Lg 50pj560

Don't go by LG website...its best to provide mis information.

My 42' 560 supports 1920 as well @ 75Hz, however it shrinks display to 21'.

All the 50' panel by default will have 13XX resolution as width would be more compared to 42'.

Also, it will not really make huge diffrnc compared to 10XX as 768 part remains same.

What is more important 13XX X 800/1020

Here is what the PDF manual reads on page 8.
"We recommend using 1920x1080, 60 Hz(Only
50/60PK5***), 1360x768, 60 Hz(Only 50pJ3***,
50PJ5***, 50PJ6***), 1024x768, 60 Hz(Only
42PJ3***, 42PJ5***, 42PJ6***) for the PC
mode, this should provide the best picture quality.
Does that lead to any conclusion?

This is a convincing evidence that 50PJ560 does have a 1360x768. Because, manufacturers always recommend the native resolution for PC connection.

I wrote a mail to LG Service yesterday(on the address on their website), let's see if they can throw some light on this resolution issue that can lead to it's resulution!
Lots of problems with the LG website, they have name and addresses of dealers who have long shut shop, for example.
From Shaiju's post I am almost convinced that PJ560 has a 1360x768 panel :)
But lets see what LG has to say on this.

My 42' 560 supports 1920 as well @ 75Hz, however it shrinks display to 21'.

I guess you are taking about the resolution you can set when connecting via PC. This is a different thing.
A panel(even LCD) will have ONLY one native resolution which is the confusion here. However from PC you can set other resolutions higher or lower than allowed. This generally results in lose of quality.
If I am not wrong, when using digital connection(DVI or HDMI), PC would not list unsupported resolution. However via VGA PC lists mostly all resolutions. This list is generally based on the capability of the Graphics subsystem in the PC rather than the display. And you can set any resolution and panel will do the required scaling. This is akin to what happens when you connect a DVD player or BDPlayer. DVD sends a 480p(or 576p) while BDP sends a 1080 signal. TV does necessary scaling to render it through its native resolution.

All the 50' panel by default will have 13XX resolution as width would be more compared to 42'.

IMHO not ALL 50" panel will have it. I guess it is up to the manufacturer.
Even the Panasonic 50" X20 has 1024x768 (check here)and unless Pana has also goofed up the spec page ;)

I somewhere read even the Pioneers had 1024x768 and this need not truly affect the PQ.

Ok guys, just got a call from the LG corporate office in response to my mail. The lady confirmed that 50PJ560 has 1024x768 resolution panel, while the other 2 models have 1365x768. Let confusion bloom :)

Ok, after another market visit yesterday, and much deliberation, have arrived at the following decision(to be implemented over this weekend):

1) 50PJ650. Saw the 42" one yesterday, very good looking, so compromising one sound :)

2) A Home Theatre in a box(don't have the knowhow or the money to go in for a high-end HT, don't want to go above 15K). Saw a Philips model 5530 yesterday, angled 3D speakers, 1000W RMS, HDMI, excellent sound quality and just within my budget. Have decided on this one unless someone knowledgable can suggest another option in this price range.

3) Also wanted to check if I need a stabilizer with the Plasma. We get Reliance 24 hour power at our place, but read elsewhere on these forums that one should definitely have a stabilizer with a plasma. Please to be helping out with advice.

Thanks a lot once again guys, really appreciate your taking time out for a total stranger.

Anurag,

Good choice. Yes, the PJ650 does look really sleek and stylish. Well, the picture quality on all the 3 HD ready models - PJ350/650/560 - is the same. It's only the design and speaker system that is different. Not sure about that Philips HT system. Am sure others will jump in to help you with that.

As for the stabiliser, yes I use a V-Guard Digital 100. Cost me 3k.

---Venkat

Ok, after another market visit yesterday, and much deliberation, have arrived at the following decision(to be implemented over this weekend):

1) 50PJ650. Saw the 42" one yesterday, very good looking, so compromising one sound :)

2) A Home Theatre in a box(don't have the knowhow or the money to go in for a high-end HT, don't want to go above 15K). Saw a Philips model 5530 yesterday, angled 3D speakers, 1000W RMS, HDMI, excellent sound quality and just within my budget. Have decided on this one unless someone knowledgable can suggest another option in this price range.

3) Also wanted to check if I need a stabilizer with the Plasma. We get Reliance 24 hour power at our place, but read elsewhere on these forums that one should definitely have a stabilizer with a plasma. Please to be helping out with advice.

Thanks a lot once again guys, really appreciate your taking time out for a total stranger.

If you plan to buy a HTiB, then I would suggest you to consider PJ350. I use a Sony HTiB and never use the TV speakers. LG allows you to mute internal speaker and I have done that. So whats the point paying for the added speakers in the TV? The 3K you save can be spent on a better HTiB or stabilizer :)

My take on HTiB:
I own a Sony HTiB (around 13K I guess). IMHO it sounds lot better than any TV can offer. Definitely a worthy addition.

I am not sure whether my opinion below matters for the Philips HTIB and its strictly based on Sony model I have.
One downside of a HTiB in my opinion is it has no scope for upgrade and has limited input.
No scope for upgrade : Player+processor+speaker all come as a package that cannot be individually upgraded. If the HTiB comes with a DVD player, you cannot upgrade it to Bluray.

Limited input:
My HTIB does not have optical-in and also no audio-in that accepts a multi-channel sound. So if I buy a Bluray player now, I cannot route its surround sound through my HTIB. Same if I get a HD DTH.
My HTIB has only stereo audio in :(
But Sony HTIBs of 16K+ range do have optical in. But usually has only one port.

As of now, I get surround sound only from the DVD drive of HTIB. So if I have a video with 5.1 sound, I usually need to burn it on a DVD and then play via HTIB. All other source come out of HTIB as stereo or pseudo surround.
So consider going for a HTIB that has enough multi-channel audio-in. If you are considering a HD DTH, you may need optical in.

So if I do upgrade my audio setup in future, I plan to go with AVR setup. But it is heck-lot expensive.

But I agree that HTiB gives good value for money and I do not regret my decision. It say served well so quite few years now and it may restrict my option as years pass by.

Thanks Dotmac. Actually, we've decided to go in for the PJ650 purely for the looks, it's going to be a permanent part of our living room, hopefully for a really long time, so that was a pretty big deciding factor.

We watch movies only on DVDs(Blu Rays are going to be beyond our reach for a considerable time I am sure, and we don't downlaod movies), and satellite channels through a STB(might shift to a DTH connection soon though). Do the limitations of a HTiB still stand? I am extremely sorry but am not too familiar with terms like Optical in etc.? Am quite handicapped technologically:sad:

Thanks Dotmac. Actually, we've decided to go in for the PJ650 purely for the looks, it's going to be a permanent part of our living room, hopefully for a really long time, so that was a pretty big deciding factor.

Thats true.

We watch movies only on DVDs(Blu Rays are going to be beyond our reach for a considerable time I am sure, and we don't downlaod movies), and satellite channels through a STB(might shift to a DTH connection soon though). Do the limitations of a HTiB still stand? I am extremely sorry but am not too familiar with terms like Optical in etc.? Am quite handicapped technologically:sad:

I checked the Philips website and saw two models :
HTS3520 (Rs.13,990.00)
1 stereo input in front.
1 stereo(AUX) input in rear.

HTS5530 (Rs.17,990.00)
2 stereo input in front.
2 stereo(AUX) input in rear.

For DVD playback, its a non-issue. The HTiB will process the sound directly.

For satellite channels, you will connect the cable directly to your TV. The TV processes the sound and the sound is stereo(generally).
If you want the TV sound to be heard via HTIB, you would connect the Audio-Out of the TV to one of the AUX audio input in rear of HTIB.

So this is not a problem and both models have a stereo AUX input in rear.
This will also apply to anything you play via USB on TV.

For DTH, (I am assuming you will go with a HD DTH), the sound is delivered by the Set-Top-Box(STB). HD channels comes with 5.1 surround sound while others a stereo. STBs has two sound output options,
a. Multi-channel output (5.1) : This uses the optical cable(TOSink).
b. Stereo output (2 channel) : This uses the AUX cable as in TV out.

As both Philips HTIBs does not have an optical-in, your only option is to connect it to the AUX audio input in rear of HTIB; just like your TV.
So you will not get a true 5.1 surround sound. But note that only couple of channels as of now has 5.1 sound.
So good thing is, you get to hear the sound via HTIB but not true surround sound.

The stereo input in the front of HTIB generally comes to use when you want to connect other stereo source like MP3 player.

So apart from missing 5.1 sound on DTH, I dont see any issue with these Philips model from connectivity perspective.

Hope I did not confuse you more :)

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back