jamo C605/ C607

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cinebels had it paired with a Marantz PM7001 and a CD6002. Neither of that is bad equipment at the entry level but it just didn't have any emotional attachment whatsoever.

At 1.5 odd lacs for the C809, there are way better options out there - in terms of sound, in terms of looks and in terms of snob value. If it was priced around a lac or so, it would make some sense. In the US, the C809 sells for under 1500 USD per pair.

ROC, reading this again, I think I see where the problem could be. The Marantz amp and CD player, decent though they are, do not fit in with a system containing a pair of speakers costing upwards of a lakh rupees. Maybe if you audition them with better equipment you might get a different opinion?

I'm not sure if the jamo showrooms here have any other equipment so its kind of hard or maybe even impossible to listen to them with better equipment.

The electras cost 2 odd lacs, starting from the bookshelf. The floorstanders are much more. They are very very nice speakers but woefully overpriced in India.

ROC, reading this again, I think I see where the problem could be. The Marantz amp and CD player, decent though they are, do not fit in with a system containing a pair of speakers costing upwards of a lakh rupees. Maybe if you audition them with better equipment you might get a different opinion?

PM7001 marantz amp to drive the C809 is absolutely a mismatch ,on extended usage at high levels it will blow this amp ,even the higher end 15si and 11si marantz amp cannot drive the c809 well enough ( i have tried them with these and both sounded crap) to drive these C809 u need a minimum of 200+rms /channel , am driving it with a CARVER TFM 35x pre/power (250@8 ohms) and these rock the hell out of the c 809s!!!

I had a Jamo E855 once upon a time. This was sold to someone in through this forum. My personal experience is that the new C6xx don't come remotely close to the musicality of the older E7/E8/D5 series speakers. There have been compromises to the cabinet compared to the old speakers. The newer ones are significantly thinner.

With all due respect, you are mistaken.

The The Jamo C607 and Jam E875 have the same exact cabinets, but different drivers. The width, depth and height are exactly the same. And the interior of the C607 is well done.

I don't know what you heard when you tapped your knuckles on their cabinet, but I just did the same thing with mine and they sound quite solid to me. Mine have a very thick layer of black acoustic foam all along the interior. As do the C603. The cabinets themselves are very solid and sturdy.

I own several Jamo C80 and C60 speakers. The musicality is absolutely wonderful!

I suspect the listening environment where you auditioned the C607 speakers and the Marantz gear that was used, is the reason you found them unmusical.

With the C607, I have the Rega Apollo, the Vincent Audio SA-T1 Pre Amp and the Van Alstine Fet Valve 500 feeding them the signal/music. And it's a very musical and engaging presentation. You are correct that the Jamo's are not the most revealing or detailed speakers on the market; but I personally love that about them. They are nicely detailed. it's not like they lack detail or are fuzzy of murky sounding. Just not overly-detailed or analytical. Which suits my tastes perfectly.

I firmly believe you have to live with speakers for a while before you have a true and realistic idea of what they sound like and what they can do.

I alos believe you have to try some different gear with any speakers, to see what matches with them best. I have done that. I've tried several different combinations of gear and I can tell you from hands-on, living with them, personal experience that these speakers are an incredible design and bargain.

I've compared them head-to-head with speakers that were three...four times the price and the Jamo C607 were better in every aspect.

Furthermore, the C603 bookshelf speakers are fantastic.

The C807, C809 and C803 are a few steps up and are exceptional speakers.

Just sharing my personal, hands-on, living with them experience.

These are outstanding speakers and present an even more fantastic bargain; when consider their price points here in the USA.

Last edited:
PM7001 marantz amp to drive the C809 is absolutely a mismatch ,on extended usage at high levels it will blow this amp ,even the higher end 15si and 11si marantz amp cannot drive the c809 well enough ( i have tried them with these and both sounded crap) to drive these C809 u need a minimum of 200+rms /channel , am driving it with a CARVER TFM 35x pre/power (250@8 ohms) and these rock the hell out of the c 809s!!!

Absolutely!

I've driven my C607, C807 and C809 with the Van Alstine Fet Valve 500 (250 watts pre channel), the Butler TDB 2250 (250 watts per channel at 8 ohms and more at 6 ohms) and a few other amps.

These speakers absolutely sing and rock with the Fet valve 500 and TDB 2250!

Absolutely!

I've driven my C607, C807 and C809 with the Van Alstine Fet Valve 500 (250 watts pre channel), the Butler TDB 2250 (250 watts per channel at 8 ohms and more at 6 ohms) and a few other amps.

These speakers absolutely sing and rock with the Fet valve 500 and TDB 2250!

hi, glad u like the C607s , i own the C809 package and absolutely love the C809s ,i too have tried a lot of pre/power amps with them ,i realised that u feed them more power they sing better n better, right now i drive them with a Vincent SA-331MK tube pre and bryston 8bst on bridged mode (pumping out 400rms*2 @ 8ohms ,and marantz SA11S1 sacd ,they really sound great ,the only thing i found them a little bass heavy (may be my room) but now i have pluged the bottom rear ports with socks and the problem has disappeared and the bass is fantastic--------happy listening , do you have any idea on the vincent power amps (SP331MK or the SP993) how good wud they drive the C809s compared to the bryston 8bst the specs of these amps look very atractive ,but they are not popular here in india ,the pricing also is good.

hi, glad u like the C607s , i own the C809 package and absolutely love the C809s ,i too have tried a lot of pre/power amps with them ,i realised that u feed them more power they sing better n better, right now i drive them with a Vincent SA-331MK tube pre and bryston 8bst on bridged mode (pumping out 400rms*2 @ 8ohms ,and marantz SA11S1 sacd ,they really sound great ,the only thing i found them a little bass heavy (may be my room) but now i have pluged the bottom rear ports with socks and the problem has disappeared and the bass is fantastic--------happy listening , do you have any idea on the vincent power amps (SP331MK or the SP993) how good wud they drive the C809s compared to the bryston 8bst the specs of these amps look very atractive ,but they are not popular here in india ,the pricing also is good.

The C809..........Awesome:clapping::clapping:

I'm not familiar with the Vincent Audio SP331MK and SP993. So I can't comment on them.

But I think your Bryston amp is more than enough. In my opinion, it doesn't make much sense to spend more money on more amps, when you already have an amp delivering that kind of power.

Unless you simply want to have fun trying out different amps, to see if maybe they sound different or you have the extra money to play with.

if you'renot completely happy with your sound, you may do better in trying a better pre amp. No disrespect to your pre amp, I think the Vincent SA-331MK is a wonderful pre amp at it's price point.

It's a great bargain and performes above what one would expect at that price point. But the SA-T1 is much better. And there are a lot of other pre amps out there, by other manufactors that may be a better option. Maybe you can audition a few and discover which one you prefer.

But if you love the sound with your Vincent SA-331MK pre amp, then there's no reason to get another pre amp. As long as you like it, that's all that matters. Another pre amp may change the sound you're currently getting and it may or may not be a change for the better; depending on what you like.

In my experience with my C809, I wouldn't use them in a room that's smaller than 13'x20'. Because the bass does over-power the room. They need more space and room to breathe. But you can adjust your tone controls to trim the bass down or as you did, use a sock in the port..... if you're in a smaller room. They are still lovely sounding speakers in any room, but it requires a little tone control in smaller rooms.

The C807 are much better for rooms smaller than 13'x20'. The bass is very strong, but not over-whelming. Just right!

Just want to say hello to all music lovers in India, from me, here in the USA:yahoo::)

The C809..........Awesome:clapping::clapping:

I'm not familiar with the Vincent Audio SP331MK and SP993. So I can't comment on them.

But I think your Bryston amp is more than enough. In my opinion, it doesn't make much sense to spend more money on more amps, when you already have an amp delivering that kind of power.

Unless you simply want to have fun trying out different amps, to see if maybe they sound different or you have the extra money to play with.

if you'renot completely happy with your sound, you may do better in trying a better pre amp. No disrespect to your pre amp, I think the Vincent SA-331MK is a wonderful pre amp at it's price point.

It's a great bargain and performes above what one would expect at that price point. But the SA-T1 is much better. And there are a lot of other pre amps out there, by other manufactors that may be a better option. Maybe you can audition a few and discover which one you prefer.

But if you love the sound with your Vincent SA-331MK pre amp, then there's no reason to get another pre amp. As long as you like it, that's all that matters. Another pre amp may change the sound you're currently getting and it may or may not be a change for the better; depending on what you like.

In my experience with my C809, I wouldn't use them in a room that's smaller than 13'x20'. Because the bass does over-power the room. They need more space and room to breathe. But you can adjust your tone controls to trim the bass down or as you did, use a sock in the port..... if you're in a smaller room. They are still lovely sounding speakers in any room, but it requires a little tone control in smaller rooms.

The C807 are much better for rooms smaller than 13'x20'. The bass is very strong, but not over-whelming. Just right!

Just want to say hello to all music lovers in India, from me, here in the USA:yahoo::)

hi , am extremly happy with the set up,its just that i wanted to try out different power amps , i recently picked up the vin SA-331MK pre for a real steal(used) the MRP is 70k(ridiculous) i got mine for 20k, -----as u said my room may be a little small for the c809 but have adjusted the sound accordingly, i should give the C607 an audition soon

Last edited:
u r 1 lucky guy to have the c809s... it's very true that with speakers as capable as these u really don't need to listen to any other speakers.. but i believe the jamo c607s are 1 heck of a loudspeaker...out of the box they do sound a bit compressed but as they break in they become more and more musical.... the mids and the treble -always the strengths of jamo need no comparison at all and the bass has a solid kick, are well rounded and extended.. the treble is airy and the mid range superfluid...... u could literally visualise the musicians in front of u..

Hello guys. How's are you doing? I hope you are all well.

avgal, I completely agree.

The C607 are very musical. They truely have a wonderful way with melody, timbre of instruments. It is an earthy....organic musicality.

As of now I have owned the C607 and C603 for well over a year. And I'm constantly amazed how good these speakers sound. Every time I feed them good amplification and sources, they sound better.

I had to chuckle this morning, when I remembered what reignofchaos and soundofmusic said about these speakers. A good hearty laugh.

I intend no disrespect to those two guys. But their descriptions and comments clearly reflect two guys with very little or no experience with these speakers, whatsoever.

The notion that these speakers are not musically involving, is a complete misrespresentation and untruth. In fact, with good, well-matched components these speakers present an incredible depth and texture of musical instruments, timbre and melody. The musicality brings all the emotion and passion in the music. And that is what it's all about.

Another thing I want to clarify, is the power requirements.

Yes it's true these Jamo speakers like good power. But it's not so much about big power (watts) numbers, as it is about high quality power supplies....available current. Quality current. I drove these speakers easily in a mid-sized room, with a 35 watt per channel tube amplifier (a modern rebuild of a modern Dynaco ST70). Both the C607 and C603 sang like song birds with the tube amp. Absoultely beautiful.

Quality power supplies and available current.

I have encountered some strange occurances on several of these type of forums, since the last time I posted here (over the las 6 months).

I have encountered several people on four different music/gear forums who come on and say negative things about these Jamo speakers. They make negative comments about these speakers and submit fabricated, contrived alleged information. But the comments they make and information they submit, are all inaccurate and completey incorrect.

When I engage in conversation with them, ask probing questions and challenge their statments. It always turns out these people either never even heard these Jamo C60 and C80 speakers under any circumstances or they spent a few minutes listening to them; at a dealers store where there were speakers all lined up along a wall, in a terrible room and with inadequate equipment. And actually only one of these people actually heard these speakers at all.

As we all know, you can not judge a speaker by listening under these circumstances. Poor room acoustics in a store with 10-15 other speakers, cheap receivers and cheap DVD players as a sources.

You really can't judge any speaker till you actually have lived with them for a while and experimented with proper placement, room acoustics and provided them with quality amplification and source.

Interestingly, these people who were putting the Jamo speakers down. usually are pushing some other brand of speakers. You can all form your own opinions on that.

And you certainly can not form an educated opinion and judgement on speakers you never have heard at all.

A little tweak or suggestion for those of you who have these C603, C607 speakers (or any other speakers). A very inexpensive tweak.

Try these 1 1/2" diameter grippers....or something similar. You could even use small pieces of wood, if you want to. But I think the rubber works better.

Waxman at Lowe's: 1-1/2" Gripper Pads

I peeled the protective paper off the adhesive side and carefully placed the adhesive side together; to make a thicker pad.

Then I placed one each under the front spikes only of my floorstanders and bookshelf speakers (you can use a penny or dime under the spike and on top of the little gripper pad; to prevent puncture). Again, place them only under the front of your speakers, not the back.

Or if you have those brass spike coasters, depending on the thickness; you want to use just one gripper pad. As opposed to sticking two together.

I found that by lifting the front of my Jamo speakers just a 1/4 inch or up to 3/8 of an inch........the soundstage became even bigger than it already was. Wider and more enveloping.

The bass response also seemed more powerful.

But, do not lift the front up to a 1/2" or more.........it compressed the bass down and made it seem like the bass was be squeezed down; while expanding the midrange even larger. Didn't like that. Sounded unbalanced.

Different speakers, diffferent rooms ...may offer different results. But you'll immediately notice some differences.

Last edited:
Reactions: cpp
NMyTree you are entitled to your opinion and so do I. Personally I have had the C605 and C803 on demo for over a week in the same room where I had the E855 which was my previous set of speakers. The entire chain of electronics was exactly the same - a Citypulse DA7.2x dac, Lyrita Audio Tube pre and a McCormack DNA125 power. To my ears, the E855 sounded far more musically involving, natural and detailed. The C605 sounded muddy in comparison. The C803 was better but not that much better than the E855. Finally I ended up with my current speaker which was leagues better than the C803 and ended up selling the E855 right here on this forum.

I have no bias against Jamos. Some of their older speakers were extremely good - especially the D870. I still have a pair of E700 bookshelves in my bedroom and I like them quite a bit. I'd suggest you try and listen to their older range before forming opinions. I'm pretty much certain you'll not feel the same as what you feel now. I'm also curious as to what your basis for comparison is to the C605? What else have you tried before giving your opinion?

Last edited:
NMyTree you are entitled to your opinion and so do I. Personally I have had the C605 and C803 on demo for over a week in the same room where I had the E855 which was my previous set of speakers. The entire chain of electronics was exactly the same - a Citypulse DA7.2x dac, Lyrita Audio Tube pre and a McCormack DNA125 power. To my ears, the E855 sounded far more musically involving, natural and detailed. The C605 sounded muddy in comparison. The C803 was better but not that much better than the E855. Finally I ended up with my current speaker which was leagues better than the C803 and ended up selling the E855 right here on this forum.

I have no bias against Jamos. Some of their older speakers were extremely good - especially the D870. I still have a pair of E700 bookshelves in my bedroom and I like them quite a bit. I'd suggest you try and listen to their older range before forming opinions. I'm pretty much certain you'll not feel the same as what you feel now. I'm also curious as to what your basis for comparison is to the C605? What else have you tried before giving your opinion?

As I stated earlier in this thread, I currently own and have the Jamo C603, C607, C803, C807, C809 in four different systems in my home. (Master bedroom, Office, Living Room 2 channel/HT system and Family Room).

I have never heard any of these speakers sound muddy. In fact, muddy would never be the adjective I would use to describe any of these speakers.

I have heard and spent significant time with the E870, E855 and D870.

The D870 is an unfair comparison to any of the C60 Series speakers, because the D870 was a much more expensive speaker pair.

Nothing in the C60 Series is anywhere near the cost, to what the D870 cost. The D870 was a special speaker and utilized some very well-known, high quality drivers. As well as a very expensive and thick cabinet.

But the Jamo C807 and C809 absolutely do compete with the D870; at a slightly lower cost. Listen, like I said....the D870 was a special speaker. But let's not exaggerate the D870. The C807 and C809 are right there with the D870.

And anyone who has lived with the C807 or C809 and had significant experience withe the D870; knows there's really not much of a difference in terms of sound quality. The real difference is the D870 has a slightly different voicing.

Now, you're comparing the C605 with the E855 (both floorstanding speakers). Which I guess is a close comparison. The C605 is the weak link of the C60 Series and it's still a good sounding speaker for the money.

The C607 is much better at depth of detail and delivering a much more three demensional texture and timbre to the instruments, than the E855. And the C607 is so much more musically sweeter. Sorry, I've heard both. Maybe it's the components that you have in the chain, that don't go well with the C605. But you've never heard the C607. So you can't comment on the C607.

The C803 is a bookshelf speaker and the E855 is a floorstander. Yet you admit that the C803 is a little better than the E855. That was what you said.

So if you admit the C803 (a bookshelf speaker) is a little better than the E855 (a floorstander): how could the C803 be murky, unnatural, undetailed and musically uninvolving, if it's better than the natural sounding, detailed and musically involving E855 (which is how you described the E855)? And the E855 is a floorstander speaker, while C803 is a bookshelf speaker. Hello, you are contradicting yourself.

Furthermore, does it not stand to reason that the C807 and C809 are in fact much, much better than the E855?

Again, after more than a year of living with the C607 and C603; I would never describe them as muddy sounding. Muddy applies to speakers like the Wharfedale Diamon 8 Series. Now, those are a little muddy sounding.

My problem here is this.............

I kinda agree with soundofmusic here... the newer jamos are mostly mass market speakers. Not that great.

The older D series and the higher end of the E series (E7//E8) were nice musical speakers though not the last word in detail. The current ones are pretty crappy in just about everything. I have an older E855 but I'd not buy any of the newer ones.

You ( and this guy "soundofmusic" ) made some very general, all encompassing negative comments about all of Jamo's current speakers and speaker series.

Yet, you really have only had experience with the C605 (allegedly). And you claim you have experience with the C803, but you contradict yourself in your descriptions and comparisons. So your comments regarding the C803 are suspect and suspicious.

And even if you truely had experience with the C605 and C803. How could you possibly make such a generalized criticism of all of Jamo's speakers, if your intentions are to be fair and honest; when you have only heard two of their current models?

I'd like to see what your response will be to my questions.

soundofmusic didn't even take the time to offer any evidence to support his comments. But he did immediately suggest monitor audio , mission , Dali , Energy speakers. A nd claimed they are easier to power, than all of Jamo speakers. Which of course, is not even remotely true. Not even close.

As for what I have compared to all the Jamo speakers I have. here's a few......

Vienna Acoustic Mozart Grand

Vienna Acoustics Baby Bethoveen Grand

Polk Audio RTi A9

Polk Audio RTi A7

Polk Audio RTi A5

Wharfedale Evolution 30

Wharfedale Evolution 40

Wharfedale Opus 2

Castle Acoustics Warwick 3 (the original and real Castle Acoustics Warwick 3, not the IAG reincarnation products)

Paradigm Monitor 9v4

Paradigm Studio 100 v4

Just to name a few. There's actually more.

Last edited:
I have the C809s they simply rock to all kinds of music ,this is definetly not for older guys who want a laid back kinda sound, C809s means pure excitement----A 50/100watt amp will struggle to drive these ,power it up with a good 150+ power amp /pre and watch it rock:lol:

I have the C809s they simply rock to all kinds of music ,this is definetly not for older guys who want a laid back kinda sound, C809s means pure excitement----A 50/100watt amp will struggle to drive these ,power it up with a good 150+ power amp /pre and watch it rock:lol:

They do rock:)

But that's the thing about the C809 (and all these Jamo speakers I'm talking about). They do all kinds of music well.

It doesn't matter what I listen to, they do it well. Rock, Hard Rock, Folk, acoustic instrumental, Disco, Dance music, Country, Jazz, Bluesy Jazz, Blues, Classical (small ensembles or large orchestras), New Age, Electronica, Ambiant...what ever music. They rock when the music rocks and they are delicate when the music is delicate. It all sounds very musical and involving. And the C809 have an incredible depth of instrumentation and timbre...and so smooth. And pianos and cellos are so amazing.

Simply Beautiful.

The C809 are bass happy, though. :lol: If you try to play them in a small to medium sized room, you need something to absorb the bass (a few couches, throw pillows, wool tapestries, thick carpeting on the floor, or room treatments. Or else the bass could be very big and strong.

Room acoustics, room size and the components feeding the speakers are very important. They are significant.

Subhash, I used the Dynaco rebuild ST70 tube amp (35 watts per channel) with the C809 and it sound very, very nice. I didn't push it too hard, though. I only had the volume at a comfortable but very clear and listenable level. Didn't crank the volume too high. The tube amp had no problems with the C809 at those levels. So the C809 can't be that hard to drive. Quality power/current. That's all it takes.

NMyTree you are entitled to your opinion and so do I.

To clarify, I'm not suggesting you don't have a right to your opinion.

No where have I implied such a thing. I am questioning the basis of your opinion and the validity of your comments. Has nothing to do with your right to an opinion.

Hi Subash I like your statement "not for older guys who want a laid back kinda sound..." ::eek:hyeah:

BTW your speakers are awesome and rocking, all my cds we played last time were more involving and musical to my ears.

regds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back