Is it time for another DIY workshop in Bangalore?

It was a good meet. More new faces this time. Especially good to see Sreenest and Iaudio from God's Own country.

Also thanks should go to GeorgeO, Anilva and Santhosh for putting it al together...

:clapping:

May there be many more....:licklips:

It was great to be a part of the hfv diy meet at Anutone.

Lots of new info! Even better to meet so many fellow members!
Big thanks to GeorgeO, Santhosh and Anilva for their initiative in organising this meet.
And ofcourse kudos to Anutone for their generosity.

I enjoyed the day thoroughly. There were very many open and frank discussions, opinions and knowledge exchanged.

There was a sense of fraternity and brotherhood. Thanks in particular to our Vintage Guru 'Rajiv' to come all the way from Chennai to share some of his insights with all of us. Also thanks to all others who came from outstation. Antony did his usual 'can do in my sleep' discourse on speakers (which he literally did with virtually no sleep whole of last night due to some personal emergency). Very very informative to many. Steven did a nice story board on Vinyl but had to make do with sub-optimal slide transitions due to ioffice to MS Office conversion.

Special thanks to Philip Issac of Lizzner Electronics to come and tell us all about Soldering and few other tips.

Thanks to Anutone for enabling this meet on a regular basis in Bangalore. Their generosity on tea and lunch is very much appreciated too.

Also spotted was Linuxguru showing his next generation Chipamp and discrete opamp designs on the side lines.

Thanks to Santhosh and ever enthusiastic George of course for taking this initiative.

Great to see such good participation.

Now for the next round....

Cheers.

+ to what Anil posted. I found a couple of things interesting in yesterday's session:

Most, if not all who came and participated stayed right through till the end-contrary to what I expected.

The enthu now for diy is clear-be it subwoofers, chip amps, speakers, room treatment, and so on. Enthusiasts are motivated, better educated and better funded.

Rajiv is obviously knowledgeable about other aspects of diy and his willingness to come and join us is commendable, and I for one look forward to more interaction with him.

The spirit of fellowship and sharing is definitely something to build on, as was the opportunity to connect name and face.

I forgot to collect my pen drive yesterday after the presentation yesterday, it was left on the laptop on the lectern. Could either Antony or Raghu let me know if is with either of them? It silver coloured and has a Formula 1 form factor, and has a cap.

Thanks.

Wow!! What a meet we had yesterday?!. Simply fantastic!! Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Just to summarise...
We started the day with introductions so we can put a face to the name (handle rather). It was good to see some new faces and members (Titus, Sreenest and Rajiv) from other states who had travelled down for the meet.

Anthony did a very detailed session (in two parts) on speaker building where he covered some fundamentals of sound, driver parameters, enclosure types etc thus giving us an idea on selection of drivers and design for speaker building. His presentation was quite elaborate and he explained some very complex concepts in a way that we all could understand. Like Anil mentioned, Anthony had little sleep and long travel the previous night and had to re-do his presentation as he did not have the time to go home and then come to the meet. Kudo Anthony!! Appreciate your commitment :cheers:

Philip Isaacs then spoke very passionately about DIY Electronics as a hobby, advantages of using a multimeter, soldering techniques, do's and don'ts. Philip though not a member on HFV, is quite regular in our meets. He spoke from the heart and he added a bit of humour thus making the session very interesting and enjoyable. He even distributed packets of Rosin to those interested.

This was followed by session on turntables Stevieboy & Rajiv. Those of us who have read Stevie's 3 part story of his Turntable Gerald already know about this creative writing skills and he exceeded our expectations, except for a glitch while converting his preso from apple to windows format. Rajiv and I had seen his presentation the previous day at his place and it was a very funky one. Nevertheless, Steve had all of us tracking well while he explained about his journey and basic aspects of a TT. We all know that Rajiv is one of the few veterans and "goto" members for all things vintage and analog. He demonstrated to us how the various parts of the TT and how we can setup a TT on our own. Thanks Steve and Rajiv for demystifying the various aspects of owning a TT. Surely this will get more and more enthusiasts to embrace the Vinyl hobby.

We took a break for some tasty packed lunch organised by Anutone. Thanks Anutone for this and providing us with the venue for our meets, time and again.

George then introduced his carpenter Mangaram to all of us and encouraged us to get in touch with him if we had a requirement. Mangaram has successfully built several speaker for George, photos of which George shared with us.

Thatguy (Dinesh) then took a few of us (Vivek, stevieboy, sbg, stevieboy, buswal, josephjohnt, Rajiv, cmsajith & I) to his friend's (Rajat) house for the workshop on wood-working. The duo had a room dedicated for their wood-working hobby. The room was filled with DIY tools including a compact table saw, routers, power drills etc. Rajat spoke to us about how he got into this hobby and how important precision tools were in this hobby. They demonstrated to us how they cut a circular step in the wood using a router - something that we all need when we need to mount a driver flush to the baffle. Thanks a lot guys, we were all truly inspired by your enthusiasm :) . Keep us posted on this fantastic hobby of yours, most of us would be interested.

The participation, interest levels & enthusiasm was very encouraging for the organising team. Let us keep it this way and grow this wonderful DIY community of ours. Many thanks to George, Anil, Raghu & Anutone for making this possible.

I am already looking forward to the next meet :).

PS: I have very few photos which I will upload from home later today. FM sbg has captured a lot of photos and video will share shortly.

Last edited:
A great session! Good to see old friends, make some new ones. A big thanks to Santhosh, Anilva and George for organizing the meet and to Anutone for their superb hospitality (as always). A great session by Antony despite him missing sleep the night before. It helped reinforce concepts presented the first time which were fresh for newbies like myself to speaker building. Have a better idea now of the parameters involved. Philips talked about soldering and the things to take care of while starting off, practice makes perfect he said, makes good sense to do that before tackling the DIY CNC MC phono build. Thanks to thatguy :) (Dinesh has been officially rebranded at the meet) for taking us to his joint venture wood working shop with his friend Rajat and showing us some of the tools one would use in DIY work. Turns out there's a lot to tackle to get things just right like the surprising fact that a lot of tools are not precise to start with!

Overall a very nice weekend! :)

Thanks to the organizers and it was a great opportunity for the DIYers to meet up and share their expertise. We need to keepup the same enthu and need to have meets like this to discuss on specific topics like DIY amp / Pre / DACs / whatever.

Also thanks to Anutone for providing such a wonderful venue and food.

A great day indeed! Thanks to the organizers, presenters and participants.

Pics album is here ImageShack Album - 67 images
(Not sure if this is the best place to upload the pics, can be moved if needed)

Could you please post it to flickr / picasa as imageshack is blocked in most of the offices.

Last edited:
Thanks, great pictures! The preamp is the Grounded Grid from Transcendent Sound, I brought it to illustrate to participants an example of a well soldered job, which was done a few years ago for me by Philip Isaac. The kit cost $499, assembled costs (only!) $799.

An excellent and a purposeful meet and a great weekend :)

Thanks to ...
... The organizers for initiating this meet
... Philip Issac of Lizzner Electronics for his Gyan on soldering tips & techniques
... Linuxguru for sharing about the next generation Chipamp and discrete opamp designs
... Steve for his presentation about turntables and its components
... Anotony for his presentation about loudspeaker
... Fellow HFV buddies who had come all the way from outstation ... Keep joining us every time :)
... Raghu (Anutone) for hosting the HFV members at their venue

To every single member for making this meet a meaningful one.

Organizers when is the next one? :p

:cheers:

Thanks to Anil, George & Santhosh for organizing a great meet and Anutone for being a gracious host.

It was indeed a well motivated and knowledgeable group of enthusiasts. The interactive sessions were simulating and informative for me. Thank you all.

Stevie's presentation was enlightening with some catchy creative writing. Kudos Stevie... it inspired me to read your Gerald story. Philip Issac's session was also well laced with humor making it all the more enjoyable.

It was good to have vintage speaker expert Rajiv for the meet. I am looking forward for more interactions and learn from his experience.

As other FM's rightly indicated, let's keep up the enthusiasm and organize similar meets in the near future to explore interesting DIY topics like chassis building, Amps, Dacs, NAS etc.

...once again, thanks to the organizers for their support.

Hi,

Yesterday's meet was fantastic.The enthusiasm and energy of the participants could be felt in the air.I really enjoyed myself.It was great to meet up with old friends and make new ones.

Thank you Santosh,Anil and George for organising this meet.

Anutone, once again hosted the show and their support is truly wonderful for the DIY/HiFi community.

Philip Issac's session on soldering was informative and very entertaining. Steven's presentation on turntables and his vinyl journey was great, despite the glitch caused while converting from Apple to Windows .

Even though he was battling the effects of sleep deprivation Antony's sessions on speaker building was very informative and useful.

The woodworking session at Dinesh's friends home was an eye opener for me. The range of tools they have at their disposal is impressive.

I for one would love to attend more meets like this and interact and learn from the other participants.

Regards
Rajiv

Thanks for the Organizers.

It was quite an interesting day. Came across many enthusiastic DIYers.
But due to personal reasons, I had to leave after the 1st half.

Will be interested to join more such group meets in the future.

Thanks once again.

Regards,
Ganesh

Sorry could not make it! An emergency out-of-station had to go. So you folks had a wonderful time (checked the snaps too!!) good! Great work santosh, george et al. and the organisers, host! Keep it going through every year!

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back