Keith Jarrett Confronts a Future Without the Piano

Nikhil

Staff member
25jarrett-1-superJumbo.jpg

Really sad to read that Keith Jarrett will not be able to play in public again.
Apparently he suffered two strokes in 2018 that affected his ability to play the piano.

Sad to know this as I listen to his albums almost every second day. It means no future release of albums.

Perhaps ECM may release some of the previously recorded stuff.

So sad to hear this ! the Koln Concert is part of my reference for emotional connect in music .Really looking forward to Budapest Concert

Very sorry to hear this, I hugely enjoy Jarret's piano playing. However one thing off-putting for me in his performances are his highly distracting vocalizations, and something I have noticed is that the higher the resolution of your system the higher the intelligibility of this. In my current main system I am unable to sit through many of his albums because of this - unfortunately.
Cheers,
Sid

Very sorry to hear this, I hugely enjoy Jarret's piano playing. However one thing off-putting for me in his performances are his highly distracting vocalizations, and something I have noticed is that the higher the resolution of your system the higher the intelligibility of this. In my current main system I am unable to sit through many of his albums because of this - unfortunately.
Cheers,
Sid
you know @sidvee , funnily thats what I love about his playing ..this is so apparent in the Koln concert and just enhances the experience for me !

Today I listened to Budapest Concert.

I am impressed by this latest release, especially Part 9-14, though Koln Concert and Hamburg 72 still remain my favorites.

However one thing off-putting for me in his performances are his highly distracting vocalizations
An Indian musician who had the same propensity was Ustad Vilayat Khan who was, not surprisingly, credited with introducing the gayaki ang in Sitar.

Keith elevated solo piano to haloed levels, at least in Jazz. Sad to learn he cannot play it any more.

Cheers,
Sid
That’s precisely why I love him, as compared to , say , Bill Evans.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back