.

So yes, in a treated room, the chord mojo absolutely rocks.

Last edited:
That’s because Marantz avr converts analog to digital before controlling the volume. So if you connect chord mojo to one of its line inputs, then the avr converts it to digital first with its inferior ADC, and then sends it to preamp and amp, killing the value of the DAC. I think denon and arcam doesn’t do this conversion.

Have you heard a good set of hi fi speakers driven by a competent amp on an open rooftop without surrounding buildings?

Idea is good, but I think I m good with some DSP.
Jokes apart, the two times i heard loudspeakers sound absolutely phenomenal was in such a setting. The first occasion was when i heard a decent-ish but still run of the mill sony hifi some 14 years ago. The tracks i heard and what i heard in those tracks still resonates with me. In fact, it became my reference point for how those tracks should sound whenever i set up a system.

Will this have an impact on how we listen Music ?

Maybe, then AVR will be good for Music ?!?!?!?

I do listen to Dolby Atmos music but it is 1-3% of all the listening I do.

Reasons: This is mostly available on streaming services, quality is not at par with the 2ch music, only music I got good 5.1 was when I heard DSD.
Most music was 48khz.

Some songs were mixed just for the sake of it, meaning center channel was missing vocals. The vocals where from Left and Right channel, like traditional 2ch.

But that said I do enjoy some songs, but nowhere close to I enjoy 2ch.

Maybe with coming days I hope to see this getting better and the mix is as good as we get hi res right now.

Yes in some very well mixed albums. They sound really good in Atmos. However, the issue is most tracks are poorly mixed in Atmos which is annoying to listen. Try out The Weeknd’s Dawn FM & After Hours — they sound really good in Atmos.

In most cases it’s 2 channel music that sounds best though.

If someone is picky he would want stereo for music not surround. If an average John Doe wants to kill time, he wouldn't mind listening Doris Day in 7.2.

Ha, an old thread resurrected after a few moons.

I must have said this earlier. Yes, A TOTL AVR is good for music. Now if one wants to listen to music in Atmos, DTS or Auro 3d well go ahead. Whatever floats your boat. I Listen to Auro 3d on occasion and I think it's tuned quite nicely to music. Can't say the same for DTS.

Coming to the subject, I had the venerable Marantz PM 8006 for a good while. Compared it with my SR7010 in pure direct. Let me tell you this. No day and night difference. Same Marantz house sound. Maybe a bit more of the V curve on the integrated. The only plus I saw was the tone controls for bass, mids and highs.

Did I say this earlier ? Yes, A TOTL AVR is good for music for the most of us.

Edit: Sorry, forgot to mention. My Quads did not come alive when connected to the integrated. They were as dead as they were when played fron the 7010.

Both sounded very nice though.

Last edited:
Que Sera Sera.

I'm guilty of listening to Doris Day on 7.1
That and a similar song "yesterday once more", Carpenters, i was listening to in 7.2 on a repeat loop and i am pretty sure I did not mind those extra speakers as i am the average John Doe and i am not too keen in spending more on a free-standing pure stereo setup just so that i brag about better music reaching my ears. The sound stage encompasses all formats as i am not an audiophile. For the most part i do the things that pleases me right away. Maybe a tube amplifier is a better choice for those types of songs huh?!

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back