Listening impressions to bhagwan's set up - part II [July, 2014]

Just out of curiosity how would you rate the Chord Red Ref 3 in comparison to dCS Puccini or a Burmester 102.

Just out of curiosity how would you rate the Chord Red Ref 3 in comparison to dCS Puccini or a Burmester 102.
Super Question;
I have heard all 3 - all be it in different set ups - actually the Chord in Ref CD II [not heard the 3]
But, the dCS Puccini with its dedicated clock was a good CD / SACD Machine.
Stopped now.
The Burmester is not in the same league - not the 102 at least.
https://www.burmester.de/en/home-audio/reference-line/069-cd-player.html
This machine is on the top list of the best CD Players ever made.
That said, I would rate the 3 machines :-
Chord
dCS
Burmester
As of current production & digital playback.

Great answer I should have included the 089 instead. Another good option is the Loit Passeri but then I believe that will be too much tube in the system.

Currently listening to Pandit Jasraj - Malhar - A downpour of music.

I was just listening to this Sarangi piece by Pandit Ram Narayan in Raag Darbari, when I read your comment.

It has been a while since I listened to good Hindustani instrumental, and I was taken aback at the sheer beauty of this piece. Thought I would share.

(Apologies for going off-topic)

Great answer I should have included the 089 instead. Another good option is the Loit Passeri but then I believe that will be too much tube in the system.
Sir,
I am impressed;
Super Impressed.
That is THE BEST 1 box CD Player in the world !
Have you heard it ?
It is my dream.
But the 2 box version [with Computer Connectivity] is currently @ US $'s 42/- K List [Singapore]
& I have decided to buy 2nd level products. No more 1st rung for me.
Conscious decision. Hence this machine is not in my list....No dCS Rossinni too. Too Expensive for my blood.
None the less, I would like to get to know you - if that OK with you - I will pm you & do reply if you wish to get in touch - there is a lot I can learn from you. Cheers !

I was just listening to this Sarangi piece by Pandit Ram Narayan in Raag Darbari, when I read your comment.

It has been a while since I listened to good Hindustani instrumental, and I was taken aback at the sheer beauty of this piece. Thought I would share.

(Apologies for going off-topic)

None Needed;
Music is always 1st.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ram_Narayan
Interesting you posted.
I love 'late' Sultan Khan [loved] & heard him and met him on several occasions.
I love this instrument - but it was never given its correct respect in the world of Hindustani Classical.
Most 'good' Sarangi Players were 'muslim' I wonder why ?
Sabir Khan
Sabri Khan
Abdul Latif Khan
Moinuddin Khan
But a great instrument - closest to human voice & always a pleasure to listen to it...

Sir,
I am impressed;
Super Impressed.
That is THE BEST 1 box CD Player in the world !
Have you heard it ?
It is my dream.
But the 2 box version [with Computer Connectivity] is currently @ US $'s 42/- K List [Singapore]
& I have decided to buy 2nd level products. No more 1st rung for me.
Conscious decision. Hence this machine is not in my list....No dCS Rossinni too. Too Expensive for my blood.
None the less, I would like to get to know you - if that OK with you - I will pm you & do reply if you wish to get in touch - there is a lot I can learn from you. Cheers !

Firstly you are very humble. secondly its the other way around we are all learning from you let alone a noob like me. Ofcourse ill love to be on your preferred list.... will wait for the PM.

Hi Bhagwan, I have gone through this thread, interesting your setup. I'm also crazy with hiend audio since 30 years, I have posted my room setup following: http://www.hifivision.com/introductions/63058-my-audio-room-2.html has been changed set at present. I had problem in my room with high reverberation issues (room size 15'X12'X9') and was resolved week ago you can find details in: http://www.hifivision.com/av-enhanc...p-needed-room-acoustics-diy-ready-use-12.html. I love to hear your system, I will frequently travel Mumbai (my company Gmmco have branch) My home town is Cuddalore (next to Pondicherry) also welcome my home for listen my system. Rajkumar
Music System 1: Speaker TANNOY GRF MEMORY-HE, X845B Tube Mono Block power Amplifier, Tube Preamp Conrad-Johnson Premier 17ls, CEC-TL1 CD Transport, Esoteric P30 CD Transport & Esoteric D30 DAC, Marantaz CD7, TANNOY ST200 Super Tweeter, Turntable Kenwood L-07D, Phono box Consonance Reference, Sub Tone Arm Fidelity Research FT64, Cartridge Benz Micro Glider. Speaker Cable Kimberkable Monocle XL, Interconnect cable AQ sky,
Music System 2: Tannoy Autograph Mini, Thorens TTP2000 Mono Power Amp, TCD2000 CD Player, TMA2000 Preamp
Theatre System: Panasonic 3D Plasma 65in, Speaker JAMO D590, Jamo E8 Subwoofer, Centre & Surround, Receiver DENON 3805, DVD DENON 3930, Sony Blue-Ray S485, Speaker cable AQ CV8.

Hi Bhagwan,
I love to hear your system, I will frequently travel Mumbai
Rajkumar

Mr. Rajkumar - Sir,
My doors are 'open'
Unfortunately I have sold my CDT & DAC & the system is currently not operational.
None the less, if & when you do visit - please do let me know.
You shall be most welcome.
I do hope to get off the block - stand by - next week.

La Kozy [Mumbai] & Modi Digital were kind ad gracious to get me to use / try a Merging Technology NADAC @ home.
It got installed today.
I shall do some extensive listening & post results - soon.
Profuse thanks to the 2 companies & their staff for all the help & support that they extended to me. Truly appreciated.
This is a DAC made in Switzerland.
Super Build Quality & it is an 'ethernet' based dac.

Purchased & Received a 'NEW' Digital Front end.
Aqua Hi Fi
Transport & DAC
Transport = La Diva
DAC = Formula
Formula Optologic D/A Converter | Aqua Hi-Fi Acoustic Quality Equipment
Details of the products are here - in the above link.

I very much like the philosophy of the products. R2R ladder with no digital filtering paired with a heavily modified CD Pro2m.

They seem to have gone over the top to isolate the analog stage from digital hash too. Also appears to have a proprietary I2S interface between the CD transport and DAC. I am sure it will sound heavenly :clapping:.

Congrats. You need very clean clear & isolated mains with these and I'm sure you have them.

100 % Correct.
I used to use a lot of things in the past - UIT [Ultra Isolation Transformer]
Power re Gens etc. etc.

All did not work for me.

What I have & am 100 % satisfied with it as under :-

Separate BEST [power supply company] Meter - Only for Audio.
No other home device is on that meter.

Cable is 10 sq. mm. Finolex.
100 % Shielded in Lead Braid from BEST Meter room to the Flat.

ELCB [Le Grand 63A] & straight to wall sockets.

From there - 3 different boxes
a]
Computer
b]
CD Transport / DAC / Pre
c]
Power Amplifiers

This is how the power gets to all the components in my music place.

100 % Correct.
I used to use a lot of things in the past - UIT [Ultra Isolation Transformer]
Power re Gens etc. etc.

All did not work for me.

What I have & am 100 % satisfied with it as under :-

Separate BEST [power supply company] Meter - Only for Audio.
No other home device is on that meter.

Cable is 10 sq. mm. Finolex.
100 % Shielded in Lead Braid from BEST Meter room to the Flat.

ELCB [Le Grand 63A] & straight to wall sockets.

From there - 3 different boxes
a]
Computer
b]
CD Transport / DAC / Pre
c]
Power Amplifiers

This is how the power gets to all the components in my music place.

Superb. Now I'm sure I've done it correct too! That lead braiding part is outstanding. Wow. Where did you source it from. Superb.

I have done something in those lines. Separate Meter to mains with 6sqmm Lapp Kabel, Hagar ELCB,JMV earthing kit and surge suppressor, sockets from Hagar and Walther.

Now only problem is my entire system costs less than your DAC & Transport. :annoyed:

Last edited:
One more thing.... my digital sources source their power from a different meter altogether while the amp & pre amplifier sources their power from the new meter. One thing to mention here is a lot of input, explanation and advise ( even sending JMV equipoment from Mumbai to Kolkata !!!) from our forum member Prem has helped a lot in achieving this whole electrical thing. Im very thankful to him.

Last edited:
3 New Power Cords - Just received.
Shall install them - Soon.
Bertram Audio - Denmark
Ultima Flow is the Series.
US Plugs.
This will go into an Acoustic Revive RTP - 4
Power Distribution Block

I had the chance to listen to Bhagwan's setup few weeks back while visiting Mumbai. Due to my travel schedule, the only overlap in free time we had was relatively early in the morning and Bhagwan was gracious enough to host me then. I had carried my own music which I played for the majority of the listening session. Bhagwan also played few of his recordings.

The first thing that strikes you is the listening space. Its smaller than the pictures here suggest and the listening position is quite close to the speakers. The equipment was a bit cluttered in the limited place. The amps looked very impressive with the glowing tube and looked like pieces of art. The AARCs looked very petty, their fit and finish was elegant and oozed high end. However, they looked imposing for the small space and my initial gut feeling was that the sound from them would overwhelm the place. However, once the music started, I was very happy to be proven wrong. The bass was very controlled and deep and did not overwhelm either the place or other frequencies. In fact, the bass was so deep and impressive that I was forced to clarify with Bhagwan if the subwoofer was in action. The mids were quite resolved and the highs were detailed without being bright. Overall, the integration across all the frequencies bands was well balanced without any one dominating or standing out from the rest. The soundstage was a bit small but clutter free with a sharp phantom centre image. However, the imaging would suffer if your head was out of place. The stage height was excellent. For one of Bhagwan's japanese jazz recordings, I could hear sounds coming from the edge of the wall where it met the ceiling. One of the songs I had bought was The Patient by Tool which I use to test the dyamics. The songs starts slow and grows louder gradually until the distorted guitars come in at its loudest. I have had three sets of speakers in my audiophile journey and each has rendered this song in three different ways. Bhagwan's setup played the song with flying colours and was the best rendition of the lot.

After playing a few other tracks, I requested Bhagwan to setup the TADs, his older set of bookshelf speakers. He pulled in the heavy book stands and placed them next to the AARCs on the inside and placed the TADs on them. He warned me that the speakers may not sound at their best as the placement was not optimal. However, the TADs were singing well even in its sub optimal placement. I daresay, I preferred them over the AARCs. It did not have the bottom end of AARCs but the mids and high were in a different league. The word smooth is the first thing that comes to my mind recollecting them. The bass was on lighter side but tuneful and I still enjoyed them a lot. The soundtage was smaller as the speakers had even less distance between them but was again clutter free and impressive. We had to rush with the TADs as it was a working day for Bhagwan.

All in all time well spent. Both were very well balanced setup where nothing stood out and nothing outshined anything else. What I learnt is this is a good thing.

Thanks to Bhagwan for hosting me.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back