LCD Confusion

er....adder....i think i will agree with reignofchaos here.....these still images don't look like the TVs were properly calibrated. There's no way in hell there's so much of a difference in the colour reproduction between flat panel displays.....irrespective of whether they are LCD or Plasma, Samsung or Sony etc., Now without proper calibration, the comparison is not a like for like comparison is it?

Motion blur is still visible on LCDs and the difference with plasmas is very tangible. Any casual comparison of an LCD and plasma side by side will testify to this. I don't think these still images are therefore useful for establishing anything material.

well if u look closely in their articles of varies screens comparision test they are properly caliberated.they also have posted contrasts levels after caliberation and before caliberation.
and about color difference yes there are differences between every tv the way its image processing handles etc.
if u look at there lcd monitor comparision u can see that they have caliberated the lcds monitors and u can also see that color varies even though they are properly caliberated.i am sure even chaos will know about the variation in colors sont forget all the image u see in the tv is still processed and sony uses custom backlight its called wide gamot color display in W series.
motion blur also is presnent in plasmas.

Last edited:
well if u look closely in their articles of varies screens comparision test they are properly caliberated.they also have posted contrasts levels after caliberation and before caliberation.
and about color difference yes there are differences between every tv the way its image processing handles etc.
if u look at there lcd monitor comparision u can see that they have caliberated the lcds monitors and u can also see that color varies even though they are properly caliberated.i am sure even chaos will know about the variation in colors sont forget all the image u see in the tv is still processed and sony uses custom backlight its called wide gamot color display in W series.

Hi,

Do all HDTV have inbuilt upscalers?
Secondly what problems lcd get after few years?(plasma burns)

Hi,

Do all HDTV have inbuilt upscalers? Secondly what problems lcd get after few years?(plasma burns)

Most HDTVs do. Their either have their own such as in Sony, or they use an external Chip such as Fardoudja. In any case it is better to check before you buy.

An LCD's minimum life expectancy is about 50,000 hours. That is 17 years if you use the LCD everyday for 8 hours. What could happen after that is that some of the pixels could go dead. But 17 years is a looooooong time.

Cheers

hey adder, i am not talking about what they claim. I am talking about keeping these TVs side by side and calibrating them properly. Have you ever seen this much of a difference between televisions after comparable calibration?? It's next to impossible. Which is why I am unable to bestow these guys with any credibility.

Motion blur on plasmas is several orders of magnitude lesser than that on LCDs. There's really no comparison. It's an inherent defect of the LCD technology and there's only so much that a Sony or anyone else can do about it.

There is no doubt Sony makes excellent LCD TVs, and if you prefer an LCD picture it's a great option, but the level of difference these people appear to be showing with these pictures really smells bogus to me.

hey adder, i am not talking about what they claim. I am talking about keeping these TVs side by side and calibrating them properly. Have you ever seen this much of a difference between televisions after comparable calibration?? It's next to impossible. Which is why I am unable to bestow these guys with any credibility.

Motion blur on plasmas is several orders of magnitude lesser than that on LCDs. There's really no comparison. It's an inherent defect of the LCD technology and there's only so much that a Sony or anyone else can do about it.

There is no doubt Sony makes excellent LCD TVs, and if you prefer an LCD picture it's a great option, but the level of difference these people appear to be showing with these pictures really smells bogus to me.

well u must note that even if u properly caliberate,tv which which have different CCFL or led backlight like wide gamot color display will significantly increases the intensity of the colors .Chi Mei Optoelectronics - High Color Saturation
i in the link which is from CMO a lcd panel makers show how the color varies.
and dont forget all the image u see is still processed by the image processingChi Mei Optoelectronics - Omniview Color.

here is another link from a different manufacturer AU optronic
AUO Online: Technology

and finaly check this link out its about samsungs panel lottery.where the samsung 226BW which comes with either a S spva panel,or A mva or C smva panel.
Face to Face : cameras, printers, ... - DigitalVersus

and about motion blur in plasma check the images out
36_136_101.jpg

the above image is from a samsung plasma this is its best image.

16_169_101.jpg

the above image is from a sony W series lcd which uses wide gamot color backlight and this its best image.

36_136_102.jpg

the above image is from samsung plasma this its worst result.

16_169_102.jpg

the above image is from sony W series lcd and this its worst result.

Last edited:
Most HDTVs do. Their either have their own such as in Sony, or they use an external Chip such as Fardoudja. In any case it is better to check before you buy.

An LCD's minimum life expectancy is about 50,000 hours. That is 17 years if you use the LCD everyday for 8 hours. What could happen after that is that some of the pixels could go dead. But 17 years is a looooooong time.

Cheers

Hi,
other than that any major problem?
i.e. Backlight or efficiency reduces wihin 5 yrs?

Cheers

Hi,

This may be update ,Just now I saw some widescreen LCD from philips.
(India web)

They are app.4 to 5 cm wider than 16:9 tv.

Do Sony,Pan,Sam make such which are available in India?

Hi,
other than that any major problem?
i.e. Backlight or efficiency reduces wihin 5 yrs?

well dont forget that if a manufatures quotes the life of a backlight as 50000hrs then at 25000hrs the brightness of the backlight will be half.even with that if u watch tv for 8 hrs tha backlight brigtness will reduce to half around 9 yrs.
the problem in lcd, plasma or crt and other display is the electronic that goes kaput first,from the varies tvs and monitors that i had its the electronic that fail.

Hi,

This may be update ,Just now I saw some widescreen LCD from philips.
(India web)

They are app.4 to 5 cm wider than 16:9 tv.

Do Sony,Pan,Sam make such which are available in India?

can be more specific do u mean the screen size bezel size?

dude, like i said, i am not really convinced about the level of care which these guys have taken while capturing these still images, and i am not even sure still images are an effective way of comparing the quality of TV panels. The best thing would be to check things out in action. The Sony LCDs are great TVs, but to my eyes they don't compare with even the basic plasmas from samsung and panasonic. At the end of the day....whoever it is who started this thread...i am forgetting now.....go see these things for yourself, and see what makes you happy....and then buy it :)

dude, like i said, i am not really convinced about the level of care which these guys have taken while capturing these still images, and i am not even sure still images are an effective way of comparing the quality of TV panels. The best thing would be to check things out in action. The Sony LCDs are great TVs, but to my eyes they don't compare with even the basic plasmas from samsung and panasonic. At the end of the day....whoever it is who started this thread...i am forgetting now.....go see these things for yourself, and see what makes you happy....and then buy it :)

dont forget those guys who have done those reviews its their profession.i have been following their site from a long time and the way they have improved is remarkable more articles and a huge surge in ADS, shows that people do visit that website a lot ,if u look at even other sites who have reviewed lcds, u can notice variation in colors even if its caliberated.i came to know about that digitalversus in one of foreign forums and what i have noticed,is that from the day the info about that website was put in that forum there have been steady decline in people asking questions about which lcd or which plasma or camera to buy.well about u finding even basic plasma better then sony lcds ,for me its hard to believe ,but its ur opinion i respect that.

:):):):) These forums are always like a class full of mischievous kids. All wanting to say their bit

The larger panels are more expensive to manufacture. In addition, to drive larger panels you need more powerful electronics inside. That is the reason for the cost difference.

1. LCD or Plasma? The difference is very thin. A couple of years ago one could argue that Plasma was better for clarity and for motion. Today LCD panels have come a long way and can compete with Plasma, at least upto 42 inches.

2. Full HD and HD Ready? A full HD has 1920x1080 pixels. A HD Ready has 1920x 768 pixels. Many DVD Players and AVRs today upscale upyo 1080p, and that can be displayed in all its glory only on a Full HD Panel. Again, as I mentioned, a Full HD panel will matter only in 42 inches and above.

3. Samsung or Philips? I have already answered this question. The Samsung is better in terms of features, while the Philips supports Full HD and is 42 inches in size. You can make the decision easily depending upon your requirement.

There are a number of threads on 1080p. Please read them and then make up your mind what you want.

BTW, you say you have seen the TVs. Have you auditioned these systems? If not please take a your own DVD (with fast action) and first audition these systems. You decision will then be much easier. You just buy what your eyes like.

Cheers

Hi,

I know you have discussed so much before still I ask-
given choice,pls. rate these product.

32 in LCD- Sony KLV-32w400,KLV-32v400
Samsung LA 32A650A, LA32A550
Panasonic LXd80 32in (dont know exactly)

I will buy in Diwali (with offer?) I may even go for 37 in.
I need your opinion as you already own lcd.Mine will be 1st.
I need interms of Natural colours,Good fast moving performance,
sharp image.Rest I will check.

You can rate 1,2,3.....and if possible then reasons.

pls. reply.

respect!:)

dont forget those guys who have done those reviews its their profession.i have been following their site from a long time and the way they have improved is remarkable more articles and a huge surge in ADS, shows that people do visit that website a lot ,if u look at even other sites who have reviewed lcds, u can notice variation in colors even if its caliberated.i came to know about that digitalversus in one of foreign forums and what i have noticed,is that from the day the info about that website was put in that forum there have been steady decline in people asking questions about which lcd or which plasma or camera to buy.well about u finding even basic plasma better then sony lcds ,for me its hard to believe ,but its ur opinion i respect that.

Among your choices, I haven't seen the panasonic, but I have seen the others, and I think I'd put it this way

1. Samsung 32A650 / Sony 32W400
2. Samsung 32A550
3. Sony 32V400 (the V is nothing but the S series, with a different look and an additional port of some sort)

The Panasonic is not Full HD, so if you're really keen on Full HD then restrict yourself to 1. and 2. above. But I suspect it will be a superb device, and you really shouldn't bother about Full HD.

Hi,

I know you have discussed so much before still I ask-
given choice,pls. rate these product.

32 in LCD- Sony KLV-32w400,KLV-32v400
Samsung LA 32A650A, LA32A550
Panasonic LXd80 32in (dont know exactly)

I will buy in Diwali (with offer?) I may even go for 37 in.
I need your opinion as you already own lcd.Mine will be 1st.
I need interms of Natural colours,Good fast moving performance,
sharp image.Rest I will check.

You can rate 1,2,3.....and if possible then reasons.

pls. reply.

well in terms of color accuracey,black depths,contrast(except V series) the sony are better even the input lag in sony are better ,but whether u are prepared to pay the premium for this is upto u.
but the samsung A550 is a real value for money.
although the two sonys are advertised as BRAVIA ENGINE 2, the image processing in the sony V series is not on par with samsung 5,6 series, sony W series.the V series gives out a softer less sharp image then the other lcds mentioned above.
there is infact no difference b/w the sony S,V in terms of performance,unlike the last years model.

the panasonic models has extremely good colors and viewing angles.but there contrast are at best 50% of samung and sony,black levels also arent good as the SPVA panels.

in the below images notice the details in the grass ,where sony based on SPVA has the advantage in contrast shadow details,also has the advantage over samsung since sony does have a slight advantage in contrast. .
60_273_108.jpg

the above image from panasonic 32inch lx80 720p tv.

16_194_108.jpg

the above image from the sony W series 32inch.

36_231_108.jpg

the above image from samsung series 5 32inch.

16_327_108.jpg

the above image from the sony S series 32inch

as u can see the sony has the advantage in detail followed by samsung and at last place is the panasonic.

Last edited:
well in terms of color accuracey,black depths,contrast(except V series) the sony are better even the input lag in sony are better ,but whether u are prepared to pay the premium for this is upto u.
but the samsung A550 is a real value for money.
although the two sonys are advertised as BRAVIA ENGINE 2, the image processing in the sony V series is not on par with samsung 5,6 series, sony W series.the V series gives out a softer less sharp image then the other lcds mentioned above.
there is infact no difference b/w the sony S,V in terms of performance,unlike the last years model.

the panasonic models has extremely good colors and viewing angles.but there contrast are at best 50% of samung and sony,black levels also arent good as the SPVA panels.

in the below images notice the details in the grass where sony based on SPVA as the advantage in contrast shadow details.
60_273_108.jpg

the above image from panasonic 32inch 720p tv.

16_194_108.jpg

the above image from the sony W series.

36_231_108.jpg

the above image from samsung series 5.

as u can see the sony has the advantage in detail followed by samsung and at last place is the panasonic.

Hi thanks,

I forgot to ask if all models have inbuilt upscalers?
I may not buy HDMI cable immediately may depend on TV scaler.
i.e.DVD> composite> LCD> upscaling> HD picture

Secondly do all have 100 Hz freq?

Last edited:
Hi thanks,

I forgot to ask if all models have inbuilt upscalers?
I may not buy HDMI cable immediately may depend on TV scaler.
i.e.DVD> composite> LCD> upscaling> HD picture

Secondly do all have 100 Hz freq?

yes all models have inbuilt upscalers,well what i have noticed is that of the affordable dvd players pioneer does a good job and sony ps3 upscale better then mosts tv out there via hdmi.
yes the tvs can upscale the image via composite as well but it wont look good compared to the image upscaled via HDMI.now days some of the upscaling dvd players comes wit a free HDMI cable.

also check this out hitachi upcoming upscaling tech .
Hitachi makes like Toshiba and touts "super resolution technology" - Engadget

Last edited:
For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back