Jamaluddin : Vinyl Seller Kolkata

Beyond a stage I don't care about the gear and the music + its effect on me is what really matters for me.
I am also trying to limit buying records to lesser available stuff rather than go for LPs whose CDs are decent too.
Some rare punjabi LPs have been offered as much as 7000 Rs per Record and I have politely declined obviously.
Market is really spoilt for LPs. One should put foot down else things will keep deteriorating when we pay just because we can afford.

A new building is coming up where Jamaal had his shop on Lenin Sarani. He now sits in his son Mashuq's shop who also deals in used vinyl records. Mashuq's shop is in Kamalaya Centre on Lenin Sarani. If you want i can forward Mashuq's number.
Regards
Vasu

Hi Vasu....I have just joined this group. I would be grateful if you could send me Mashuq's contact number as I am interested in visiting his/his father's shop in search of some records. Thanks a lot in advance.

Pratik.

Kindly give me Jamal / Mashuq's mobile no.
Jamal and the lot now top ebay prices for LP's.

A main reason is the new converts who are willing to pay absurd prices, How about Rs 300 for an EP? On an average you will get better pricing/condition from places such as discog.

But these guys do have some rare stuff occasionally.

A main reason is the new converts who are willing to pay absurd prices, How about Rs 300 for an EP? On an average you will get better pricing/condition from places such as discog.

+1 to that, I had spoken to Jamal's son and his quoted prices for average titles were absurd, I don't know how many they sell at the prices they quote.

You are spot on for "new converts"... Most of them do not how to check a record before buying & clean before playing.

The quest for vinyls in Kolkata does not end or begin at Jamal's. In fact, other sellers in the region from Wellington to Jyoti cinema quote more realistic prices than Jamal. The key is to form a sort of relationship with the seller. Then you will get the best rates from him. This is a result of my experience in that venture.

I have talked with Mashooq Jamal bhai just a few minutes ago over phone. What I understand that he has got some publicity, probably by HFV or by any other means, and for this he has set the price of his LP collection in such a high altitude. However, he has a amazing stock. I will soon visit his shop.

BDW, there is another shop opposite to Kamlaya Building where Mashooq Bhai's shop is. The name of the shopkeeper is Zakir Bhai . I went to this shop yesterday. His price is cheaper. His Price are like this

78's - Rs. 15-20/-
EP's - Rs. 20-35/-
LP's - Rs. 80-400/- (depending on condition, foreign LP are of above Rs. 100/-)

Zakir Bhai has also a Record Player Repairing Workshop associated. The name of the repairing guy is Musha Bhai. I have also talked to him. He has a great second hand spare parts collection of mid range record players of HMV, PHILIPS etc of 60's - 80's era.

Hello,
Anyone who has a good collection of 45' in Kolkata? I'm looking for some good singles in Jazz

Personal advise for enthusiasts new and old:
1) start collecting records before buying a turntable
2) your's is a unique hobby, not many people even know anything about stereo, leave alone turntable. Enlighten all your friends about your unique hobby, you never know, your friends may get you records that are personally owned
3) first pressing / new old stock / unplayed LP / limited edition pressing - cool to talk about but ignore these, you are not a collector, you are a music listner :)
4) dont encourage market mafias by buying records at high prices
5) there are certain cities and towns were vinyl enthusiasts live (including us, on the forum). Avoid looking up these cities or towns as most of the vinyl would have already disappeared :)
6) remember, even the best record can sound crap - there are many variables or moving parts, as the old saying goes - the length of the pencil does not matter, its the picture you draw with it, that does....
Happy listening!!

Just going through the first page of this thread. Well gone are the days of Rs. 200/300 for a LP in Calcutta. Now those sellers are talking of 1 or 2 k:mad: What those sellers don't understand is how to grade a LP - physical quality wise. Though NM is a much used to describe the LPs -- which is far from truth. IMHO all one can get in Wellington Calcutta now is EX or EX+ grade.

sellers are pricing based on 2 concepts - (1) cost of new records released, available on flipkart/amazon, etc and (2) as newer enthusiasts are willing to pay big numbers for old records in good condition as they are into a lot of online reading about presses, analog masters and also, making comparisons with the cost of a new record.

Regarding condition of old records that are lowly priced, carry along a good magnifying glass and look up the surface, there should not be any physical damage like cracks, deep scratches, etc. Records without physical damage but surface scratches usually sell for less but if you play these with carts tracking at slightly higher VTFs like the M44-7 or ceramic carts, they will play beautifully. I have experienced this for real with "The Burning Train" LP wherein my Rs.30 version of it plays so well that is sounds better than the NOS version which my brother got from NGH :)

These local sellers have learnt newer jargon and terms used to describe records by a consortium at eBay and Discogs. What is called a stone mint?? Have you ever heard such an English text? Usually physical condition is described quite a few notch higher than the reality. However bargaining has become a bit difficult as the asked price is so high that one real listener cannot even quote a price.

Hopefully a recession period will set in soon and that would be a gainer for music listeners.

Jai Pancham,
Sourav

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back