Leaving your Amp ON 'all the time'

Is it advisable to leave your Amp switched on all the time even when not listening to anything!

Good question even I want to know the answer especially when the amp is in standby to allow a passthrough of the set top box since I do not want to listen the sound of the set top box channels through the HT.

Unless you have some very good power conditioning in place, this is a bad idea. If you do not want to hear sound through the AVR, connect the STB to the TV directly.

Cheers

Save Electricity people.
The amp when ON (or on standby), draws idle power constantly. So if it is not absolutely necessary, it is better to switch off the amp when not in use. Doing so you are saving some valuable energy and avoiding unnecessary exposure of your valuable equipments to power surges and lightening!!.

Save Electricity people.
The amp when ON (or on standby), draws idle power constantly. So if it is not absolutely necessary, it is better to switch off the amp when not in use. Doing so you are saving some valuable energy and avoiding unnecessary exposure of your valuable equipments to power surges and lightening!!.

Many of the modern amps (or AVRs) have a standby power consumption of ~0.1 watts. Which translates to 2.4W per day, which is equivalent to the power consumed by a 36W slim tubelight in 4 mins. Hence, power saving is not that big an issue.
The bigger issue is exposure to voltage fluctations/ spikes, given the Indian conditions. So better keep it switched off.
But in theory, keeping the amp in standby generates some heat, which prevents moisture condensation, especially in coastal areas or in monsoons.

Many of the modern amps (or AVRs) have a standby power consumption of ~0.1 watts. Which translates to 2.4W per day, which is equivalent to the power consumed by a 36W slim tubelight in 4 mins. Hence, power saving is not that big an issue.
The bigger issue is exposure to voltage fluctations/ spikes, given the Indian conditions. So better keep it switched off.
But in theory, keeping the amp in standby generates some heat, which prevents moisture condensation, especially in coastal areas or in monsoons.

Even if 500 members of this forum leaves their equipment powered on unnescessarily then total 1200W (500x2.4) of energy will be wasted everyday. Even small individual contribution (however small) makeas a great difference.
Every drop makes a difference!

I keep my subwoofer amps on all the time but my main ones being valve amps are only switched on when I am listening.I suspect that for solid state amps this may not be as much of an issue-though the point about power line protection is important.

Even if 500 members of this forum leaves their equipment powered on unnescessarily then total 1200W (500x2.4) of energy will be wasted everyday. Even small individual contribution (however small) makeas a great difference.

..and this much saving in energy would light up the houses of n number of poor people.
> Listen to music a few minutes less every day and you would more than make up for the "wasted" power.

But my point was that if standby power consumption is so less, then we need not worry about power wastage as being the deciding factor.

Last edited:
Unless you have some very good power conditioning in place, this is a bad idea. If you do not want to hear sound through the AVR, connect the STB to the TV directly.

Cheers

I mean this passthrough is a feature that modern day AVRs are offering, so if this is not good for the receiver itself then this would be a bad thing that the manufacturers are selling. I suppose we have to keep the AVR in standby power mode to allow the passthrough (not that I own one but only plan to purchase at this point) and this will not happen if the power is turned off.

the advantage of leaving an amp on (and the reason why most people do) is that it doesnt have to warm up and give you its best right from the first song. i keep mine switched off in a bid to be green

I mean this passthrough is a feature that modern day AVRs are offering, so if this is not good for the receiver itself then this would be a bad thing that the manufacturers are selling. I suppose we have to keep the AVR in standby power mode to allow the passthrough (not that I own one but only plan to purchase at this point) and this will not happen if the power is turned off.

Atleast my Denon AVR 1611 does not allow pass thru in standby mode.

Leaving the amp 'ON/IDLE' is different from 'STAND-BY'.

For Eg. my NAD stereo amp consumes 0.5W in 'STAND -BY', 40W in 'IDLE' and 350W during 'ON/RUNNIG'.
This translates to 1 unit consumption for every 1000 hours when the amp left on 'STAND-BY', 1 unit consumption for every 25 hours when the amp is left 'IDLE' and 1 unit consumption 2 hr 45 mins of the amp in 'RUNNING/ON'.

Leaving the amp 'ON/IDLE' is different from 'STAND-BY'.

For Eg. my NAD stereo amp consumes 0.5W in 'STAND -BY', 40W in 'IDLE' and 350W during 'ON/RUNNIG'.
This translates to 1 unit consumption for every 1000 hours when the amp left on 'STAND-BY', 1 unit consumption for every 25 hours when the amp is left 'IDLE' and 1 unit consumption 2 hr 45 mins of the amp in 'RUNNING/ON'.

Thanks for the explaination. Do you have any idea if the signal passthrough (for HDMI swiitching only and not the 3D passthrough feature) feature work in standby mode or does it work only in idle / power on mode?

Thanks for the explaination. Do you have any idea if the signal passthrough (for HDMI swiitching only and not the 3D passthrough feature) feature work in standby mode or does it work only in idle / power on mode?

@haisaikat
I'm sorry. I have no idea on this.

Even if 500 members of this forum leaves their equipment powered on unnescessarily then total 1200W (500x2.4) of energy will be wasted...

A watt saved is equal to 3 watts generated, so that's 3600W.

I keep my subwoofer amps on all the time...

You get intelligent power strips with timers or that switch off everything when it senses that equipment is on idle. Not sure if they are available for Indian plugs and 230V supply.

Personally I shut down all my equipment when not in use.

Off Topic: If you really want to save power, turn down the thermostat on your water geyser. Most geysers are 25 litres and normally you fill half a bucket of water (10 litres) and mix cold water. The remaining 15 litres is wasted. Even if you shower and are mixing cold water, then again you're wasting hot water.

A geyser is 2kW, which is the equivalent of switching on 150 CFLs in your home. Set the geyser thermostat so that you don't have to mix in any cold water. Better still, get a solar heater or get a smaller sized geyser.

with the kind of electricity supply we have in india...you're bound to blow your amp....and it is a huge waste of electricity....even on zero sound load....it is better to turn on your amp about 10-15 minutes before your listening session!!

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back