LG C9 User Thread (No Price Talk)

Bought the 55C9 a couple of weeks ago - here in Norway.

During night scenes, I find the TV is barely watchable - I am playing 1080p movies via USB hard disk (also tried playing from laptop (VLC player) via HDMI cable.)
It seems too dark and I have to turn off all the lights to compensate for this. Vivid is the only mode, where I can see something in the movie.

No problem when the scene is not completely dark at all. No other complains for the TV. Upgraded from Panasonic ST60 plasma - so black levels and natural looking picture is what I was looking for and this TV does not disappoint.

(I have tried to play around with the isf mode and increasing the brightness does not help.) All the fancy features like superresolution etc. are turned off)

Errrr....don't touch brightness. Brightness adjusts black levels. Set it to accurate one and keep it there. Raise OLED light. I have it at 22 for dark room. Plenty bright.

Bought the 55C9 a couple of weeks ago - here in Norway.

During night scenes, I find the TV is barely watchable - I am playing 1080p movies via USB hard disk (also tried playing from laptop (VLC player) via HDMI cable.)
It seems too dark and I have to turn off all the lights to compensate for this. Vivid is the only mode, where I can see something in the movie.

No problem when the scene is not completely dark at all. No other complains for the TV. Upgraded from Panasonic ST60 plasma - so black levels and natural looking picture is what I was looking for and this TV does not disappoint.

(I have tried to play around with the isf mode and increasing the brightness does not help.) All the fancy features like superresolution etc. are turned off)
Make sure the black level (high/low) is changed depending on source. Laptop may be sending 0-255 range signal and TV outputting 16-235 range.

I leave it on standby and turn it off from the power switch only at night. The automatic pixel refresher takes only 7-8 minutes, so you can cut power 10 minutes after turning off TV from remote. Turning off TV while pixel refresher is running won't damage the TV. LG would be bankrupt if it did.
Why would you turn off the power switch? I leave mine on standby at all times and since it is connected to a UPS by APC, I don't have to worry about clean power.

It is definitely recommended that you keep an OLED on standby at all times. Just my two cents on this matter.

I managed to find the settings discussed in my previous post - have not been able to test the dark scenes - basically the Eco mode has to be turned off and then the TV becomes a lot 'brighter - at least for the day scenes - so bright that it might require some reduction - when watching in dark rooms. Should I reduce the brightness to less than 50 for that?

Meanwhile, does anyone know if the GSYNC update has been rolled out outside the US?

I got a nice Belkin 48 Gbps HDMI cable but currently do not have a source (such as PC) to test 4K 120 Hz.

I managed to find the settings discussed in my previous post - have not been able to test the dark scenes - basically the Eco mode has to be turned off and then the TV becomes a lot 'brighter - at least for the day scenes - so bright that it might require some reduction - when watching in dark rooms. Should I reduce the brightness to less than 50 for that?

Meanwhile, does anyone know if the GSYNC update has been rolled out outside the US?

I got a nice Belkin 48 Gbps HDMI cable but currently do not have a source (such as PC) to test 4K 120 Hz.

I was about to mention to turn off all energy saving settings, but waited for you to reply. Lol

It has been discussed previously in this thread too. Anything to do with energy saving, except timers, turn off.

In a dark room, I get eye strain starting from 24-25 OLED light in ISF dark mode. Also, keep gamma to BT.1886 or 2.4, where it is by default in dark mode but not bright. I have OLED light at 35 in bright mode and gamma at BT. 1886 only as my room doesn't get that bright anyway thanks to curtains. You can have it at 2.2 too if your room does get bright. ISF Bright mode has color gamut set to wide; make that Auto. Wide will push many SDR sources to have excess saturation, which wasn't the creator's intention.

Also, OLED light below 35 turns off ABL. Contrast at 80 does that too as mentioned by Rtings and tested by some users. Check your black levels with test patterns from avsforum. The slides are on YouTube too. I had to raise brightness to 52 in SDR sources to get rid of black crush in my panel.

We're on the same firmware as US, so you will have gsync if you have a compatible graphic card.

Quick question, yesterday while watching a serial my my brand new TV suddenly went off (even though there was current). When I switched it on again using the remote it was all normal. Anything that I should be worried about? Would it have to do anything with the electric surge? I currently have the tv plugged into a power strip.

4k 120hz wont be possible due to limitation of bandwidth on graphics card side(HDMI 2.0b still). Otherwise G-sync is working very well on all games. On my RTX 2080 Super the latest call of duty fluctuates between 45 to 60 frames at 4k ultra settings and there is no tearing.

Also the latest LG update (4.70.12) will officially certify the TV as a G-sync display in the Nvidia Control panel when it goes live for India.

Quick question, yesterday while watching a serial my my brand new TV suddenly went off (even though there was current). When I switched it on again using the remote it was all normal. Anything that I should be worried about? Would it have to do anything with the electric surge? I currently have the tv plugged into a power strip.
Power strips are not reliable. It's sockets are not well made. Sometime plug is not seated properly. Use spike buster from reliable brands like Belkin, Honeywell, Targus......if there is any power fluctuation then a stabilizer or online ups is best.

Power strips are not reliable. It's sockets are not well made. Sometime plug is not seated properly. Use spike buster from reliable brands like Belkin, Honeywell, Targus......if there is any power fluctuation then a stabilizer or online ups is best.
@pingpong Sorry I meant I used a spike buster (Belkin), so I was wondering if there was an issue.

Another weird thing happened, when I switched on the TV and the HT my light went off, but I switched it on again and everything was fine... I'm guessing I will have to check the load once...

Another weird thing happened, when I switched on the TV and the HT my light went off, but I switched it on again and everything was fine... I'm guessing I will have to check the load once...
Yes, you have to check the load. There may be fluctuation. Also ask the lineman to check the loose connectivity on the electric post. If everything ok, then usiing a stabilizer or online ups can solve this issue.

I was thinking to buy oled tv,but was concerned about burn in,as at my place we watch DTH quite a lot & all the channels have their logos permanently on display,has anyone experienced burn in or pixel failure for logos ?

I was thinking to buy oled tv,but was concerned about burn in,as at my place we watch DTH quite a lot & all the channels have their logos permanently on display,has anyone experienced burn in or pixel failure for logos ?

If you watch dth for more than 3-4 hours everyday, OLED isn't for you right now. There are options to dim luminance of logos, but over time, burn-in will happen.

If you watch dth for more than 3-4 hours everyday, OLED isn't for you right now. There are options to dim luminance of logos, but over time, burn-in will happen.
Yes marakk,I will take your advice & drop oled from my purchase,the after reading reviews on the net,Sony 900F 2018 ,or Sony 950g 2019 model has been compared in contrast & blacks to Oled screens,after Sony,s fald models comes Samsung Q80 or Q70.,is there someone having experience with the above or any other models

There was some talk of apple tv app, but cant find it in the lg store

Last edited:
I am trying to see what are the options to connect my Dell Latitude series laptops to the C9.
Turns out that my Latitude (as new as 7390) does not support HDMI 2.0 and hence I cannot get more than 30 Hz refresh rate while connecting with an HDMI 2.1 cable.
In the wireless configuration, matters are worse, I cannot even get 4K resolution - I can get 2K - in a letterbox mode - and that is sub-optimal.

For me to use this as a secondary monitor occasionally do some productivity work and maybe to watch a few videos, what are the options?
I have heard about the LG app, but I am not planning to install it on my office laptop (maybe I can try on the older home laptops), but I am not sure if I gain anything out of it.

Will Chromecast Ultra of FireTV 4K help to overcome the casting limitations that I am referring to above?

I was hoping 4K 120Hz would be easy, but looks like right now I am struggling to get even 4k 60 Hz. :)

I connected my external USB HDD to try out some 4K movies - everything works fine. The only problem is that the TV's inbuilt software does not allow you to adjust the position of the subtitles nor the color. The subtitles are in very bright white, which is a distraction on dark scenes.
Is there some way to reduce the brightness and or change the color of the subtitles?
I might go for a FireTV 4K later on with Kodi in future which could perhaps be a better way to watch movies.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back