Kuartlotron Error Correcting Super Buffer

Om, can you please see if you could add a shunt regulator to the PCB? I'm sure that for a buffer/pre it will make a BIG difference. Even a simple one [maybe this or the Salas v1] is fine.

This circuit needs <20mA. I will try but pulled off due to complexity involved for naive builders. Ialready refined the circuit to reduce PCB tracks so much.

Joshua has already done it. I feel it will be comparable with DCB1 but 1/4 of price.

One area where the Kuartlatron is distinctly superior to the DCB1 is in the high frequencies. Otherwise it is comparable to DCB1 in most parameters. Also, if I remember correctly from the diyaudio build thread, it has vanishingly low distortion levels in simulations. Lower noise floor is always welcome, though I must admit my point to point wiring has not been achieve the noise level I had hoped for. I have relooked my entire grounding scheme but I can't find a fault there either. I've even implemented the bridge rectifier ground isolator too, but it doesn't have any positive effect. For now I accept it as it is and consider it normal as noise level is low enough to not interfere with normal listening (audible at full volume from about 6 inches away from speaker drivers).

If it's any consolation, the DCB1 also has the same type of noise. Only it is a bit louder than Kuartlatron's. And I discovered it only now:) while troubleshooting. So you can guess it's not obstructive at all. All the same I would love to get to the bottom of this and rid myself of it. Also, I'm now certain after lots of troubleshooting that the noise comes from the buffers.YMMV, as I think this observation is very system and setup dependent. So don't be in any way disheartened by my observations.

This circuit needs <20mA. I will try but pulled off due to complexity involved for naive builders. Ialready refined the circuit to reduce PCB tracks so much.
OK, it might introduce more problems than benefits - depending on the PS used.

I think that the noise issue is elsewhere. It is not in the buffers. Om ji, do you hear anything from your b1 ?

Many people,Joshua himself heard by both DCB1. Its dead silent. At full volume one can not make out if power amp is on or off.

Then where do you the problem is with joshua's setup, we have been talking I think its the amp or bad vol pot.

Edit:
One more how many people have chipped in for the group buy?

Last edited by a moderator:
Joshua, you short the input to ground and then observe the noise. In both the preamps, Kuartolotron and DCB1. If no input then out must be silent. Otherwise input wires are picking up or input to gain stage picking up noise.

Joshua, you short the input to ground and then observe the noise. In both the preamps, Kuartolotron and DCB1. If no input then out must be silent. Otherwise input wires are picking up or input to gain stage picking up noise.

Thanks Om, I already tried this. When input is shorted, I still hear some noise but it is lower than when input is open or terminated with input from source. I changed one part of wiring from RCA sockets to input tag blocks (on PCB) with shielded cables, grounding shield to cabinet at RCA end by scrapping off the cabinet internal surface paint and using high wattage solder to make proper soldered contact. Tag block end shield is open. But I just realised that from tag block to front panel mounted pot the wiring is still a twisted pair. I think I'll replace that part as well, and change wiring scheme to pot and input section totally.

I will also check DCB1 with inputs shorted. Thanks for the inputs.

Edit:
Too much faffing. I'm not getting chance to listen to music:)

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, it might introduce more problems than benefits - depending on the PS used.

Required PS could be separate project for build sake. I am already working for different PCB. But time is problem. I plan to use this OPS and then move or upgrade for shunt later on.

Required PS could be separate project for build sake. I am already working for different PCB. But time is problem. I plan to use this OPS and then move or upgrade for shunt later on.
There are so many variations of shunt regulators out there - my head hurts!!!

Om ji when you are done making please pass on your a/c details I will take 2 kits.
Our FM 'quad' also contributed to PCB design and it is ready. We were able to reduce the track length to minimum. Top layer is complete ground plain. Size is ~100mmx60mm.
I have forwarded all required Gerber data files and part list with element 14 order codes of parts to Sachin (sachu888). Please contact him. I will pay my share to him once he confirms. I am now just like you, waiting for this to happen. :) I don't think making 10 sets is problem. ;)

There are so many variations of shunt regulators out there - my head hurts!!!
This is the reason I am thinking and rethinking. I want to understand essence of it apart from low impedance. Also don't want to waste extra energy into heatsinks. If you get ideas then please do share. I have been looking into all of your previously shared links.

Last edited:
Thanks Om, I already tried this. When input is shorted, I still hear some noise but it is lower than when input is open or terminated with input from source. I changed one part of wiring from RCA sockets to input tag blocks (on PCB) with shielded cables, grounding shield to cabinet at RCA end by scrapping off the cabinet internal surface paint and using high wattage solder to make proper soldered contact. Tag block end shield is open. But I just realised that from tag block to front panel mounted pot the wiring is still a twisted pair. I think I'll replace that part as well, and change wiring scheme to pot and input section totally.

I will also check DCB1 with inputs shorted. Thanks for the inputs.

Also if your volume pot is metallic body and not touching to chassis then ground it with wire.

Also if your volume pot is metallic body and not touching to chassis then ground it with wire.

Pot body is at ground potential. Simple continuity beep test from pot body to chassis ground confirmed this. Thanks.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back