Jamaluddin : Vinyl Seller Kolkata

Two weeks back I was in kolkatta. Bought few LPs including good titles like Manzil Manzil, Ahista Ahista, Zamaane Ko Dikhana Hai, Hum Kisise Kum Naheen. All are NM and paid 500 each.

These local sellers have learnt newer jargon and terms used to describe records by a consortium at eBay and Discogs. What is called a stone mint?? Have you ever heard such an English text? Usually physical condition is described quite a few notch higher than the reality. However bargaining has become a bit difficult as the asked price is so high that one real listener cannot even quote a price.

Hopefully a recession period will set in soon and that would be a gainer for music listeners.

Jai Pancham,
Sourav

Very true...

A local seller was explaining me the diff. between first press and re-releases.

I was all ears :)

Hey folks,
I went to Calcutta back in Feb and bought 7-8 old Bollywood vinyl records from Mashuq and few other non Cal vendors like NGH. I have also bought a couple of new Bollywood vinyl reissues from Symphony. Here is my feedback on these records.
1. The old records are way way overpriced compared to the quality currently available. NM LPs cost Rs 3000.00 to Rs 7000.00 and NM EPs cost around Rs 500.00. The qualifier NM here means that these records are playable compared to others which you might not be able to tolerate for few minutes because of the surface noise...
2. Most of us are only concerned about the health of the record itself and not so much about the quality of the recording. Since the price is so high I feel like doing a research on the quality of the recording before buying any album but unfortunately nothing much available online. For example I bought a NM copy of the RD Burman album Saveri Wali Gaadi which was clean from the surface perspective, not a single surface noise, but the recording is really crap. So be careful on that front
3. The old records out of the sleeve are almost always non playable. They are so dirty that I couldn't even listen to half of any track. I had to spend a lot of time cleaning them on my machine before they are playable. There is also some cost associated with the cleaning unless you are doing it manually. But the good news is that if a record surface is good beside dust/mold/etc then after cleaning the sound is excellent. For example some of the songs in the album Harjaee was spectacular, this old record beats any digital copy of this album by leaps and bounds. But such copies are seldom available in the market
4. Now coming to the Sony Vinyls/reissue records, this time I bought two albums 1942 a Love Story and Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jayenge. Both sounded very bright and harsh just like their digital version. I was informed that Sony DADC master these albums using the digital files that SaReGaMa gave them. So the quality is likely not going to be what we are expecting out of these Vinyl reissues.

Please let me know if you have different experiences with Bollywood LP albums old or new.
Thanks.

@Selvin- How do you find the LP records that you recently bought from Cal? May I know the name of the seller, if you can share it?
Thanks.

Since I initiated the thread a few years back, a lot has changed in "vinyl world" of Kolkata. Mashook/Jamal due to their new found popularity have increased their prices to the moon, almost all their good stuff has been sold or hoarded for that glorious day when each can be sold for 50k or theirabouts ;) and they don't waste a single opportunity to fleece an unsuspecting/ outstation customer, even we locals find the prices impossible..... Few other are there in the vicinity with much more realistic pricing.

Two weeks back I was in kolkatta. Bought few LPs including good titles like Manzil Manzil, Ahista Ahista, Zamaane Ko Dikhana Hai, Hum Kisise Kum Naheen. All are NM and paid 500 each.
Hi selvin, could you tell us all please from where you bought the LP's. Would be of so much benefit to all including me. Thanks!

Rs. 500/- is quite reasonable but whether NM status holds for the entire LP. I have bought a few used LP from NGH priced at 750/- each. 80% to 85% Mint.

I may say the vinyls are about 95% and covers are about 80%.
You must be extremely lucky or an excellent bargainer. It is extremely difficult to find those titles at your price. 95% mint is almost non-existent for good titles. Or should I say, extinct.

What is called a stone mint?? Have you ever heard such an English text?
Stone Mint means prices that leave you Stone Cold. :)

Was strolling down the bazaar streets,
Looking for some good vinyl treats.

The hot May sun was bearing down,
But I dont get vinyls in my small town.

Saw few shops having vinyl heaps,
in one outlet Vinylbhai was half asleep.

woke him up and asked for Recaards,
Pointed me to heaps with least regard.

Picked some discs from bollywood flicks,
most were having few nicks and clicks.

with trembling voice asked how much ?
the answer was paanchso rupaya each.

Sweating profusely I asked how come ?
He said this is low price either buy or run.

With recaard in my hand I was stone cold.
he snatched it from me thinking it was gold.

I dragged my feet out of the narrow lanes,
This is not what it used to be. so I refrain.

Regards :)

You must be extremely lucky or an excellent bargainer.

I am not a hard bargainer. Usually those people ask Rs.1000 or 1200 for each record in case of buying one. I used to buy in a size of 10 or 15 LPs together and settle an average price of 400 - 500.

Dear Hiten, in turn for this germane verse, you should be rewarded with a noble prize of Bollywood vinyl, Bhoot Bungla or Chandan Ka Palna LP. :p

Regards,
Sourav

Stone Mint means prices that leave you Stone Cold. :)

Was strolling down the bazaar streets,
Looking for some good vinyl treats.

The hot May sun was bearing down,
But I dont get vinyls in my small town.

Saw few shops having vinyl heaps,
in one outlet Vinylbhai was half asleep.

woke him up and asked for Recaards,
Pointed me to heaps with least regard.

Picked some discs from bollywood flicks,
most were having few nicks and clicks.

with trembling voice asked how much ?
the answer was paanchso rupaya each.

Sweating profusely I asked how come ?
He said this is low price either buy or run.

With recaard in my hand I was stone cold.
he snatched it from me thinking it was gold.

I dragged my feet out of the narrow lanes,
This is not what it used to be. so I refrain.

Regards :)

Dear Hiten, in turn for this germane verse, you should be rewarded with a noble prize of Bollywood vinyl, Bhoot Bungla or Chandan Ka Palna LP. :p

Regards,
Sourav
ha ha. Thanks. :)

My collection is almost complete. I am Kanjoos, but I can splurge if I want something dearly. As I want my small collection to be 'chakachak'.
https://www.hifivision.com/threads/teesri-manzil-and-anand-ashram-album-cover-jacket.69045/

If I get Bhoot Bangla, I will sell it and buy Listen Without Prejudice or Saudagar('73) or Buddha Mil Gaya (not because it is rare). Hope recording is good on those. I have no aversion to Audio CDs.

I buy only if music is to my liking. Then Record/Cover must be mint/excellent. However I do appreciate those who are collectors. A friend here has more than 5000 records. On the other end there are few senior citizens here who are only interested in Music. They gather everymonth and listen to old rare songs on PC or whatever is available. Few years back they arranged a programme where Children of Ghulam Mohd., Sajjad Hussain and Instrumentalist Ibrahim were felicitated and memories shared of old times. There was another resident gentleman Mr. Gokhale who used to play synthesizer for Manna Dey's work . Somehow I missed those events.

Regards

ha ha. Thanks. :)

My collection is almost complete. I am Kanjoos, but I can splurge if I want something dearly. As I want my small collection to be 'chakachak'.
https://www.hifivision.com/threads/teesri-manzil-and-anand-ashram-album-cover-jacket.69045/

If I get Bhoot Bangla, I will sell it and buy Listen Without Prejudice or Saudagar('73) or Buddha Mil Gaya (not because it is rare). Hope recording is good on those. I have no aversion to Audio CDs.

I buy only if music is to my liking. Then Record/Cover must be mint/excellent. However I do appreciate those who are collectors. A friend here has more than 5000 records. On the other end there are few senior citizens here who are only interested in Music. They gather everymonth and listen to old rare songs on PC or whatever is available. Few years back they arranged a programme where Children of Ghulam Mohd., Sajjad Hussain and Instrumentalist Ibrahim were felicitated and memories shared of old times. There was another resident gentleman Mr. Gokhale who used to play synthesizer for Manna Dey's work . Somehow I missed those events.

Regards
Dr Suresh Chandwaker and his team do conduct similar sessions on old 78, vinyls, music and artists

Yes I have heard about him. I only have few 78s. Some Classicals and some Marathi.
Regards

I have been in Kolkata during 2010 to 2014. At that time I made a research on vinyl sellers of Lenin Sarani. I had purchased records from Mashuk, Jamalluddin & others.I do not know whether you know about Ilyas bhai. He has a small record shop in front of Kamalaya Centre, where Jakir looks after the shop.He has a vast collection of records at his house. At that time also when I was in Kolkata records in excellent condition & fresh ones were priced between Rs.500 to 1000. Now I use to purchase from him over phone.He knows my choice & quality & accordingly informs me whenever he purchases a new lot.Yes of course price is not the same. It varies from 800 to 3000 (for almost new records).It is almost eight years, I am purchasing records from him(hindi, bengali & western). Payment & delivery is no problem.Ilyas bhai is well known person in Kolkata not only for selling records & tts but also for social works.

I have been in Kolkata during 2010 to 2014. At that time I made a research on vinyl sellers of Lenin Sarani. I had purchased records from Mashuk, Jamalluddin & others.I do not know whether you know about Ilyas bhai. He has a small record shop in front of Kamalaya Centre, where Jakir looks after the shop.He has a vast collection of records at his house. At that time also when I was in Kolkata records in excellent condition & fresh ones were priced between Rs.500 to 1000. Now I use to purchase from him over phone.He knows my choice & quality & accordingly informs me whenever he purchases a new lot.Yes of course price is not the same. It varies from 800 to 3000 (for almost new records).It is almost eight years, I am purchasing records from him(hindi, bengali & western). Payment & delivery is no problem.Ilyas bhai is well known person in Kolkata not only for selling records & tts but also for social works.
are you talking about him?
27798053_156971125024473_796076643743301271_o.jpg

Hi! Having bought from personal contacts and all over India and abroad , I can safely say he gives the best deal in India. I went and got two vinyl - both USA pressing in mint condion and paid 1800. Beach boys and marvine gaye. It was however my first time with him ( dad used to go for years )

Back