Listening impressions to bhagwan's set up - part II [July, 2014]

most members havent heard Bhagwans rig and thats OK.

The question was rather simple ;-

a. For a small room - is it necessary to spend so much on the hardware to achieve the desired goal ie satisfaction of listening to good music and healing of the human mind thru music

Unless thats not the objective at all.. my question is wrong

and you keep enjoying the music and the christmas season :)

regards

Sir,

Money is Relative.

Among my Audio 'circle' this is a 'modest' audio set up.

Wilson Audio Alexia / 2 people have it.
Wilson Audio Alexandria II
Marten Design Coltrane II
Kaiser Kaweru II
Kaiser Kaweru III
PMC BB5se
dCS Vivaldi
Stahl Tek
EMM Labs

I could go on & on - it serves no purpose.
My Gear is 'really modest'
Entry Level CEC Transport [Lowest]
Entry Level Meitner DAC [Lowest]
DIY Computer
Chinese Pre
Chinese Power
Only my Speakers are a 'slightly' higher range 'variety' !

I have not spent 'crazy' money on my audio set up.
However for me - music is important & how I listen to it is even more important.

This is MY REPRESENTATION & the WAY I LIKE IT !

Expensive or Cheap - How does it matter ?
Just listen to the Music & gauge for ones own self what one finds !

Sir,

Money is Relative.

I have not spent 'crazy' money on my audio set up.
However for me - music is important & how I listen to it is even more important.

This is MY REPRESENTATION & the WAY I LIKE IT !

Expensive or Cheap - How does it matter ?
Just listen to the Music & gauge for ones own self what one finds !

oh absolutely..

I was alluding to the shifting sand dunes - when the reviewers reviewed each of your systems avatars in the preceding years.

After reading each review - the reader feels - it cannot get better than this :yahoo: ..... until the next speaker or amplifier comes along to your stables :lol:

So i was trying to find out a common baseline..

lets say if your system was rated 3 about 10 years ago and if it is rated 9.. in end 2016....

but reviewers definitions hasnt changed subjectively at all.

The room remains the same, the electronics or speakers change and each time the same waaah waaahs are seen..

I put certain objective questions and i see no answers but all i see as a reply is - its my money..its my system ....i like it ( BTW my friends have more exotic rigs than i do ) ... the guests like it... end of story..:sad:

I apologize for any hurt my questions may have caused but thats not the intention at all.

Merry christmas !

Note : Perhaps my observations could be true in many other cases where subjectivity is not backed up by a parameter rating.
Note 2 : Am sure your rig is sounding good and there is no reason not to disbelieve it.

mpw

oh absolutely..

I like it ( BTW my friends have more exotic rigs than i do ) ... the guests like it... end of story..:sad:

mpw

I live by only 1 parameter;
If I like it - the Gear Stays.
If I do not like it - no matter what any one else says - it does not stay in my house.

So if the friends / visitors like it - good - if they don't still good. Their opinions do not make me change my decisions.

I listen & decide for myself what I like & what stays.

My only en devour here to have FM's & Audiophiles experience different systems - mine or others & form an opinion.
That is important.

oh absolutely..

Note 2 : Am sure your rig is sounding good and there is no reason not to disbelieve it.

mpw

Respected Sir,
The set up in my house may sound crap to many people - That is 100 % OK with me.
I only want people to form an opinion after they have heard it.
That is all.
If it is good or if it is bad - how does it matter - the only person that will listen to it is me & no one else.
Every other person will hear it 1 time or 2 times - rarely more.
So how does it matter - I just want people to see & lesten & try to get inspired with the fact that a difficult room too can yield a 'good result' [at least that is the way I see it] !!
p.s. You have never heard it [my rig] so how would you know if it sounds good or not so good or bad ?? Come & Listen & then form an opinion - either way is OK - does not matter - only your idea of judging a system will change [for the better] I feel !
I repeat - most welcome..

p.s.s. I shall answer all your questions - to the best of my abilities - what ever I know & I can - I promise - at home..

If I do not like it - no matter what any one else says - it does not stay in my house.

agreed sir..

if there was some special feature as to why you thought the new speaker will fit smoothly into your limited ( respectfully ) listening space - you may describe.....

that will be very valuable knowledge for the reader who wants to select a speaker tomorrow..

Many folks buy speakers and room size doesnt seem to be much of a consideration.

But in your case - a large floorstander has fit into a 150 sq ft space..

and hence these questions..

anyways..

agreed sir..

if there was some special feature as to why you thought the new speaker will fit smoothly into your limited ( respectfully ) listening space - you may describe.....

that will be very valuable knowledge for the reader who wants to select a speaker tomorrow..

Many folks buy speakers and room size doesnt seem to be much of a consideration.

But in your case - a large floorstander has fit into a 150 sq ft space..

and hence these questions..

anyways..

At the on set I said - I have broken every single audio rule.
My AARC should not fit & should not work in my room.
How it has managed - I too am bewildered.

A speaker of this size in a 150 sq. ft. room is 100 % NO NO.
I would never suggest or recommend it.

How this happened & How it works - I have no answers to provide to you - I apologise.
I am as lost as you or any other - cause this speaker should not work in my room.
However, it does & that too in such a manner that 20 years of my audio travels & listening to various systems globally & setting up so many 2 channel set ups globally - I have never sat down with such a level of gratitude & satisfaction - that said it [AARC] does not fit into my top 11 set ups that I have heard [ever in my life] !! Those remain a 'dream' for my next life !

Interesting discussions in progress here.

I have a theory why Bhagwan's room sounds good. I think it's because the room is not a regular rectangular room. The reflections somehow nullify each other so there's no problem of first reflection point smearing the mids and highs. The sound stage is crazily deep and wide (well beyond the speaker boundary). The shape of the room doesn't allow build up of bass energy either (within reasonable SPL levels), so despite a huge cabinet housing three woofers throwing out lots of bass energy there is no bass boom or lazy over hang. IMO, a very severe test of bass weight and reach is Kari Bremnes' A Lover In Berlin. If the bass on this bass heavy track nearly clips, the bass on most other tracks sounds just about right, and that's what I heard the other night when Rikhav and me had paid an unplanned visit to Bhagwan.

mpw, do go listen. Regarding quantifying our impressions, it's actually very difficult to objectively do it though it would most certainly be very convenient to have it.

I live by only 1 parameter;

So if the friends / visitors like it - good - if they don't still good. Their opinions do not make me change my decisions.

I listen & decide for myself what I like & what stays.

My only en devour here to have FM's & Audiophiles experience different systems - mine or others & form an opinion.
That is important.

Sir, I didn't ever have high end systems, but I can evaluate a good hifi sound. Will you allow the enthusiastic entry level listeners to hear in your system? I could see in your photos as that reveal that your set up is breakthrough one and that will render ideas for the people who have limited space, without missing any grammar of the hi-fidelity. Also I have been seeing your perspective and "look through" thoughts in your posts. Could you please explain about your DIY computer? Thanks.

Regards.
Sunder.

Pertinent Question.
The Gap between the Tweeter Centre & Lowest Woofer Centre is 'too much' for it to integrate & form a 'point' of music. Specially when a person is 'sitting' so close to the 2 speakers.
However, I personally love to stare @ the speakers when I am listening & NOTHING seems to be playing from them.
100 % Disappeared.
The Sound Stage is between 3 & 9 feet behind the speaker. It seems to be playing from the 'next house' !!
I know all of this sounds like BULL SHIT !! I would say the same - but it needs to be heard to be understood....
Ask the guys that have heard it - better still come [get your CD's] & experience it. I have no technically correct answer to offer to you.
It should not work & what is happening should not be happening - but IT IS Playing as I say & it is Shocking....

Bewildering :) But I guess one must experience this first hand. Will surely visit in 2017.

Sir,

I can evaluate a good hifi sound.

Will you allow the enthusiastic entry level listeners to hear in your system ?

Could you please explain about your DIY computer? Thanks.

Sunder.

Sunder,
100 %
You are MOST WELCOME !
My Doors are always open.
To you & to any one else.
We need to spread the 2 Channel flame.
Please do call me & come over.
On the Computer front.
I have a 2 computer set up - this has been changed to a 1 machine + music set up.
1 Computer has 11 HDD's & only stores my music. 80 % Wave & 20 % Flac;
This is an OLD Computer - i5 but old gen.
The MAIN machine is running with a LPS - Analogue Linear Power Supply.
HD Plex.
HDPLEX Fanless Linear Power Supply for PC Audio and CE device
This is what I use.
The Case is also passive cooled - no fan - only copper tubes etc.
HDPLEX H5 Fanless Computer Case - HDPLEX INC
here it is.
Software is Windows 2012
J River 19 & 21
J Play - I prefer.
More later.

Remember - doors are open.
Please do come for a listen.

Bewildering :) But I guess one must experience this first hand. Will surely visit in 2017.
As I said,
my doors are open.
Please, do visit.
Come for the Audio Show [St. Regis] & do a few home visits along with it.
March, I believe.
Most Welcome..
Listen & decide.
What ever you feel is always 100 % right..
Nothing I say or any one else says matters.
Audio is always about 'what floats your boat' & if what you listen to @ my
place or any other place - does not float your boat - so be it.
Be confident & express your views - I will always 'respect' you for it.
Just ensure that it is your view - based on your listening experience & NOT
one that is a 'c/c/p' from the Internet !
[c/c/p = cut copy paste]

Last edited:
Software is Windows 2012
J River 19 & 21
J Play - I prefer.

bhagwan,

Congratulations on the "new" setup!
I admire your courage to redo your entire rig on a periodic basis.

JRiver v22 is a huge improvement in sound quality over v19/21.
Do give it a shot. I was pleasantly surprised when i upgraded.

Regards.

bhagwan,

JRiver v22 is a huge improvement in sound quality over v19/21.
Do give it a shot. I was pleasantly surprised when i upgraded.

Regards.

Sir,
Thanks,
I will give it a shot.
The only issue I have - sounds silly - but is to get the playlist transferred.
Cause that is my life of work - going through music & putting songs I like into different playlist & if they don't come through - I get messed....
None the less, I will try.
Thanks for the 'pointer' I appreciate it.

Sunder,
100 %
You are MOST WELCOME !
My Doors are always open.
To you & to any one else.
We need to spread the 2 Channel flame.
Please do call me & come over.
On the Computer front.
I have a 2 computer set up - this has been changed to a 1 machine + music set up.
1 Computer has 11 HDD's & only stores my music. 80 % Wave & 20 % Flac;
This is an OLD Computer - i5 but old gen.
The MAIN machine is running with a LPS - Analogue Linear Power Supply.
HD Plex.
HDPLEX Fanless Linear Power Supply for PC Audio and CE device
This is what I use.
The Case is also passive cooled - no fan - only copper tubes etc.
HDPLEX H5 Fanless Computer Case - HDPLEX INC
here it is.
Software is Windows 2012
J River 19 & 21
J Play - I prefer.
More later.

Remember - doors are open.
Please do come for a listen.

Oh! Thank you sir, It's kind of you. I will do come to worship the Fidelity of Sound. You have absolute dedicative computer set up for music. I wish you to have this ecstacy ever.
Regards.

Thank you sir,
It's kind of you.
You have absolute dedicative computer set up for music.
Regards.
Sunder,
Lots of people have or use Computer as a Transport.
However, I have kept a CEC Transport in the chain.
That way, I can & all visiting persons can compare the playback from a
Silver Disc [CD] & compare it to a Computer - so we know there is no loss
in Resolution or Soul.
I feel this is very important.

Do call & fix up before you come.

Bhagwan sir,

I am humbled to even contribute something to this thread as my journey is quite minimalist.
It is not just about the room, the equipment and the efficiency or the inefficiency.
It is I think more about the seamless integration of the chain of components which I believe you have achieved over the 2-year build of your present setup. And most importantly the quality of the music files.
Guess that effort is shining through.
Are you still using your sub in the current setup?

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back