Is it time for another DIY workshop in Bangalore?

... Thanks to all those who stayed back for a visit to our modest 'workshop'. Unfortunately, we couldn't accommodate everyone that day but would be happy to arrange another visit.

A lot of credit for the wood shop should go to Antony and Sunil. After I heard their lecture on speaker design in the last meet, I decided to build one for myself. But when I discovered how difficult finding a competent carpenter is, I put the drivers in the top shelf and decided to solve the woodwork problem :) I have no idea what shape it will take but I am determined to get to the point when I don't feel helpless and dependent when I need a cabinet or a PCB or a amplifier chassis. ...

Well you have taken a quantum leap my friend... :thumbsup: now you have a superb collection of woodworking tools at your disposal. I missed that session on Sunday, but would like to be there next time it happens.

BTW I am planning to buy a dremel, hopefully the upcoming wood workshop will help me in choosing the right model.

Even though this was only my third HiFi meet and it felt more like meeting old friends than a conventional seminar.

Amen to that!

Thanks to all those who stayed back for a visit to our modest 'workshop'. Unfortunately, we couldn't accommodate everyone that day but would be happy to arrange another visit.

Couldn't make it but would love to visit some other time...the 'modest' workshop looks ah-sum in the pics :clapping:

BTW, what happened to the beer?

There was beer??? :mad: I wanna reconvene...

BTW I am planning to buy a dremel, hopefully the upcoming wood workshop will help me in choosing the right model.

Had to google what dremel meant...looks like I have a long way to go on this front :sad:

BTW, thanks Antony! your session was very informative...I realized the science behind speaker/amp selection based on one's choice of music...:clapping:

@thatguy

You have got a nice collection of tools, great and keep adding more tools. I am also using the same B&D router. Couple of months back one of my cousin brought a DESI Brand (Endico) wood router and the circle cutting Jig comes with that is really awesome. We can even make a 1" dia cut with that. The Jig is very simple and 100% reliable.

By the way from where did you brought your table saw and how much does it cost? How is your experience with it? Can we make Bevel cut with that? What are the attachments came with that?

I am planning to get one along with miter and band saw. Even a table top lathe is also in my list. Planning to get them during my next visit to Coimbatore.

Thanks,
Bibin

George then introduced his carpenter Mangaram to all of us and encouraged us to get in touch with him if we had a requirement.

Can someone who is part of GRR group buy get in touch with this gentleman and get a quote for our cabinet building. As of now, cabinets for the following kits are needed to be made.

X-LS Encore 10 pairs
X-CS Encore 6 Nos.
A/V-1RS 3 pairs
SW-12B/SA-1 Subwoofer 3 Nos
SW-12-04 / A370PEQ Servo Subwoofer 2 Nos

Thanks to all those who stayed back for a visit to our modest 'workshop'. Unfortunately, we couldn't accommodate everyone that day but would be happy to arrange another visit.

A lot of credit for the wood shop should go to Antony and Sunil. After I heard their lecture on speaker design in the last meet, I decided to build one for myself. But when I discovered how difficult finding a competent carpenter is, I put the drivers in the top shelf and decided to solve the woodwork problem.

I'm not sure if you have reached a level where you along with your friend can take up the above work for the benefit of FMs (for a fee of course) but if you can do it, nothing like it.

I have very few photos which I will upload from home later today. FM sbg has captured a lot of photos and video will share shortly.

We are looking forward to the link of the video on Youtube.

... Couple of months back one of my cousin brought a DESI Brand (Endico) wood router and the circle cutting Jig comes with that is really awesome. We can even make a 1" dia cut with that. The Jig is very simple and 100% reliable....

Can you share more info on this router and attachments, especially the price.

Thanks

Can you share more info on this router and attachments, especially the price.

Thanks

Hi Antony,

Nice to hear from you. How are you?

Please follow the link to find more details about the router.
Woodworking Electric Router Machinery, Machines Manufacturer & Exporter india

The cost is much cheaper than the Black and Decker, i think it cost around 3.5K for the Kit (Router,few bits, circle cutting jig, DVD with some tutorials etc). Another great thing is all the spares are easily available.

With my B&D router it is very difficult to make small circle cuts with the provided jig. We need to modify it or make our own Jig for cutting small circles.

Thanks,
Bibin

@thatguy

You have got a nice collection of tools, great and keep adding more tools. I am also using the same B&D router. Couple of months back one of my cousin brought a DESI Brand (Endico) wood router and the circle cutting Jig comes with that is really awesome. We can even make a 1" dia cut with that. The Jig is very simple and 100% reliable.

By the way from where did you brought your table saw and how much does it cost? How is your experience with it? Can we make Bevel cut with that? What are the attachments came with that?

I am planning to get one along with miter and band saw. Even a table top lathe is also in my list. Planning to get them during my next visit to Coimbatore.

Thanks,
Bibin

Rajat showed us. Bevel cut is possible in that Bosch Table saw. Thanks for that link of Endico router, I am looking to buy one too.

Bevel cutting is possible in a table / circular / jig saw

I have a circular and Jig saw with the option to cut bevel, but it is very difficult to set the angle accurately on them. And also to set back the saw blade back to 0 deg. without a combination square is a dream.

That's actually i want to know abt in this Bosch Table saw, the Ease and Accuracy of setting the angel of saw blade without using a combination square?
Sajith, any idea about the cost of that Table Saw?

Thanks,
Bibin

There was beer??? :mad: I wanna reconvene...

I thought the plan was to go to TOIT after the meet and get wasted :) Lets schedule at least one beer session next time.

I'm not sure if you have reached a level where you along with your friend can take up the above work for the benefit of FMs (for a fee of course) but if you can do it, nothing like it.

Capt.

while we would love to do it, we both have full time jobs and are unprepared for such a large project. Also, being enthusiasts rather than professionals, we demand involvement of the person for whom we are working.

However, if anyone in Bangalore wants to get his cabinet built, we would be more than happy to help. Since all the work will be done by the two of us, you have to be patient in dealing with us. We are both obsessive about 'getting it right' and work very slowly :)

Last edited:

We bought it in Bangalore from Sri Varu (K R Market, near the mosque) for ~43k. You can tilt the blade till 45 degrees for bevel cuts.

We received it last week so haven't been able to do any serious work on it. We will tell you in a few months how it goes :)

The router came with straight fence and a miter fence.

The Wood working session at Rajats.

Please take note of all the simple Tricks and Suggestions by Rajat and Dinesh during the session as these are not wishful ideas but out of real time hands on exp.
I too have gone thru this pain of "Corrective Woodworking" instead of "Intelligent Woodworking", so this can help in saving time and lot of scraps.

And taking this opportunity to thank everyone at the meet and Anutone for all the invaluable service and time shared for DIY.

Tips, Tricks,How To, Work Arounds using Tools with Rajat & Dinesh

Tips, Tricks,How To, Work Arounds using Tools with Rajat
Making the DIY Jig for Circular holes with Dinesh

Assembling the Jig to Router with Rajat

Setting up the Baffle for the Countersink/hole

Setting up the Router and the CounterSink Cut with Rajat

The CounterSink-Cut continued - dissambly with Rajat

The final Cut - with Rajat

The front baffle ready for the Speaker Enclosure

...That is it for Some inspirations to Finish my DIY too.

OMG... my second session was worse than I thought :eek:. I will try to make it up to you all and post the "actual" presentation along with annotations in this thread.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back