Is its possible to use existing amplifier as a subwoofer amp

changappa

HI,EVERYBODY.
Straight question may be lot many members like me may get benifitted.

Is its possible to use a existing integrated amplifier as a subwoofer amplifier by using a active or pasive low pass filter before amplifier line in?
Like connect dvd L/R out to low pass filter and connect low pass out to amplifier line in. Next amplifier power out L+ and R+ short it and L- and R- short it so I will have one pair to the sub is its possible?? Will it dammage the amp? Llogically I think it works but technically not sure. If it works then there are many members like me have an Integrated amplifier lying idle after upgrading to a better amp. So this old amp can be used as a sub woofer amp. Now I expect our Audio gurus to put some light.

thanx
changappa.

HI,EVERYBODY.
Straight question may be lot many members like me may get benifitted.

Is its possible to use a existing integrated amplifier as a subwoofer amplifier by using a active or pasive low pass filter before amplifier line in?
Like connect dvd L/R out to low pass filter and connect low pass out to amplifier line in. Next amplifier power out L+ and R+ short it and L- and R- short it so I will have one pair to the sub is its possible?? Will it dammage the amp? Llogically I think it works but technically not sure. If it works then there are many members like me have an Integrated amplifier lying idle after upgrading to a better amp. So this old amp can be used as a sub woofer amp. Now I expect our Audio gurus to put some light.

thanx
changappa.

I am using an integrated as a sub amp.. and it's working okay for me. Haven't tried bridging.. but I don't need to since I have twin subwoofer setup. a Y cable works well for me.

in a hT setup it's pretty easy to use an integrated to drive a passive sub, you AVR will do the bass management and filtering as required.

What sub do you have and what type of connectivity does it offer?

Not sure why you need a low pass filter? Depending on the type of sub and the integrated amp connectivity options you can either use a simple Y cable to connect to the sub or connect speaker wires (if your sub has options to connect directly from a power amp). One thing to keep in mind is that the impedence is brought down when connecting via the speaker cables and you need to be able to account for it accordingly.

What sub do you have and what type of connectivity does it offer?

Not sure why you need a low pass filter? Depending on the type of sub and the integrated amp connectivity options you can either use a simple Y cable to connect to the sub or connect speaker wires (if your sub has options to connect directly from a power amp). One thing to keep in mind is that the impedence is brought down when connecting via the speaker cables and you need to be able to account for it accordingly.

hi
As I said I have a integrated amp, output is stereo. the sub I have is Passive no crossover nothing one woofer fixed inside a box thats it. When I connect this to amp, full spectrum is pumped to the woofer so I need a low pass filter in between to allow only 20 to 200 hz. And I have a full setup with Norge 1000 and large bookshelves perfectly matching no issue with that. As this BPL amp was lying idle I thought of using it to drive the sub.

regards

If using for mov,you may not need filter as you can set it in DVDp/BDP OR in PC.

Hi,
as I said this one passive subwoofer is connected directly to integrated amp output. So 20hz to 20 khz is available on this output hence I need a low pass filter to stop anything beyond 125hz. Hope u can guide me on this.

regards

Can you specify your source?
I can read only a DVDp.
For movies,if your DVDp has 5.1ana out,you can directly connect sub out to amp to passive sub.There will be only problem while playing CDs as no sub direct out.

Here you can use a filter which can direct low freq to sub amplified off stereo amp.
Many famous subwoofers uses ClassD OR AB(wharf 150) amp for active sub.

hi
the problem is I cant afford original dvds with 5.1. whatever I get for 30 to 50 rs r just crap no proper chanelisation. Hence use it only for audio playback.

regards

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back