Kuartlotron Error Correcting Super Buffer

jls001

Here's a very interesting buffer worth building.

Circuit diagram from the webpage of the designer keantoken:

fidelityforce.com/keantoken/content/Kuartlotron.php

Here's the diyaudio build thread:

The Kuartlotron - keantoken's simple error-correction superbuffer - diyAudio

Photo of my point to point wired build:

JIqldjL.jpg

Parts are easily and cheaply available from regular electronics parts stores. The heart of the buffer are BC 550C and BC 560C transistors. The rest are all passive parts. I used 1% metal film resistors, Bourns trimmers, Keltron electrolytic capacitors. The only part that may be a bit hard to source is the 2 uH inductor. But it is easy to wind such a small value. You just need 20 AWG transformer/magnet wire, wound about 15 times around an AA sized battery.

I used a general purpose board to assemble both the left and right channels on a 4' x 6' board. There is enough room to spare on the board. I'm doing a point to point wiring for the first time. I made so many mistakes while wiring it up, I lost count:) Luckily for me, baswamin had successfully built this buffer and patiently hand held me in troubleshooting my mistakes. He skilfully simmed to figure out what could be causing my observations, and guided me to solutions. Thank you, baswamin :thumbsup:

Currently it is powered through the OPS supply of my DCB1. Like the DCB1, this circuit happens to be using +/-10 Volts. I haven't made a cabinet for it yet. Nor a proper source selection mechanism. Potentiometer is a 10k log, CITEC UK make.

Once I could get it to sing, sing it does. There is no doubt it is a very fine buffer. From the first notes, it has already equalled or surpassed the DCB1. It clearly betters DCB1 in airiness and has a delicateness of presentation when called for. It is very refined. I have used common garden variety parts. No exotics anywhere. I wonder what audio grade parts could do to voice the sound.

It was a difficult build for me due to my inexperience using general purpose boards, but it would be a breeze for the more experienced builder. Go try this at home. You won't regret it.

Some parts used substitutes. For those inclined:

1) 2.7M trimmer was replaced with a 2.2M fixed resistor in series with a 1M trimmer.
2) 3.6k trimmer was substituted with a 5k trimmer.
3) 56R trimmer was substituted with a 50R trimmer. I'm guessing even 100R trimmer will do the job.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Would like to see a picture of the bottom of the board :D

Last edited:
Great Joshua, now is Sachin/Om listening for another group buy ;)

Looks like could be the same cost as DCB1 :)

Seems great buffer. And too Joshua, nice build. Do you think PCB and matched transistors with 1% Dale resistance will make vast difference?
Do you use ferrite core for 2uh coil?

Seems great buffer. And too Joshua, nice build. Do you think PCB and matched transistors with 1% Dale resistance will make vast difference?
Do you use ferrite core for 2uh coil?

Om, I'm not sure if it is ferrite cored. See L1 marked on the foreground of the pic:

YrgYp7l.jpg

I have seen other builders using air cored, coiled inductors.

A PCB with proper ground plane would make life much better. If you see the bottom picture I have used the continuous trace on the periphery of the board as ground "plane", which is hardly ideal but easy to patch jumper wire from almost any point on the board. And matched transistors ought to make performance better. I have used transistors picked up randomly from the lot I bought. If I were to do it again, I'd surely use match transistors. I don't know what and how much improvements they'll bring, but surely they can't hurt. And I think Dale resistors make good sound for audio applications.

i dont see any 0.1uf caps

Do check out the circuit in the link on post #1. There is no 0.1 uF cap used anywhere.

Great Joshua,I made DCb1 after your post.Now you are again prompting me.:)

May be you, Darshan, me, and anyone else interested can get together over a weekend for a group build;) Burning Kuartlatron Camp:)

Last edited by a moderator:
jls.... I could be wrong but :

1. I think that inductor is just 2 Micro Henry .... a few turns of wire on an air core are more than adequate for such a small inductance.

2. The Inductor on your PCB seems Huge ... even if its Air Core .

Maybe I am missing something ?

jls.... I could be wrong but :

1. I think that inductor is just 2 Micro Henry .... a few turns of wire on an air core are more than adequate for such a small inductance.

2. The Inductor on your PCB seems Huge ... even if its Air Core .

Maybe I am missing something ?

I asked the shop keeper twice. He confirmed that it is 2 uH. There was another model of same value but without any covering. It was bare and the coils were visible. I didn't take that one because the terminals looked rusty:)

Do check out the circuit in the link on post #1. There is no 0.1 uF cap used anywhere.

Many times those are assumed by default. Those are needed. If you are not sure, check with the designer and then add. Or check some other build pics and see if those are there or not.

I asked the shop keeper twice. He confirmed that it is 2 uH. There was another model of same value but without any covering. It was bare and the coils were visible. I didn't take that one because the terminals looked rusty:)

Its seems to be 1-1.5 Turn on ferrite core. Air core might be 10mm dai 10 turns of 18-20 SWG

Many times those are assumed by default. Those are needed. If you are not sure, check with the designer and then add. Or check some other build pics and see if those are there or not.
Are you referring to input capacitors?

Please suggest exactly where to put it. I will do it. Can you kindly redraw the circuit diagram with your suggested changes and post on here, please.
I think he is suggesting it parallel to your all 470F capacitors. There are 4 in each channel.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back