LG C9 User Thread (No Price Talk)

2019 OLED sets don't have black crush once set up correctly, and I have detailed that in your black crush thread. You can simply check pre-calibration gamma tracking by Rtings or Flatpanelshd or avforums to confirm that C9 is tracking gamma as it should in the dark to mid areas. Slight errors are there in higher ranges.
You dont need to demonize other LEDs to make your point.whats the point of posting some random guys reddit thread.when that person is saying Q80R has black crush you believe it and when LOVE4Sound mentioned it you are refusing to believe him.

check rtings here https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/compare/lg-c9-vs-samsung-q80r/802/807?usage=7318&threshold=0.1

C9 has 9 and Q80R has 8.7 according to RTINGS.I also feel C9 is one of the best tv of last year with GZ2000 being the best.but to say only OLED is best and everything else is garbage is not correct.High LED tv like Q80R or sony X950g perform superbly for bright room for both HDR and SDR.

FYI C9 has some black crush issue along with minor flashing according to this article.

You dont need to demonize other LEDs to make your point.whats the point of posting some random guys reddit thread.when that person is saying Q80R has black crush you believe it and when LOVE4Sound mentioned it you are refusing to believe him.

check rtings here https://www.rtings.com/tv/tools/compare/lg-c9-vs-samsung-q80r/802/807?usage=7318&threshold=0.1

C9 has 9 and Q80R has 8.7 according to RTINGS.I also feel C9 is one of the best tv of last year with GZ2000 being the best.but to say only OLED is best and everything else is garbage is not correct.High LED tv like Q80R or sony X950g perform superbly for bright room for both HDR and SDR.

FYI C9 has some black crush issue along with minor flashing according to this article.

Those are owner complaints with proof and lots more in comments. Make you want of it. I didn't say they are garbage in my comment, did I? This is called a strawman argument. Look it up.

For C9, John Archer isn't calibrating the set. He hasn't provided at pre-calibration gamma tracking values. He's not a professional calibrator. Avforums, Flatpanelshd and Rtings themselves have provided gamma errors, and there are none in the lower ranges. Just go and check. Do you understand what that means? N
It means no black crush. C9 won blind shootout in shadow details over GZ2000 and Q90 and A9G, as my friend pointed out in the OLED black crush thread. Although, that was after calibration by Vincent.

However, calibrating black levels is pretty simple for SDR. Love4sound now knows how to calibrate his set to have zero black crush. He can have reference level images now for shadow details in SDR. OLED TVs are also used a client reference monitors in color grading world. You know what that means? When they talk artistic intent, OLEDs will represent those most accurately, because they are being used in the color grading process.

Btw, do you have a C9?

Last edited:

Lol I don’t think he said it was garbage

Lol I don’t think he said it was garbage

Exactly! Plus, I have myself recommended Q70 or X950G to a few people on the forum when their usage doesn't sit well for OLED. I don't get why these people are just coming after me with fallacious arguments.

Exactly! Plus, I have myself recommended Q70 or X950G to a few people on the forum when their usage doesn't sit well for OLED. I don't get why these people are just coming after me with fallacious arguments.
From my observation Oled isnt perfect just like qled or any other type of panels. All have their ups and downs. For me i am enjoying deep blacks. I become so happy when the screen goes completely black. To my wife I wil be like hey see pitch black guess if the Tv is on or off, dont know why but it makes me happy like a baby seeing something for the first time. My room is dark and pitch black at night so yeah i am loving my C9

From my observation Oled isnt perfect just like qled or any other type of panels. All have their ups and downs. For me i am enjoying deep blacks. I become so happy when the screen goes completely black. To my wife I wil be like hey see pitch black guess if the Tv is on or off dont know it makes me happy like a baby seeing something for the sometime. My room is dark and pitch black at night so yeah i am loving my C9

Agreed. I mean, I'm the one who started the flashing thread and asked everyone to check and then uniformity thread too. I'm under no illusion of perfection, but if someone has the budget and their usage won't cause burn-in, it's OLED without a doubt. I must have have helped 5+ people if not 10+ in making up their mind with accurate info and analysis. Biggest fear is burn-in, and just to help people I have written the same comment over and over again, and when their usage was harmful for OLED in like 3-4 years, I did warn them.

I love that too! In video editing, fade to blacks represent an end, or a punctuated moment when used artistically in some films, such as zoning out or blanking out. So when we ourselves go completely into the darkness, it's ideal. It impacts a lot more.

Then in many moments, the TV fades into the darkness even when there's content on screen. It's actually better to have a dark grey wall behind the TV. I'll get that done in my next setup. Leads to this floating image illusion that's super cool for me.

Attachments

• IMG_20191130_001725.jpg
    IMG_20191130_001725.jpg
    1,007.3 KB · Views: 21
Guys I am feeling the sound output/quality of my C9 is not upto my expectation especially for dialogs and clarify in music/movies. I am not expecting it to do being so thin on the entire panel TV itself. So now looking at options of getting a good quality Soundbar as even though I have a HT receiver I hardly use it and that too its not 4k enabled. Looking at the current Amazon sale I think any good soundbar under 20k with or without subwoofer and I see some good deals on JBL, Bose, Sony, Pioneer. I am looking at strictly Soundbars because of aesthetic reasons.

Thanks

Guys I am feeling the sound output/quality of my C9 is not upto my expectation especially for dialogs and clarify in music/movies. I am not expecting it to do being so thin on the entire panel TV itself. So now looking at options of getting a good quality Soundbar as even though I have a HT receiver I hardly use it and that too its not 4k enabled. Looking at the current Amazon sale I think any good soundbar under 20k with or without subwoofer and I see some good deals on JBL, Bose, Sony, Pioneer. I am looking at strictly Soundbars because of aesthetic reasons.

Thanks
Also add Yamaha sound bar to the list. It is very good may have to extend your budget but worth it

I have heard 209 at my cousins place. I liked it even without a subwoofer

That is being quoted around 32k :oops: And I think apart from more wattage both the 109 and 209 seems to be similar with the addition of the wireless subwoofer. I think I can use my existing Jamo subwoofer with 109 if required as it has sub out option.

Thanks

I had the same feeling. It just sounds really thin and bright. Rtings has published a review of LG SL6Y, and that's also towards the the bright side. I'm glad I didn't take the soundbar offer. The harsh treble really gets to me and leads to aural fatigue.

You need to decide whether you need a subwoofer or not. Polk Signa S2 is a good option if you need one. I personally went with Edifier B3, as I didn't need a subwoofer, and it's way better than internal speakers. Sounds a lot more robust, warmer and smoother. It doesn't have any virtual surround though, which I didn't need as I'll explain later. Good enough for now. My ideal setup is actually some nice bookshelf speakers for a wider stereo soundstage. I'm not a fan of surround, especially when placed more towards rear.

Coming to virtual surround, what I found in my research, including Yamaha soundbars with DTS: virtual X, that virtual surround modes reduce signal fidelity, either muddying it up or making it brighter, which is the case with Yamaha.

Now the thing with sound is that room acoustics also matter. In some rooms virtual modes might be a flop, but work well in others. It's hard to predict whether a particular surround mode in the soundbar you selected will work or not.

There are a lot of options. You'll have to narrow your preferences and select accordingly. Sony also has X-8500 for 25k, which you can look for all-in-one solution. Read the owner's thread of that if you want for a bit more informed user reviews as compared to in general shopping sites one. Do that for each soundbar actually that you shortlist. Each might have some quirks. The more features are added, more quirks that might come up. For example, Yamaha soundbars with subwoofer can sometimes not work well with bassy voices, as they send some of the vocal range to subwoofer because of their high crossover. So thorough research will be needed.

I spent more on room acoustics than I did on the soundbar. Lol

Thanks @Marakk for the extensive reply. I have a very good stereo system which you can read on my signature. Let me try the optical out of the TV to my R2R DAC and listen on my main stereo setup. Right now I use the optical out from my Chromecast Audio, so not sure if the C9 has a coaxial output then I need not change the digital inputs on my DAC. But I doubt if it has a coaxial output.

Thanks @Marakk for the extensive reply. I have a very good stereo system which you can read on my signature. Let me try the optical out of the TV to my R2R DAC and listen on my main stereo setup. Right now I use the optical out from my Chromecast Audio, so not sure if the C9 has a coaxial output then I need not change the digital inputs on my DAC. But I doubt if it has a coaxial output.

Ah! Somehow signatures aren't showing currently for me. I'm on mobile. Anyway, I have no experience with DACs and all, so I'll let you figure that out. I have given you whatever I learnt from my soundbar search. Looking forward to your thoughts when you finally get one. Do update. Oh, I just missed one thing. In terms of size of the speaker units, I went with Edifier as even after spending 2.5x much on solo soundbars, the configuration wasn't improving. Yamaha 109 for example has one 3" "subwoofer" and then a 2" mid-range driver with 1" tweeter. It was cost 21k. Edifier B3 has dual 2.7" bass and mid-range units and their 19mm eagle eye tweeter. Now both Yamaha and Edifier are known good sound; of course, the former has more prestige; but after paying 2.5x I wasn't sure it's much of an improvement. Polk Signa S2 comes with a subwoofer and has a 4" inch driver too if I'm not misremembering. That's literally all I know about sound. So I'll humbly bow out. Lol

Yes! But do note, it's pretty basic. No virtual surround. Works for me. Might not for you. My point was that you decide what you need and look for that. Do you want sub-bass? Do you want dynamic range control or virtual surround? How about 4k passthrough or ARC?

For me, I was finding Seth Meyer's voice really grating, along with of course TV being brighter and teeny in general. The solution was not just buying better audio solution, but also treating reflections. I have found that you realize what's good sound only when you have heard better or if something really stands out, like aural fatigue that I was getting.

My brother in Delhi had bought Yamaha HS-8 monitors, and I was luckily visiting him, so I could do some listening and get to know how high-quality audio should sound. The soundbar alone got me like 50% there. Treating the rear wall and bass traps; foam ones only but then I'm not dealing with sub-bass here as no subwoofer; that got me 70% there to the HS-8 quality in terms of mid-range and tonality. Of course, HS-8 has more bass.

Ok understood and yes I just need a soundbar and do not need a sub. But anyway I have a unused Jamo sub lying with me since many years now so I can use that if the need arises. So not sure which one is good one unless I audition it but not possible with my TV and in my home. I am basically looking at improving the sound of the tiny speakers of C9 with better clarity and music. With the TV speakers its like the voices are smudged and I need to increase to like 60 on the knob to just get a clear audible sound. I am not much into virtual/DTS/4k pass through and all for which I can get a decent 4k HT receiver. So for now just a soundbar and hence the hunt started.

Thanks

Ok understood and yes I just need a soundbar and do not need a sub. But anyway I have a unused Jamo sub lying with me since many years now so I can use that if the need arises. So not sure which one is good one unless I audition it but not possible with my TV and in my home. I am basically looking at improving the sound of the tiny speakers of C9 with better clarity and music. With the TV speakers its like the voices are smudged and I need to increase to like 60 on the knob to just get a clear audible sound. I am not much into virtual/DTS/4k pass through and all for which I can get a decent 4k HT receiver. So for now just a soundbar and hence the hunt started.

Thanks

Alright. Then I'll suggest not spending 20k. The added cost is for novelty virtual surround modes and processing and brand value. Stick to 10k, as you'll get 90-95% of the sound quality compared to higher cost ones. JBL also has good options actually in the range. SB110 for example. Check that out too then. Polk Signa Solo seemed to have shutdown issues and muddied bass leaking into mids so I passed over that. Do ensure that whatever you get has a sub out. Edifier B3 does have that. I'm pretty happy with it. Only bummer is that I can't use the magic remote as even with AUX, LG isn't allowing the use of TV's remote to control sound, and optical doesn't allow it anyway. So a soundbar with HDMI ARC might be desirable if you don't want to use a second remote. Edifier one doesn't have that sadly.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back