Listening impressions to bhagwan's set up - part II [July, 2014]

Had an opportunity to listen to bhagwans setup after almost 10 months
The cabling was changed and speaker position was fine tuned from last time I visited
This resulted in a big change in the overall sound of the setup from what I listened to last time
As posted earlier, the speakers just vanish (amazing fof the fact that the room is not huge and speakers are no way small )
The tonality of the instruments feels very real and bass is super controlled and tight
The imaging and soundstage depth and width at par with the tidal bookshelves which itself are very good in that department
The vocals have more presence then before and it's a treat to listen to a good vocalist
Overall the setup is performing very well and has all the traits of good synergy between all the components of the setup
Thanks for the session bhagwan. It was a small one but satisfying one

Pictures - I will try...

jh7hg1.jpg

28h24qd.jpg

o8ylas.jpg

del3dh.jpg

25sx8c2.jpg

New Feet that Sound Foundations made for me - very nice.

Nice setup sir... Can the feet be installed under wooden speaker stands as well?

Thank You.

Yes, the feet can be used under anything.
These are 100 % Brass.
Therefore they may not be 'cheap'
Set of 8 [top & bottom] were prices @ 32/- K

I am sure 'magma' will custom make all kinds & sizes - so long as he is compensated for his efforts. These are not his production pieces - I had them ordered & made to my specs.

Ouch, that is quite expensive...
Yes,
But they are PURE BRASS & rather 'massive' [weight & size]
Besides they were used below speakers that cost 38K Euro - so in a relative sense they are OK - for me at least.
2q8qdtc.jpg

The Electronics -
CEC Transport / DAC / Pre & Power Supply / Computer / Power Supply for Computer & the 2 Mono Amps on their respective Power Supplies.
24ozvjs.jpg

Cell Transducers - Accuton - Tweeter & 5" Mid & 8" Woofer [close up]

I think it would be good to have a view of the the setup along with the seating to have the complete picture of the

A view of the complete setup including the seating would be nice to give an idea of the relative size of the room and that large speakers can be accommodated in a small space with proper setting up. It amply illustrates the importance and impact of correctly setting up a system.

I think it would be good to have a view of the the setup along with the seating to have the complete picture of the

I would love to post.
However, the room is so small that I cannot capture it.
There is no place I can stand at from where the seat & the system fit in the same frame.

2uylx6s.jpg

This is the furthest in the room I can stand. There there is the main door behind me.

8wk1tx.jpg

A view of the complete setup including the seating would be nice to give an idea of the relative size of the room and that large speakers can be accommodated in a small space with proper setting up. It amply illustrates the importance and impact of correctly setting up a system.

Speaker to listener 'nose' is 62 inches
Tweeter to Tweeter [gap between the 2 speakers] 99 inches

Hope this helps.

But picture is difficult to take.

35mirgw.jpg

This is the 833s Power Amp [on its own power supply]
AM Hiend - China

62 inches is 1.5 meters..

This is akin to nearfield listening ... so is it necessary to have a very high end system for near field listening ?

Would not the ears and the brain be sufficiently stimulated by a nice 2 way standmount ( active ) ?

also it would be nice for the reviewer/s to give a rating to the system to something like this :-

musicality
soundstage
dynamism
scale

There are many reviews which come out with parameters like this..

I ask this as with every equipment change or cable change.. we tend to use adjectives so the reader who has not experienced the system is rather confused when the lyrics go from better to even better and betterest..

Also we need to know where each reviewer stands on the parameters so the reviewers themselves are aware of what they are trying to express.

some of the questions may be naive but worth asking all the same if we can learn something from it.

regards

With such a tall loudspeaker with so many drivers, at 1.5m, is there enough space between the ear and the speaker for forming a "coherent single fabric" of the music ?

B, being a master of setup, I am sure has some tricks up his sleeve to make this happen though :)

hmm

i dont know how many of the members above have actually heard the said system

but what MBJ achieves with nearfield ( though it is not really nearfield by most studio definitions - its more ...lets say.... mid field ; if that can be understood ) is absolutely brilliant because nearfield actually never proposes to achieve what MBJ achives in his home

Nearfield does take a lot of the room out BUT it also DOES NOT create any lateral placements or variations in the depth that is looked for in hifi stereo setups
As sq wave says the stitching of the fabric of music as a cohesive unit also is rarely achieved in nearfield

however
MBJ's setup DOES achieve that
and in that way his setup IS spectacular and in no way is it simply due to the fact that you are up close to the speakers
It is infact because of some really smart placement in his room and a lot of hard work

a nearfield seup normally either has a congested presentation or a presentation with obvious "holes" in the fabric
However these are not criteria in a mixing/ recording studio

a visit to a mastering studio on the contrary is different and hence the good ones are never nearfiled

This is akin to nearfield listening ... so is it necessary to have a very high end system for near field listening ?

regards

Sir,
I have the audio set up in a 1BHK Flat.
Space is rather tight.
I used to have a TAD in it - Stand Mount & it played really great.
I liked it a lot. First with Gryphon Audio Design Amplification & then with 845 Tubes through the Cadence Canasya.
Later that changed to made in PRC Amps - AM Hi End.
Basically, I was not sure & was very reluctant to put the AARC into the room.
The speaker is way too BIG for a under 150 sq. ft. room.
3 X 8 Inch Cell Woofers
1 X 5 Inch Cell Midrange
1 X 1.2 Inch Cell Tweeter
That said, I have no answer - nothing I can say that will thank the Allmighty for what he has helped me with.
This AARC 'SHOULD NOT' work in my room. I still don't know how it 'disappears' & throws a sound stage that is 6 feet outside the right speaker
& 8 feet outside the left speaker.... I am 'amazed' !
Therefore I am humbled & dont have much to say....
Just Thankful...

also it would be nice for the reviewer/s to give a rating to the system to something like this :-

musicality - So Subjective.
soundstage - I wrote about it.
dynamism - has to be 'experienced'
scale - I wrote about it.

regards

Respected Sir,

I am not very good with writing reviews - I prefer to 'listen'
It is best to 'experience' a set up & form ones own opinion.
Good / Bad / Ugly etc. what ever it is - will be the same & shall not change.
Just different people will form different opinions based on their preferences & that is 100 % ok with me.

My doors are open for you & for any other person - do come & listen & form an opinion of what you listen. I will be 100 % OK with any opinion any person forms. In fact that is what makes me happy - cause it is based on their own experience & that I love & want all FM's & Audiophiles to do.

some of the questions may be naive but worth asking all the same if we can learn something from it.

regards

Respected Sir,

Nothing you ask is 'naive'
All are 100 % Just & Intelligent Questions.
The Only limiting factor here is 'me'
I am not equipped to answer the questions in a 'correct' manner.
Therefore I do not want to write something that would be misleading.:sad:
I have a clear intent - only want people to widen their horizon is audio - listen & grow. Form an 'opinion' based on their own experience & not go by what someone writes.
Therefore I request you & others - travel / visit.
Not only my house - but the house of as many audiophiles as you can.
Good Set Ups / Average Set Ups etc.
They are interpretations of what they like & we need to try and understand it from their point of view.:licklips:
All the Best !
Keep Asking..
Keep Exploring..
All the Best !!

I agree Mahesh.... The room is automatically eliminated in this equation so that can explain why the system sounds superb....

Dear Panditji,
Sir,
I am not so sure if I may concur with your statement.
How & Why is the 'room' eliminated ?
The room is really small. Under 150 sq. ft.
The speaker is 'slightly large'
123x27x52cm (HxWxD) - 55 KGs
The Rear Vent is less than 25mm from the wall & the Plinth [black] touches the wall.
Technically speaking this set up should not be in a position to play average - let along play well.......
The Listener sits with his back & head in line with the rear wall. Technically there should be a 'massive' bass overload in that position.....
I could go on and on - but it will serve no purpose.
I just say & say it again [sorry for being repetitive] just listen to it. Then form an opinion. There is just too much of divine intervention & just cannot explain it...:licklips:

most members havent heard Bhagwans rig and thats OK.

The question was rather simple ;-

a. For a small room - is it necessary to spend so much on the hardware to achieve the desired goal ie satisfaction of listening to good music and healing of the human mind thru music

Unless thats not the objective at all.. my question is wrong

b. Bhagwan - before you bought the AARC speaker - did you audition it ? If so - it may have been in a larger room.

What made you buy this speaker as a replacement to the already well revered Tidals ?

c. Were you confident it will work in your room before you placed the firm order for the speakers ?

The cost of the speaker and electronic stuff is mentioned elsewhere on this thread.

d. Placement - in a small Mumbai room - for the rig to show its tricks.. the placement would need to be millimeter perfect and any change would " distort the fabric" i assume. So why not choose speakers that are more placement friendly ?

e. For a small room - its always mentioned to look at active speakers strongly. Did you look at any ? and why did you not go for them ? That way the $$$ of the equipment would be friendlier as well..

f. They say another speaker in the same room creates some reverb - did you try moving the Tidals completely out of your listening space ?

Ofcourse - if the user is satisfied then its all good but from the point of view of a reader it gets a bit confusing without any rating to the various parameters ( in the opinion of those who have heard the system over the years and commented glowingly on it ) and how they have improved over the years at Bhagwans place..

With your varied and vast experience, some answers will help shine light into the decision making process that goes on inside a vastly experienced audio brain.

and you keep enjoying the music and the christmas season :)

regards

Last edited by a moderator:
With such a tall loudspeaker with so many drivers, at 1.5m, is there enough space between the ear and the speaker for forming a "coherent single fabric" of the music ?

Pertinent Question.
The Gap between the Tweeter Centre & Lowest Woofer Centre is 'too much' for it to integrate & form a 'point' of music. Specially when a person is 'sitting' so close to the 2 speakers.
However, I personally love to stare @ the speakers when I am listening & NOTHING seems to be playing from them.
100 % Disappeared.
The Sound Stage is between 3 & 9 feet behind the speaker. It seems to be playing from the 'next house' !!
I know all of this sounds like BULL SHIT !! I would say the same - but it needs to be heard to be understood....
Ask the guys that have heard it - better still come [get your CD's] & experience it. I have no technically correct answer to offer to you.
It should not work & what is happening should not be happening - but IT IS Playing as I say & it is Shocking....

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back