Just bought Yamaha YHT-299

hello Aman, believe me it is really a good one, you will surely enjoy it. But did you use any system earlier , if you can tell me then I can comment even better.

No sir i have not used any big system.. Although few years back my neighbor used to have a very good system.. Couple of towers . they were mind blowing... They were named woodstock.. Is woodstock any brand?
Now that i want something good i am confused.. Like i want surround, besides i also want very good music system like towers i used to heard of neighbor's

I have not used any good system.. Few years back my neighbor used to have a very good system.. It was a pair of tower speakers.. Brand was woodstock..is there any brand named woodstock?. Believe me that was mind blowing...i want surround system but also good system for music... I am confused..

Re: Standby Pass-Through on YHT-299?

Guys!

How do you manage when you have to watch news channels, when connected to YHT-299. Apparently, 299 doesn't have standby pass-through.

Are there any workarounds? Please advise.

Need some help.

Connected this htib with hdmi inputs from Asus media player, PS3, Chrome cast etc. I am getting DD and DTS on media player but on PS3 its always PCM, tried all connection settings at both ends.

The ps3 is jai lbroken, hope the dumped games do play these DTS and DD.

Hey,
New to this forum, I am looking at YHT-299 for my 50 inch 4K TV, but liked the Pioneer AV receiver's features (VSX-329) and have read good reviews about it. Would you suggest going with Yamaha or Pioneer + speakers keeping overall cost about same?

Thanks

@Amar, when I play -30 DB my Mom wanted to reduce the volume and it has +40 DB. Now you can decide. Usually tower speakers have very high output that satellite.

Re: Standby Pass-Through on YHT-299?

@Kudla, in my case I directly connected DTH to my TV and Digital Sound ( Optical) to Amp.,

Firstly I would like to thank Hifivision and this thread which helped me to decide which HT to buy. Finally I have bought Yamaha YHT 299. But I am facing one problem, I have connected the receiver to my sony tv model no. KLV-40R482B with HDMI cable. The HDMI cable is connected to HDMI out on receiver to HDMI 2 (ARC) on tv. But the problem is I am not getting the sound on receiver. I have done setting as per manuals of both sony and yamaha. On sony tv the Digital audio out is on Auto and On Yamaha I have turned the ARC on in the configuration. Please any one can help me so that i can get sound from TV to Receiver. I do not have any cd/bd player. I play movies though the sony tv USB.

Just bought Yamaha YHT-299 using it with sony TV (KLV-40R482B). TV and receiver are connected with HDMI cable from receiver HDMI out to TV's HDMI 2 ARC. Both TV and receiver are ARC compatible. I am able to get the sound from TV to receiver. I have turned the Digital audio out to Auto in TV and ARC is on in the receiver's HDMI configuration. Please help me to get the sound from my TV to Receiver.

Just bought Yamaha YHT-299 using it with sony TV (KLV-40R482B). TV and receiver are connected with HDMI cable from receiver HDMI out to TV's HDMI 2 ARC. Both TV and receiver are ARC compatible. I am able to get the sound from TV to receiver. I have turned the Digital audio out to Auto in TV and ARC is on in the receiver's HDMI configuration. Please help me to get the sound from my TV to Receiver.
@ Yamaha299, sorry I dint understand what exactly you are trying to do. Leave about what you have done , just tell us what you want to have or would like to see.

Hi Guys ,

This is my First post in this forum, I had been reading this forum for over a week as i m planning to buy a HT, of all the reviews i read i came to a conclusion of buying YHT-299, my room size is 10 * 15, i have taken Demo of YHT-299 in RD and was quite impressed by its sound, i have a query regarding Video playback from AVR, as we cant play movies directly from USB drive of the AVR, is it mandatory to buy a Media Player to get 5.1 effect from the HT or can we play movies by connecting pen drive to TV and play from it & still gets 5.1 effects from HT.

Pls help me Guys

Could you please let me know, which RD in B'lore and also the price?

Usually, the height would be 6 feet from the floor for the surround/satellite speakers.

@Kudla, I got it for 32,400, RD at Marathahalli, below ABS Restaurant.

Regarding the surround speakers, I'm still trying out various heights and adjustments, will try your suggestion as well, thanks. Lets see how goes.

The rear speakers should be around 2 ft on top from the ear level. The angle should be in 90-110. The Center speaker should be straight inline and should be at ear level. Fronts apart from each other around 6-10 ft and angled towards the listening position.

Thanks for the suggestions, will try these out. The surrounds and fronts are manageable but having the center at ear level is going to be a bit of problem for me since I have a low TV stand, even if placed on the highest rack in the stand it wouldn't be at ear level.

Firstly I would like to thank Hifivision and this thread which helped me to decide which HT to buy. Finally I have bought Yamaha YHT 299. But I am facing one problem, I have connected the receiver to my sony tv model no. KLV-40R482B with HDMI cable. The HDMI cable is connected to HDMI out on receiver to HDMI 2 (ARC) on tv. But the problem is I am not getting the sound on receiver. I have done setting as per manuals of both sony and yamaha. On sony tv the Digital audio out is on Auto and On Yamaha I have turned the ARC on in the configuration. Please any one can help me so that i can get sound from TV to Receiver. I do not have any cd/bd player. I play movies though the sony tv USB.

I too play my videos on my tv and it's a sony too. Now as you already mentioned that youve done the settings on tv and avr for ARC, I suspect if your HDMI cable does support ARC. Usually it's HDMI V1.5 cable or above that supports ARC. But some cheap cables marked as V1.5 do not support ARC. I had bought one from flipkart for 400 which did not support ARC in real life even though it was V1.5. Then I replaced it with bluerigger HDMI V1.5, just 100 bucks expensive and viola, it played thru ARC. So, I'd recommend checking with a good HDMI V1.5 cable.

connect your dish connection to tv via HDMI and also take the audio directly on AVR via a Optical cable. Even i was facing the same problem but now its fine.

Last edited:
I too play my videos on my tv and it's a sony too. Now as you already mentioned that youve done the settings on tv and avr for ARC, I suspect if your HDMI cable does support ARC. Usually it's HDMI V1.5 cable or above that supports ARC. But some cheap cables marked as V1.5 do not support ARC. I had bought one from flipkart for 400 which did not support ARC in real life even though it was V1.5. Then I replaced it with bluerigger HDMI V1.5, just 100 bucks expensive and viola, it played thru ARC. So, I'd recommend checking with a good HDMI V1.5 cable.

Thank you Hemant I will buy another HDMI try again.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back