LG 42LV3500 vs Sony 42EX410 vs Sony 40EX520

redherring

I have shortlisted 3 40 TVs. They have similar price (55K to 60K) and features. My viewing room will be bright, so Im sticking to LED TVs. Can you please guide me as to which of these will be a better purchase? I'll be watching movies from Blu Ray/ DVD, and content from Tata Sky (plan to upgrade to HD later).

1. LG 42LV3500
2. Sony 42EX410
3. Sony 40EX520

Requirements:

Im looking at picture quality as the primary factor for the purchase. Viewing angle may be important, but I can compromise on that. Other stuff like playback of different file formats, internet connectivity are good to have but not clinching factors.

Help:

Ive seen some conflicting information in this and other forums regarding quality of IPS vs VA panels:
1. IPS panels have superior display as compared to VA panels
2. LG is inferior in picture quality because of IPS panel (Which 42" LED is best among these.)
3. Sony 42EX410 comes with an LG IPS panel it has poor black levels with blue/violet tint (http://www.hifivision.com/television/25280-yet-another-newbie-asking-suggestions-2.html#post356561)
4. X-Reality that is used in EX520 is better than the BE3 that is in EX410
5. The difference between X-Reality and BE3 is not an appreciable one, at least practically (http://www.hifivision.com/television/16958-sonys-x-reality-vs-bravia-3-a.html)

Im, of course, confused because of this, and would like to know if going for an IPS panel is a good idea or not.

My experience:

I visited a couple of showrooms and looked at the 3 TVs side by side. To me, the LG seemed to have better clarity in terms of colors, with Sony 42EX410 having similar quality. The LG had more blue (sky, water, icebergs seemed more bluish), and Sony EX410 more yellowish (foliage and autumn colors more vibrant). But it could just be some bias on the settings (the two TVs had same brightness, contrast, color, hue settings).

The stores I went to were playing only Discovery/Nat Geo channels, and didnt have any movie channels to play from. They also refused to play the DVD I carried citing store policy, so I didnt have a chance to see how well they played movies.

Im not a videophile, so I dont require blacks to be BLACKS. But I dont want the black levels (or lack of it) be a point of distraction.

Given all this, which TV would you suggest?

Thanks for the time you took reading this post, and thanks again for any input you give!

(Sorry for this long post, but since thisll be a big purchase for me, I dont want to go wrong and regret later.)

Last edited:
The IPS based tvs have poor contrast,only the local dimming type IPS display tvs have good contrast.

In the night time or even in room with moderate lighting you can see the blacks are not blacks but are grey or have a blue tint.

You can go to sony showroom and check the EX410(IPS panel) and the EX520(SPVA panel) side by side,if you are happy with the black level of IPS based tv,you can go for IPS based tvs from panasonic/LG.

Better blacks results in better contrast,better contrast means more depth in the image.

What is exactly the difference between X-Reality that is used in EX520 and BE3 EX410 ?

The BE3 was first seen in tvs of 2009,in 2011 sony introduced the x-reality which has better upscaling and de-interlacing and much faster start up time. It also has more online features.

The be3 tvs on the other hand in my view are now a OEM design,they have a different menu system and can play more formats via USB.

adder is very very correct..the black level is just awesome in ex520..I was watching a dvd on it..I couldn't tell difference if it is a high def or not..upscaling is so good...in discovery HD world channel some underwater scene looking too good.
If u are looking for PQ go with ex520..

Which TV did you actually buy ?

I bought a Sony 42EX410 recently but haven't opened it till now. I was in hurry when I bought it but now I am thinking to either use it or sell it and then buy a TV with 3D and/or Smart TV features like Internet etc. I feel this is a obsolete model and I should just get rid of it ?

What will be your suggestion ?

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back