Is Onkyo 3300 good for music?

sumit_4palz

After reading lot of reviews about Onkyo 3300 I found this model good for movies.

I am not sure if this will be good for listening to music. Can any owner of this unit comment on sound quality when listening to audio mp3?

I also wanted to know if it would be any good if I could later add tower speakers to the 3300 reciever with matching power???

Hi,

I bought 3300 a couple of months back. I am now realizing that the speakers that come with this package are good for watching movies, but not so for music/audio CDs. I always wanted a reasonable audio system, not a home theater that much. I didn't think about it much when I bought it.

Now that I have it, I am thinking of replacing the Front speakers with a good book shelf speakers. Right now I my choice is Wharfedale 10.2 or Mordaunt-Short Aviano 2 or PSB Image B6.

I was wondering if any of you have this set-up (Onkyo 3300 + one of the above set of speakers) and how it sounds, before I make up my mind. Which other speakers would you suggest for 3300.

Thanks

I am also thinking of getting Onkyo 3400. Will adding FS or BS later will make any difference to Music ?

Thanks,
Vikram

Yes, adding a floor stander like Polk Audio RTi A5 or similar can make a good difference to music.

You need to select a compatible tower or bookshelf.
Power rating of RTi A5 is 250W

I wonder if anyone has actually tried different speakers with 3300, 3400. If so, please share your inputs now that quite a few members own these Onkyos.

TIA

I don't know if you would get a comparable stereo SQ on the HTIB boxes compared to the dedicated AVR boxes. But still a good fronts are definitely an improvement over the Onkyo speakers. You will probably have to think about a better speaker wire as well. If possible carry your amp box along with you for auditioning some of the above said speakers and find the best one among.

Hi
The 3300 is good for movies but am not happy with music, however if good spkrs are connected to the B output it sounds good. I have a HDD connected thru a media player (Asus) to the 3300 so can play my music drawback the TV has to be on to see what's playing

Yes 3300 is not good for music.
I have connected 2 Pioneer Tweeters to my Front Speakers.It sounds Really really good for both Music and Movies Now.

Onkyo 3300/3400 v/s JBL Cinesystem 140 (JBL SCS 140BK + Harman Kardon AVR 134)

After my months research and comparison between different options available in the budget of INR 30, 000, I shortlisted 3 home theaters to take a decisions.

1) JBL Cinesystem 140
2) Onkyo 3300/3400
3) Sony BDV E880

Some of the pre-requisites for my requirement were the following:
1) Optical and Coaxial Inputs, so that I can plug my LED with optical and Tata Sky HD with Coaxial
2) Price not more than 30k
3) Most important, amazing sound and able to hear good depth even at low volume

1) Let me start my experience with Sony, although I was getting a Blue Ray player, with DLNA, Internet Video and Browsing from the receiver come player with two Standing speakers, 3 normal speakers and a big woofer, everything for INR 29, 500 . At first it seemed to be the best option available but very soon after checking out other options it felt more of a noise than music.

2) Between Onkyo and JBL I was confused the most. From Onkyo I was getting everything. It supports Full HD, 3d Ready, all required inputs and a decent audio for just INR 24, 000. Yes, ofcourse it does not include any dvd player.

The only thing which was missing was the depth in low volume and the required thrill from woofer at high volume.

3) JBL was my last resort, it gave me an amazing experience with an active Subwoofer. Music and dolby effect are awesome. The only drawback it had was no Full HD support and which is compared and discussed everywhere.

I tried a workaround of using an extra optical cable and Coaxial attached to my blu ray player and LED TV, now I get video output through HDMI and get the audio from Coaxial of DVD Player. So, this solves the purpose with an additional wire worth INR 600.

Now, I am a satisfied user of JBL.

The conclusion of my research is, for best audio experience JBL is recommended. For users who would prefer to keep it simple and not want to get in the complexity of wiring, I would suggest Onkyo but then they would also have to compromise 20% more on Audio.

For people who does not mind getting deaf and can hardly distinguish between beats and tone, they can get everything Sony offers in just INR 29, 500.

Thank you.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back