LG C9 User Thread (No Price Talk)

Last week, LG had organized a home demo for 55 C9.

This TV is superb for Netflix, Prime and others in 4k and Dolby Vision. Excellent colors, especially blacks. Way ahead of LCD TVs.

But it was subpar in performance to my LG 42 inch Plasma when it came to watching the fast action football matches on Hotstar. Unlike Plasma, C9 could not handle fast motion well, especially long passes of football - football looks out of shape and somewhat transparent. Even if you disable TruMotion feature off, this glitch remains.

LG needs to address this issue in 2020 and future models.

I also noticed that the picture quality of my 42 inch 720p LG plasma is superior when playing SD and 720p HD content. This could be due to the smaller screen size (42 vs 55), upscaling method or some other factors but the picture quality on plasma is clearly superior.

You must have got a demo unit. Did you try changing the mode of use to home? Even when I auditioned upscaling was terrible due to over brightness and wrong calibration. I only purchased the c9 for its good performance on 4k contents. But at home the same contents that where horrible are extremely good. I have two 1080p Blu-ray movies and upscaling was so good that I actually paused and checked the file if it was 1080p or 4K. I myself gave very poor feedback for upscaling but after using it at home for a week I can very well assure with the right settings upscaling is excellent in the c9.

You must have got a demo unit. Did you try changing the mode of use to home? Even when I auditioned upscaling was terrible due to over brightness and wrong calibration. I only purchased the c9 for its good performance on 4k contents. But at home the same contents that where horrible are extremely good. I have two 1080p Blu-ray movies and upscaling was so good that I actually paused and checked the file if it was 1080p or 4K. I myself gave very poor feedback for upscaling but after using it at home for a week I can very well assure with the right settings upscaling is excellent in the c9.

Yes, mine was a demo unit.

For SD and 720P HD content, I changed several modes/settings yet it performed subpar than my Plasma.

But as far as 4k content is concerned, this TV performs superb!

Yes, mine was a demo unit.

For SD and 720P HD content, I changed several modes/settings yet it performed subpar than my Plasma.

But as far as 4k content is concerned, this TV performs superb!
I didn’t check 720p as it was not a concern since I don’t watch any 720p content. But 1080p for sure is excellent. But I don’t think 720p upscaling is important for any one who is looking for an oled tv. Main purpose is 4K and HDR. And almost all contents are available in 1080p and c9 excels in 1080p upscaling. If main purpose is to watch SD 720p and lesser contents such as cable TV I don’t think oled is the right TV and surely the manufacturer’s didn’t intend for such buyers.

I also noticed that the picture quality of my 42 inch 720p LG plasma is superior when playing SD and 720p HD content. This could be due to the smaller screen size (42 vs 55), upscaling method or some other factors but the picture quality on plasma is clearly superior.
Yes, correct. SD and 720p are always better in smaller size. So 42 is better than 55. It is like enlarging a passport size to maxi size or A4 size. 55" has to upscale 480p to it native size 2160p. So, it will definitely reduce the PQ. But 42" has to upscale 480p to it native 720/1080p. So It will be better for SD & 720p.

Last edited:
I didn’t check 720p as it was not a concern since I don’t watch any 720p content. But 1080p for sure is excellent. But I don’t think 720p upscaling is important for any one who is looking for an oled tv. Main purpose is 4K and HDR. And almost all contents are available in 1080p and c9 excels in 1080p upscaling. If main purpose is to watch SD 720p and lesser contents such as cable TV I don’t think oled is the right TV and surely the manufacturer’s didn’t intend for such buyers.

Valid argument.

I think there is a lot of content in 720p or 1080i at Hotstar. I watched a TV series Rome at Hotstar on both Plasma and C9. Without a doubt, the picture quality is far superior on Plasma than C9.

I used my tv for a week and calibrated black level as low. So noticed a lot of black crush and now when u changes it to high some improvements but I need it to reduce brightness. What is the right settings low or high ?

Looks like LG is done with OLEDs and we might not see any new models after C9. Watch this-

Lol Lg has revaled plethora of OLEDS inclusing rolling up and down just a week back.CX(C10) will be the one of the best tv this year specially for the price.

I noticed a thin white line in all four corners at the end of OA trailer in Netflix. Also the same I have noticed when playing one black screen test in YouTube. Can some C9 owner play the OA season one trailer at Dark room and see in this seen if the same exists ?

6E033241-B2C5-443F-9EDC-34788DC31F34.jpeg8AFFBCF6-54EF-47D3-9C3B-967052B31AD2.jpeg

Guys ... How this pixel refresher works .. My C9 is more than 250 Hours as of now; but i never seen the pixel refresher runing when it is switched OFF.
Do i need to activate it manually or there is an auto mode by default.

Dam i missed this part during my research on the cons of Oled. Might have considered sony x950g

2019 OLED sets don't have black crush once set up correctly, and I have detailed that in your black crush thread. You can simply check pre-calibration gamma tracking by Rtings or Flatpanelshd or avforums to confirm that C9 is tracking gamma as it should in the dark to mid areas. Slight errors are there in higher ranges.

2019 OLED sets don't have black crush once set up correctly, and I have detailed that in your black crush thread. You can simply check pre-calibration gamma tracking by Rtings or Flatpanelshd or avforums to confirm that C9 is tracking gamma as it should in the dark to mid areas. Slight errors are there in higher ranges.
Dam i missed this part during my research on the cons of Oled. Might have considered sony x950g
I actually take it back. I actually don’t think I can go back to a led or qled what so ever after using oled. I do feel that there are certain dark scenes details are crushed out but every panels have their cons and pro’s and I think I couldn’t be any happier then c9.

I actually take it back. I actually don’t think I can go back to a led or qled what so ever after using oled. I do feel that there are certain dark scenes details are crushed out but every panels have their cons and pro’s and I think I couldn’t be any happier then c9.

Wait till there's a stack change and tadf-blue comes in; these will increase the color gamut and brightness too. Plus, LG also patented designs for borderless OLED panels on two sides. Let's see when they bring those out. Anyway, doesn't mean our sets won't be good anymore. Just better will exist. Lol

Guys ... How this pixel refresher works .. My C9 is more than 250 Hours as of now; but i never seen the pixel refresher runing when it is switched OFF.
Do i need to activate it manually or there is an auto mode by default.

The short compensation cycles run automatically after every four hours of cumulative view time. You won't see anything on the screen, but when it runs, you can hear the power relay switching off after a delay when you shut the TV downm Whenever you shut down the TV, don't cut it's power for 10 minutes. The cycles will run on their own when you have clocked 4 hours or more since the last one.

The longer one is an hour long one, and it needs to be toggled manually from OLED settings, or it'll run on its after you cross 2,000 hours.

Back