LG C9 User Thread (No Price Talk)

Bought a C9 55inch on 31.10.2019. After installation I found out the Total power on time was 347 hours. The store (Khosla Electronics) is refusing to replace it. What should I do guys?
Wrong practice, write to Lg, I did the same even though the dealer had agreed to refund the amount. This is to ensure such practice is not followed in future.

Got the service remote from AliExpress. TPC to off. Hopefully this will be an end to the dimming in dark scenes.

Howz the brightness now in SDR & HDR .
Does the bright scenes glows unproportionately in HDR now !! Does the brightness dims too low in SDR now !!

I have been trying to figure ut the proper Brightness/Contrast /Oled settings sinche last 10 days. Still not able to find. Everytime i change the settings ; it feels OK for sometime then again things becomes same. I gets headache within 15 min of watching the TV continuously.
I tried keeping the Energy Saving on/off and all possible settings. I know its something with the Brightness/Contrast settings which is giving me severe eye pain/headache.

Howz the brightness now in SDR & HDR .
Does the bright scenes glows unproportionately in HDR now !! Does the brightness dims too low in SDR now !!

I have been trying to figure ut the proper Brightness/Contrast /Oled settings sinche last 10 days. Still not able to find. Everytime i change the settings ; it feels OK for sometime then again things becomes same. I gets headache within 15 min of watching the TV continuously.
I tried keeping the Energy Saving on/off and all possible settings. I know its something with the Brightness/Contrast settings which is giving me severe eye pain/headache.

Wait wait...these things are unrelated.ASBL has nothing to do with brightness and eye strain and HDR grading. Brightness doesn't change at all by turning off ASBL; it just doesn't dim in dark scenes, which the algorithm wrongly detects as static scenes.

Coming to eye strain, I got eye strain too if OLED light was too high. For a completely dark room, I have OLED light at 22. I watch for 5-6 hours everyday, often for 3 hours at a stretch, without any eye strain. If I increase it to even 25 in dark room, it starts hurting after half an hour or so. I am on brightness 52 to counter black crush, which might differ for you, so check that via avs calibration videos, which are on YouTube too.

For contrast, I have it at 80, as that disables ABL, and gamma at 2.4 which is the same as BT.1886 for OLEDs.

For day viewing, since my room doesn't get thar bright at all, I have OLED light only at 30. Again, 35 causes eye strain for me. So if you're getting eye strain, stick to accurate settings for brightness and contrast, but reduce OLED light till it doesn't hurt. Also, don't forget to blink. That also makes it worse. I stare at screens for 11-12 hours every day. On most days, I don't get eye strain. I have bias lighting behind my monitor, but even then if I set it to a few points higher than it is, I get eye strain. Also, close your eyes for 20 seconds after every 15-20 minutes.

Also, headache might be because of stutter too. I got it with Metz OLED. Try clear setting on Trumotion. Don't judge it too soon. Give yourself a few days to adjust to it. Rest assured, it isn't adding soap opera effect, just reducing OLED's horrible stutter.

Wait wait...these things are unrelated.ASBL has nothing to do with brightness and eye strain and HDR grading. Brightness doesn't change at all by turning off ASBL; it just doesn't dim in dark scenes, which the algorithm wrongly detects as static scenes.

Coming to eye strain, I got eye strain too if OLED light was too high. For a completely dark room, I have OLED light at 22. I watch for 5-6 hours everyday, often for 3 hours at a stretch, without any eye strain. If I increase it to even 25 in dark room, it starts hurting after half an hour or so. I am on brightness 52 to counter black crush, which might differ for you, so check that via avs calibration videos, which are on YouTube too.

For contrast, I have it at 80, as that disables ABL, and gamma at 2.4 which is the same as BT.1886 for OLEDs.

For day viewing, since my room doesn't get thar bright at all, I have OLED light only at 30. Again, 35 causes eye strain for me. So if you're getting eye strain, stick to accurate settings for brightness and contrast, but reduce OLED light till it doesn't hurt. Also, don't forget to blink. That also makes it worse. I stare at screens for 11-12 hours every day. On most days, I don't get eye strain. I have bias lighting behind my monitor, but even then if I set it to a few points higher than it is, I get eye strain. Also, close your eyes for 20 seconds after every 15-20 minutes.

Also, headache might be because of stutter too. I got it with Metz OLED. Try clear setting on Trumotion. Don't judge it too soon. Give yourself a few days to adjust to it. Rest assured, it isn't adding soap opera effect, just reducing OLED's horrible stutter.

Thanks Marakk.
Even my wife also complaints a lot about eye strain.
I shall try following settings and see.
oled light -30
brightness -50
contrast - 80.

Also during HDR content, the oled light changes to 100. should I manually change that too ? Because I read in rtings.com to leave the settings at default for HDR mode. Also truemotion setting to clear is not helping much. i see lot of artifacts while watching grand tour on prime. Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks Marakk.
Even my wife also complaints a lot about eye strain.
I shall try following settings and see.
oled light -30
brightness -50
contrast - 80.

Also during HDR content, the oled light changes to 100. should I manually change that too ? Because I read in rtings.com to leave the settings at default for HDR mode. Also truemotion setting to clear is not helping much. i see lot of artifacts while watching grand tour on prime. Any help is much appreciated.

HDR shouldn't hurt eyes as it's supposed to be graded for comfortable viewing in dark room. Do you have dynamic tone mapping turned on? Turn that off. That can brighten up some shows more than the creator wanted as that discards static metadata and does tone mapping on the fly. In which mode are you watching HDR 10?

I haven't seen grand tour. Will check it out. In which episode did you see artifacts? I have found clear to introduce less artifacts than even De-judder 1.

HDR shouldn't hurt eyes as it's supposed to be graded for comfortable viewing in dark room. Do you have dynamic tone mapping turned on? Turn that off. That can brighten up some shows more than the creator wanted as that discards static metadata and does tone mapping on the fly. In which mode are you watching HDR 10?

I haven't seen grand tour. Will check it out. In which episode did you see artifacts? I have found clear to introduce less artifacts than even De-judder 1.
hi,
currently dynamic tone mapping is ON since its the default. I am watching HDR in Standard mode.
Artifacts can be seen more prominently during panning shots like when a car goes on road with static scenery in background.

hi,
currently dynamic tone mapping is ON since its the default. I am watching HDR in Standard mode.
Artifacts can be seen more prominently during panning shots like when a car goes on road with static scenery in background.

Switch to Cinema or Technicolor. DTM, Dynamic contrast to Off. Energy Saving and all off. Motion eye care off. Color temperatue/white balance to Warm 2 or W40. AI brightness you can leave turned on.

If you give me a timestamp of an episode where artifacts happen, I can check it out. Otherwise it'll be a long watch, and I don't like cars that much.

Switch to Cinema or Technicolor. DTM, Dynamic contrast to Off. Energy Saving and all off. Motion eye care off. Color temperatue/white balance to Warm 2 or W40. AI brightness you can leave turned on.

If you give me a timestamp of an episode where artifacts happen, I can check it out. Otherwise it'll be a long watch, and I don't like cars that much.

Thanks Marakk.
I shall update with timestamp in evening today.

Have accumulated about 300 hours on my C9 now and the picture is pretty phenomenal but in some dark 1080p SDR content like HBOs Watchmen the black crush is very visible and so I may opt for professional calibration depending on what equipment the calibrator will be using here in Jaipur. These C9s are pretty accurate out of the box but I just want to know how far can they be pushed.

Have accumulated about 300 hours on my C9 now and the picture is pretty phenomenal but in some dark 1080p SDR content like HBOs Watchmen the black crush is very visible and so I may opt for professional calibration depending on what equipment the calibrator will be using here in Jaipur. These C9s are pretty accurate out of the box but I just want to know how far can they be pushed.

Are you watching it via Hotstar? Hotstar has shitty compression and bitrate for streaming it seems. Dark shows especially suffer a lot because of it. Even on my iffalcon HD 40 inch TV, it's a mess. Infact, it looks worse there.

Are you watching it via Hotstar? Hotstar has shitty compression and bitrate for streaming it seems. Dark shows especially suffer a lot because of it. Even on my iffalcon HD 40 inch TV, it's a mess. Infact, it looks worse there.
No I am watching the 1080p web dl rips floating on the Internet. And the thing is HDR performance is flawless, only in SDR I have this issue but very rarely only in some content.

Also while watching if I increase brightness the scene lights up very well revealing the crushed details but the pure blacks are gone so I am constantly trying to fiddle with the settings.

No I am watching the 1080p web dl rips floating on the Internet. And the thing is HDR performance is flawless, only in SDR I have this issue but very rarely only in some content.

Also while watching if I increase brightness the scene lights up very well revealing the crushed details but the pure blacks are gone so I am constantly trying to fiddle with the settings.

Use AVSHD's black levels slide to get accurate black levels and then leave it there. My brightness is at 52. I lose pure blacks at 53.

I have found 1080p from good sources to look almost as good as 4k. Even high bitrate 720p looks good. Definitely something in the rip only. Check on some HD monitor or TV to see if the problem is the TV or the source. HBO too is known for bad streaming quality via its own app. GoT taught us that for sure. Lol!

Use AVSHD's black levels slide to get accurate black levels and then leave it there. My brightness is at 52. I lose pure blacks at 53.

I have found 1080p from good sources to look almost as good as 4k. Even high bitrate 720p looks good. Definitely something in the rip only. Check on some HD monitor or TV to see if the problem is the TV or the source. HBO too is known for bad streaming quality via its own app. GoT taught us that for sure. Lol!
Will try this. On a different note, I came to know that the C9 is one of the few devices on the market which natively supports dual layer Dolby vision playback over plex !! What it means is that a 4K uhd remux in mp4 container can be played back with full bandwidth Dolby vision uncompressed video and lossy 5.1 surround sound.

I watched a few films like Godzilla: King of Monsters, Aquaman, John Wick 2 and Shazam with bitrates crossing 70 Mbps consistently in plex via local server and it worked smoothly. No stutters, buffering etc. Only problem is subtitles have to be in srt format loaded externally otherwise video gets transcoded.

Will try this. On a different note, I came to know that the C9 is one of the few devices on the market which natively supports dual layer Dolby vision playback over plex !! What it means is that a 4K uhd remux in mp4 container can be played back with full bandwidth Dolby vision uncompressed video and lossy 5.1 surround sound.

I watched a few films like Godzilla: King of Monsters, Aquaman, John Wick 2 and Shazam with bitrates crossing 70 Mbps consistently in plex via local server and it worked smoothly. No stutters, buffering etc. Only problem is subtitles have to be in srt format loaded externally otherwise video gets transcoded.

Ah! That's awesome. I'm also using plex now but over 5 GHz wifi. From where are you getting DV titles?

For subtitles, I think that's an issue with the internal media player. I also had to extract srt from some titles which I had to watch with parents.Otherwise, I don't use susbtitles.

Ah! That's awesome. I'm also using plex now but over 5 GHz wifi. From where are you getting DV titles?

For subtitles, I think that's an issue with the internal media player. I also had to extract srt from some titles which I had to watch with parents.Otherwise, I don't use susbtitles.
The Dolby vision titles are borrowed from friends as it’s difficult to download 65 to 80 gb data per movie. And the 5 GHz WiFi is the recommended solution for local streaming as the LG TVs LAN port is only 100 Mbps and performs unevenly.

The subtitle issue is specific to dolby vision remux streaming only and does not happen otherwise.

This thread goes in deep dive on the issue https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=18602

Ah! Th
The Dolby vision titles are borrowed from friends as it’s difficult to download 65 to 80 gb data per movie. And the 5 GHz WiFi is the recommended solution for local streaming as the LG TVs LAN port is only 100 Mbps and performs unevenly.

The subtitle issue is specific to dolby vision remux streaming only and does not happen otherwise.

This thread goes in deep dive on the issue https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=18602

Ah! Thanks for the info

Disney+ is offering 4k Dolby Vision on their titles. High-quality streaming too. I hope Hotstar improves, or we get Disney+ separately.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back