LG C9 User Thread (No Price Talk)

Let me clarify - I have not purchase a new tv yet. LG sends OLEDtvs to customers to try before they buy. I received a unit to demo it in my house.
Then you can very well remove the front film. Use it till they get back to you.

1293 is very high. Yes escalate it to LG if they deny.

Mine had 1800+ hours on it , but thankfully the dealer replaced it. The LG Installation guy also was at loss confirming i had received a brand new piece , he mentioned LG does QA of the TVs before they send it out to manufacturers. Even the showroom demo piece had less hours than my TV :)

I received a demo unit of the 65 C9 from LG shortly before the lockdown and fortunately or unfortunately i still have it. I did noice that both the front film and he back film are still on - now im confused if i should remove them or just let it be. Don't have e LG installation guy number to check this with - any thoughts?
Edit: Just saw the subsequent post. Never mind.

Last edited:
Anyone has idea when disney will add 4K and dolby vision support in India. I am looking to give marvel movies a run chronologically when DV is enabled.

Anyone has idea when disney will add 4K and dolby vision support in India. I am looking to give marvel movies a run chronologically when DV is enabled.

No idea. I doubt the scale up will happen anytime soon now with COVID-19. I refuse to watch titles in HD and SDR when they should be in 4k and HDR. I need my HDR!! Or DV. Don't care as long as it's gloriously dynamic.

No idea. I doubt the scale up will happen anytime soon now with COVID-19. I refuse to watch titles in HD and SDR when they should be in 4k and HDR. I need my HDR!! Or DV. Don't care as long as it's gloriously dynamic.
Exactly! The Mandalorian looks so bad ! Tried one episode and then put it on shelf till DV is available.

Exactly! The Mandalorian looks so bad ! Tried one episode and then put it on shelf till DV is available.

Haha! Well, I'm now running pumped out SDR with a really high gamma curve of 3.2 to make SDR have higher dynamic range too, so SDR too looks good to me, but I still prefer having content created in HDR to be in HDR.

I was wondering if I can use a Bluetooth headset For audio output from c9. I do see an option in audio output as Bluetooth so I am guessing we can use a Bluetooth headset for audio

Last edited:
Haha! Well, I'm now running pumped out SDR with a really high gamma curve of 3.2 to make SDR have higher dynamic range too, so SDR too looks good to me, but I still prefer having content created in HDR to be in HDR.
Btw I tried the high gamma as u suggested, the SDR content looks better certainly. I just had a concern if that decreases my panel life?

Btw I tried the high gamma as u suggested, the SDR content looks better certainly. I just had a concern if that decreases my panel life?

Haha! Awesome. How exactly did you dial in the gamma?

I'll tell you my settings. ISF dark mode; I have kept OLED light at 90. Contrast at 80; it minimizes ABL. Peak Brightness at High. For 3.2 gamma, I went to white balance, switched to 22 points IRE control, raised the target luminance of 100 IRE to 500, and then adjustment meter to +50. So max luminance becomes 550. Then for each step, I used this formula to calculate the value:

[(Target IRE/100)^Target Gamma}*Max Luminance

So for 550 nits max luminance as we settled above, 95 IRE should have the value: [(95/100)^3.2]*550 which becomes (0.95^3.2)*550 and then 0.84862444357*550 and the final answer is 466.743443966.

When you'll go to 95 IRE in the settings, it'll show the target luminance. Adjust the luminance slider accordingly to hit this number approximately; Increase it if target is below the number, or decrease it if it above it.

So this is kind of like watching only HDR content, but we still aren't running the panel at max luminance, and the headroom is still there, so as long as static elements aren't there, panel should be good for 4-5 years at least even with extensive usage. Even though the OLED light is at 90 with peak luminance at high, because the super high gamma, the overall picture level has been reduced.

Haha! Awesome. How exactly did you dial in the gamma?

I'll tell you my settings. ISF dark mode; I have kept OLED light at 90. Contrast at 80; it minimizes ABL. Peak Brightness at High. For 3.2 gamma, I went to white balance, switched to 22 points IRE control, raised the target luminance of 100 IRE to 500, and then adjustment meter to +50. So max luminance becomes 550. Then for each step, I used this formula to calculate the value:

[(Target IRE/100)^Target Gamma}*Max Luminance

So for 550 nits max luminance as we settled above, 95 IRE should have the value: [(95/100)^3.2]*550 which becomes (0.95^3.2)*550 and then 0.84862444357*550 and the final answer is 466.743443966.

When you'll go to 95 IRE in the settings, it'll show the target luminance. Adjust the luminance slider accordingly to hit this number approximately; Increase it if target is below the number, or decrease it if it above it.

So this is kind of like watching only HDR content, but we still aren't running the panel at max luminance, and the headroom is still there, so as long as static elements aren't there, panel should be good for 4-5 years at least even with extensive usage. Even though the OLED light is at 90 with peak luminance at high, because the super high gamma, the overall picture level has been reduced.
I went into Expert mode and changed the gamma to 3. My OLED and contrast are 80 and 90 (reverse of urs!). I have Dyanamic contrast set at High and most of AI things turned on except OLED MOTION.

Rest ur settings mostly went over my head!! . I initially went to Rtings and then used their calibrations and then tweaked a bit according to my Preference.

I went into Expert mode and changed the gamma to 3. My OLED and contrast are 80 and 90 (reverse of urs!). I have Dyanamic contrast set at High and most of AI things turned on except OLED MOTION.

Rest ur settings mostly went over my head!! . I initially went to Rtings and then used their calibrations and then tweaked a bit according to my Preference.

Errr...you can't change gamma to 3 in gamma settings. Only 1.9, 2.2, 2.4 or BT. 1886 which is essentially 2.4 on OLEDs.

Anyway, I can just tell you values I have put for each value in 22 IRE so you can try it out.

Errr...you can't change gamma to 3 in gamma settings. Only 1.9, 2.2, 2.4 or BT. 1886 which is essentially 2.4 on OLEDs.

Anyway, I can just tell you values I have put for each value in 22 IRE so you can try it out.
Oh sorry yes..its 2.4. Its the sharpness that's at 3

Btw

Btw I have heard that due to panel variance, one's setting might not work similar to other TV. Is it true?

Btw

Btw I have heard that due to panel variance, one's setting might not work similar to other TV. Is it true?

Yeah, but this is not exactly similar to Brightness or Contrast setting. The target values are basically telling where each value needs to be. If you'll head inside white balance, switch method to 22 points IRE, you'll see Target Luminance and Adjusting Luminance. If we match the settings, the TV's software will do exactly the same thing on both sets, but other settings will still continue to be the difference, unless matched not in values, but how the panel responds, which is what calibration does.

Yeah, but this is not exactly similar to Brightness or Contrast setting. The target values are basically telling where each value needs to be. If you'll head inside white balance, switch method to 22 points IRE, you'll see Target Luminance and Adjusting Luminance. If we match the settings, the TV's software will do exactly the same thing on both sets, but other settings will still continue to be the difference, unless matched not in values, but how the panel responds, which is what calibration does.
Thats great !! Then share your settings..I have bit time now in lockdown :D

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back