LED OR PLASMA 42 inch

plasmoid

Hi all,
Am planning to shift my samsung 32 lcd to the bedroom for dvds and cable, and pick up a 42 inch screen(cant go bigger due to max 8 feet viewing distance) exclusively for bluray and PS3 gaming.

My first thought was the Pioneer kuro 428xg, which on calling is now out of stock :(

I had been to ezone today and seen the samsung series7 LED (Rs 1,28,000) and LG42sl90 (88,000)

Liked the PQ on the samsung a lot but have read about the dreaded auto dimming feature which can only be shut off in service menu (which I don't consider risking anyways)Another consideration is the high input lag on these tvs for gaming.

Also considering Panasonic plasma but again read about the blacks turning dark grey.I have also read great reviews about the samsung 42B450 plasma.

Now I am thoroughly confused.

Can you please shed some light...especially moser and madbullram's opinions are most welcome.

the new panel thats been shipping in april 2010 for panny the issues seems to be resolved for the black level getting lighter after usage or so.
led is good and takes u closer to plasma than lcd..

see what soothes ur eyes and decide.

+1 for Plasma

Please dont buy an LED TV. The Samsung LED TVs are Edge-Lit...so you will have to compromise on dark and bright scenes. It will always average out the brightness or darkness. Go for Panasonic or whichever brand you prefer...but Plasma only.
Search YouTube for Samsung LED problems...you will find scores of results.
One member has recently bought a Panasonic 42 FHD plasma..why dont ask for his verdict...heres the link: http://www.hifivision.com/television/10339-got-home-panasonic-42v20.html

Your choice should be between 42" LCD or Plasma.

IMO, in general, only next year or year after next with LEDs turning 3+ gen and only if there is local dimming, LED is worth the look. Edge lits are not worth the premium claimed over LCDs.

Off topic: I don't understand the advantages of edge lit LED over normal LCD pertaining to PQ. Can anyone explain?

Last edited:
@blasto
Some Edge led models do have row or column wise dimming like the sony LX series which is edge led,which helps in contrast.

@plasmoid
You can go with normal CCFL lcds like the sony EX500 or the samsung C650.

I think the 1.28lakh for the Series 7 is for 3D and 3D still as a long way to go,may be good for the potential ps3 3d gaming.

About dimming you have them in plasma to called floating blacks in panasonic plasma.

Last edited:
......Off topic: I don't understand the advantages of edge lit LED over normal LCD pertaining to PQ. Can anyone explain?

LEDs produce a slightly better color gamut than normal LCD TV which use CCFLs(Cold Cathode Fluorescent Light source).

Plus it also helps manufacturers claim their TVs to be slimmest/slimmer than others.

Ever heard of an LCD brand that claims to have the best picture quality(than even CRT/Plasma) ?

LEDs produce a slightly better color gamut than normal LCD TV which use CCFLs(Cold Cathode Fluorescent Light source).

Plus it also helps manufacturers claim their TVs to be slimmest/slimmer than others.

I agree about slimness which is obvious.

But how does the LED affect the colour gamut as long as they produce only white light? I understant RGB local dimming LEDs play a role here but does edge lit (white) LEDs affect the colour gamut at all?

I agree about slimness which is obvious.

But how does the LED affect the colour gamut as long as they produce only white light? I understant RGB local dimming LEDs play a role here but does edge lit (white) LEDs affect the colour gamut at all?

LCDs, as you will know, display color by filtering white light. The white produced by CCFL's is not true white. If you were to put a CCFL through a prism, it wouldn't show perfect VIBGYOR. This limits the color gamut.

White LED's produce truer whites and RGB LED's produce even truer whites and thus, wider color gamuts.

Also, I believe the LED's are not prone to "temperature shift" or "colo(u)r shift". CFL are notorious for that..
That is, the definition of "White" by CCFL changes as it ages.

Hi all,
I had been to ezone today and seen the samsung series7 LED (Rs 1,28,000) and LG42sl90 (88,000)

hi plasmoid

Is budget an issue with you or no? IMO LED costs almost twice the cost of plasma. :sad: This is one of the main reasons why LED is still not so popular. This discussion is worth it if this price difference is not a worry for you.

hi plasmoid

Is budget an issue with you or no? IMO LED costs almost twice the cost of plasma. :sad: This is one of the main reasons why LED is still not so popular. This discussion is worth it if this price difference is not a worry for you.

Nope,price is not an issue...was initially planning on a kuro...just want the best 40/42 inch flatscreen (without 3d).Can go up to 1.5 lacs

Nope,price is not an issue...was initially planning on a kuro...just want the best 40/42 inch flatscreen (without 3d).Can go up to 1.5 lacs

Then wait for the upcoming local dimming lcds like the HX900 which have the UV2A panel and advanced image/motion processing,this the replacement for their top of the line XBR8/X450A launched in 08.
Samsung to has local dimming VA based lcds but may not launch their sets in india

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back