LG C9 User Thread (No Price Talk)

The costs seem to be adding up quickly for so many streaming services. Oh well! We have a treasure island. ;)

Wait wait...these things are unrelated.ASBL has nothing to do with brightness and eye strain and HDR grading. Brightness doesn't change at all by turning off ASBL; it just doesn't dim in dark scenes, which the algorithm wrongly detects as static scenes.

I tried to adjust the Brightness/Contrast as per AVS forum Brightness/Contrast calibration videos along with the Oled settings. following are my observation on C9

1. Contrast Values increase/Decrease did not make much difference on whitelevel . As in Contrast Calibration videos all bars were visible and flashing even if i kept the Contrast Values to 0 . [ both ISFDARK/Bright mode]
2. Contrast Value 80 doesnot seems to disable the ABL. Still the dark scenes gets to darker & dim ;which again gives too much strain for eyes.
3. Oled backlight increases does not seems to increase the overall luminance of the screen the way LED Backlight does. Oled light increase the overall contrast level.( May be this is the reason why Oled are not preferred even in mildy brighter rooms though Oleds peak brightness is way higher than most of the Mid Premium LED TVs )

Summary: ISFBright : Oled : 28 , Contrast :80 , Brighness 56 , Truemotion: Clear . .. Still getting eye strain & headache.

I tried to adjust the Brightness/Contrast as per AVS forum Brightness/Contrast calibration videos along with the Oled settings. following are my observation on C9

1. Contrast Values increase/Decrease did not make much difference on whitelevel . As in Contrast Calibration videos all bars were visible and flashing even if i kept the Contrast Values to 0 . [ both ISFDARK/Bright mode]
2. Contrast Value 80 doesnot seems to disable the ABL. Still the dark scenes gets to darker & dim ;which again gives too much strain for eyes.
3. Oled backlight increases does not seems to increase the overall luminance of the screen the way LED Backlight does. Oled light increase the overall contrast level.( May be this is the reason why Oled are not preferred even in mildy brighter rooms though Oleds peak brightness is way higher than most of the Mid Premium LED TVs )

Summary: ISFBright : Oled : 28 , Contrast :80 , Brighness 56 , Truemotion: Clear . .. Still getting eye strain & headache.

You seem to be confusing ABL and ASBL. The former reduces brightness on majorly white screens. There's hardwired limit that can't be removed, but the variable one depends on settings and can be disabled. Disabling it is important for PC usage, as web browsers will dim because they are full white. ASBL reduces light output on detecting static images. These are separate algorithms.

Are these settings for a completely dark room? If yes, then it's too bright. Reduce OLED light to 20.

Contrast setting adjusts white levels. Use the white level adjustment slides to set contrast. Brightness changes black levels. Use the black ones for that. There's also a guide on avshd forum for these slides if you want to learn how to use them.

OLED light works exactly like LED backlight, except that since it's an OLED, black remains at zero. Contrast ratio technically doesn't increase or decrease because it's still infinity compared to infinity. So just set it to a setting where you don't get eye strain. Simple. Don't complicate things.

hi,
I see many apps are not available on webos.
most reputed ones like vlc, filebrowser, mx, amazon music, foto.. are not available at all.
I am suprised why no one has complained about how shitty the webos is ....

Any idea on how to sideload apk file in lg c9 ?

APKs are for Android, WebOS is a different OS altogether.
Not possible to sideload apps on WebOS apparently.

Hi.
All 65C9 owners do you think sharpness at 10 is Ok.
My tv at 10 picture is too soft coming from samsung quantum dot tv there is major diff in sharpness.

hi,
I see many apps are not available on webos.
most reputed ones like vlc, filebrowser, mx, amazon music, foto.. are not available at all.
I am suprised why no one has complained about how shitty the webos is ....

Any idea on how to sideload apk file in lg c9 ?
Hi, I will not complaint about the WebOS, because I have preferred LG C9 for its great picture quality and I already knew the fact that it would not support as much apps like Android. If anybody wants OLED Android TV with same picture quality then they have to buy Sony A9G. But keep in mind that it's price is nearly double. C9's Preloaded apps are enough for most of the users. It has apps for all major streaming service like Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hotstar, YouTube, Disney+,........It supports most of the video format file stored in USB. If you still want to load more apps then you can purchase Amazon Fire Stick or Airtel Xtreme box. It costs 4000 to 6000. LG C9 with Fire stick still cheaper than the at par PQ Android OLED TV.

Hi.
All 65C9 owners do you think sharpness at 10 is Ok.
My tv at 10 picture is too soft coming from samsung quantum dot tv there is major diff in sharpness.
Recommended sharpness setting is 0 to 5 for SDR content. I use 3 and do not find any softness in HD /4K content. But SD content is not sharp and it is normal in above 55" TV.

LG C9 started giving me problems already.
I have connected my Denon Home theater system with TV using HDMI ARC.
It was working fine till yesterday, and today god knows wat happened, nothing is working now..
It resetted the tv and tried to unplug all hdmi ports and reconnected. no use..
Even tried with different hdmi cable and still no use..
I dont know if its a TV issue or Denon issue.

And funny thing is, when i change the volume on tv remote, the denon also shows volume changing. all hdmi control functions are working except no sound from AVR..

anyone faced this issue ? or am I the lucky guy ??

LG C9 started giving me problems already.
I have connected my Denon Home theater system with TV using HDMI ARC.
It was working fine till yesterday, and today god knows wat happened, nothing is working now..
It resetted the tv and tried to unplug all hdmi ports and reconnected. no use..
Even tried with different hdmi cable and still no use..
I dont know if its a TV issue or Denon issue.

And funny thing is, when i change the volume on tv remote, the denon also shows volume changing. all hdmi control functions are working except no sound from AVR..

anyone faced this issue ? or am I the lucky guy ??
I have connected LG SL6Y with C9 using Bluerigger HDMI ARC cable. Working fine. Audio Quality is awesome. I have not faced any issue.

Any update on this?

Haven't noticed in any other content. Since I'm a bit short on time and will be away for a week from tomorrow, haven't tested the old content as entire scenes have to be played for it to dim.

Guys. I'm seeing a couple of issues on a C9 that I have..On some 4k SDR videos I'm seeing a kind of coloured noise on black objects. For eg. This 4k video called walk through Shibuya. In this video it shows up on peoples black dresses and their hair. Does anyone notice this on their sets?

Also the black crush in near dark scenes is horrendous. Even with HDR videos such as the youtube 8k HDR video of Uzbekistan especially in the sunset . Think it is just about a minute into the video. There's literally no shadow detail of objects apart from the sun. I don't see this on the FZ950 which I will be returning due to a panel fault. These issues are prevalent even with content streamed from the phone . If these are not defeatable..its concerning

Update: False alarm on the noise. I'd messed with the ISF expert controls

Last edited:
Guys. I'm seeing a couple of issues on a C9 that I have..On some 4k SDR videos I'm seeing a kind of coloured noise on black objects. For eg. This 4k video called walk through Shibuya. In this video it shows up on peoples black dresses and their hair. Does anyone notice this on their sets?

Also the black crush in near dark scenes is horrendous. Even with HDR videos such as the youtube 8k HDR video of Uzbekistan especially in the sunset . Think it is just about a minute into the video. There's literally no shadow detail of objects apart from the sun. I don't see this on the FZ950 which I will be returning due to a panel fault. These issues are prevalent even with content streamed from the phone . If these are not defeatable..its concerning

Update: False alarm on the noise. I'd messed with the ISF expert controls

Which HDR mode are you using? Is dynamic tone mapping on the C9? What about the FZ950? Have you compared by turning off DTM and other dynamic options off in both?

Which HDR mode are you using? Is dynamic tone mapping on the C9? What about the FZ950? Have you compared by turning off DTM and other dynamic options off in both?
DTM is off on the FZ but I have tried it both on and off on the C9. The option barely has an impact on the darker areas . I have used all 6 picture modes Standard , Cinema, Cinema Home, Vivid, Technicolor and Game that pop up default when the HDR video plays. Standard seems to be slightly better than the others but again nothing meaningful

DTM is off on the FZ but I have tried it both on and off on the C9. The option barely has an impact on the darker areas . I have used all 6 picture modes Standard , Cinema, Cinema Home, Vivid, Technicolor and Game that pop up default when the HDR video plays. Standard seems to be slightly better than the others but again nothing meaningful

Dynamic tone mapping can have an effect depending on the metadata of the show. For example, it has drastic effect on Good Omens, and I'm guessing that's because the static metadata might be limiting the brightness according to the creator's intent, and since DTM rejects it and maps according it to TV's capabilities, there is a big change. That might not happen with other content. So for an accurate comparison, have it turned off in both. Also, use HDR slides from calibration threads, such as on avsforum, to calibrate black levels to remove black crush. Cinema and Technicolor are the accurate modes. Stick to those if you want accurate creator intention.

So in the Uzbekistan video, are you talking about the drone shot of the city at around one minute? In that, I can see a lot of details in the dark area. Are you watching it in a dark room? I did just now and my room is dark. I don't really see black crush in that.

Dynamic tone mapping can have an effect depending on the metadata of the show. For example, it has drastic effect on Good Omens, and I'm guessing that's because the static metadata might be limiting the brightness according to the creator's intent, and since DTM rejects it and maps according it to TV's capabilities, there is a big change. That might not happen with other content. So for an accurate comparison, have it turned off in both. Also, use HDR slides from calibration threads, such as on avsforum, to calibrate black levels to remove black crush. Cinema and Technicolor are the accurate modes. Stick to those if you want accurate creator intention.

So in the Uzbekistan video, are you talking about the drone shot of the city at around one minute? In that, I can see a lot of details in the dark area. Are you watching it in a dark room? I did just now and my room is dark. I don't really see black crush in that.
Hmm..HDR slides..let me try that. I'd turned off the dynamic tone mapping off prior on both sets..Infact details on the Panny remain clear with all default picture presets that it comes with . Even at the beginning of that video the LG had loss of details in the darker areas. Let me try those slides and report back.. Have a video of the problem but I don't think it explains what I see in person

Hmm..HDR slides..let me try that. I'd turned off the dynamic tone mapping off prior on both sets..Infact details on the Panny remain clear with all default picture presets that it comes with . Even at the beginning of that video the LG had loss of details in the darker areas. Let me try those slides and report back.. Have a video of the problem but I don't think it explains what I see in person

And I might not be able to spot what you're seeing as I don't have the Panasonic for comparison. So try the HDR calibration slides and see if it makes a difference. Stick to Cinema or technicolor. Standard mode might have loss of details on both ends in order to present a more vibrant image.

premium content not playing in hotstar app in lgc9. Attaching screen shot. Pls help

Consulted with Hotstar and LG about the issue and none of them are able to resolve the issue.
Still Premium content is not playing in Hotstar app in LG C9.

Atleast Hotstar is able to acknowledge the issue and sent the below response to me.

Dear Akhilesh,

Sincere apologies for the inconvenience.

This is a known issue with few models of LG TVs and we have already highlighted the issue to the LG Team.

We wish to inform you that we are working on a new video player which will be launched soon. Please note that the new player will resolve this issue. However, it will take up to 3-5 weeks. Appreciate your patience.

In the meantime, we request you to try accessing on our platform via a Laptop/Desktop Web browser or Hotstar mobile app.​
Thanks,
Tejas Pawar
Hotstar Team.​

However, LG is sill not providing any resolution from their end.
I was not expecting such immature customer care from LG.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back