Listening impressions to bhagwan's set up - part II [July, 2014]

Awesome new Bhagwan. Glad to know that the silent PC thing is finally working out for you!

Sir,
It is all because of you;
I am eternally grateful.
You have played a very important part in all this.
I thank you - profusely. A true master.

Hi bhagwan
So essentially its a 3 PC setup

If you don't mind can you let us know what NAS are you using and do you use any special pcie to USB card or use USB ports of the motherboard and use a USB regenerator?

Thanks

PS just read your post again and it's clearly written by you that you now use a jcat USB card. Reading on a mobile is tricky :)
Did you try powering the USB with 5 volt? Can try a normal battery bank for experimenting

Sir,
This is a 1 PC Playback.
I have stopped the 'hibernate' part. [This was in 2 PC mode]
I wanted to do 'streaming' but the damn ipad gets a little 'messed' trying to map 16 + 3 = 19 TB of Data. From 2nd PC & NAS;
Therefore, I play off the 1 new pc in J Play Mini & also can use J River if the need be.
The NAS is a 3TB Synology.
Essentially it is a 'back up' of music.
The J Cat USB Card is installed but not operational. I have posted the link above.
The J Cat Dual USB cable is on loan to a friend of mine. Will use it upon its return.

Hi bhagwan
Did you try powering the USB with 5 volt? Can try a normal battery bank for experimenting

Sir,
The Entire PC is powered by a LPS.
Even the USB Card has a seperate 5V DC supply from the LPS.
Nothing in the house runs on SMPS.
All the Routers / Switches etc are connected to the LPS.
Sorry, I forgot to address this point in my earlier post.
p.s. Do come over for a listen when you this side of town.:)

Hi bhagwan
Did you try jplay as streamer in association with minimserver? That way you can control jplay by any dlna control app
What you can do is that precache the artworks. That way it won't slow things down while browsing music

Chances are you would have already tried this method

I hesitate to write since it is difficult for a novice like me to try and write about any system let alone one of the level of Bhagwan's.
As I entered Bhagwan's home, a Western classical CD was playing on the CEC player. The instruments had spot on placement.
But what hits you even before you have a chance to savour the music is the sheer size of the speakers. You can't help but wonder how these can play in such a small space. But play they did!

We shifted to the PC and played some vocals. The voices of, first, Natalie Merchant and later, Hans Theesink filled the room beautifully. The voices were absolutely natural. Some of the bass drone that Bhagwan has mentioned earlier was heard once or twice on Hans Theesink's bass heavy tracks.

It was Indian classical next. Gundecha brothers (Dhrupad), Kaushiki Chakrabarty (vocal), Rashid Khan (vocal) and Bhawani Shankar (Phakawaj) all sounded so wonderful and natural.
I must mention a particular album on ECM label. "The Rain" by Ghazal, Kayhan Kalhor and Shujaat Hussain Khan. Incredible music.

A hugely enjoyable evening spent with a very knowledgeable person.
Thanks very much, Bhagwan.

Sir,
It is all because of you;
I am eternally grateful.
You have played a very important part in all this.
I thank you - profusely. A true master.

Bhagwan the pleasure is all mine. I'm glad that my computing knowledge helped you enjoy music better. If I'm in Mumbai, I'll definitely land up at your place for a listen - invited or uninvited :lol:.

Hey 'Bhaggu', (with apologies to our respected Member of Parliament)
We all love you ...we really do...

Thanks for sharing this absolutely mad set up. Even if I had the money, I am not sure I would have the 'gumption' to go this far. :clapping:

Two personal lessons learnt from this thread and set up. One, Small spaces should not constrain our audiophile ambitions, most of us have limited space available in domestic settings; second, stop looking askance on Chinese kit. I remember as a little boy, when Polson not Amul was king, people talking with similar disdain about Japanese gear.

Wonder what Bruckner on your set up would be like:licklips:

BTW - I installed a 'el cheapo' Digital Toshlink Optical Cable between the CD 5 [CEC] & the Meitner [MA 1] - got it from Lamington Road - Spectra - Some Taiwan Brand. Good. Maybe 'better' than the Oyaide S/P DIF Digital [RCA] Cable that was in use. Just posting since a 'small' change was made.

Currently on the look out for a 'suspension' system for the CEC - Any Suggestions ? Shall be appreciated.

Well, I used to be a 100 % CD person.
Always had 2 + CD Players in my rig at any point in time.
Have been through 10 ++ CD Players that cost 10/- K USD's ++
However, 5 years back when computer audio equaled or improved on my cd players I switched.
Never looked back.
However, several audiophile friends of mine are still on the CD band wagon.
They keep singing the praise of CD Players.
Well actually, the computer is not reliable. One day it decides just not to work. Therefore I got this as a 'stand by' so I am not left without music.
Besides, Western Classical to find on a computer is very difficult. Spinning the CD is easy.
Currently my computer is not working for the past 40 ++ days = therefore the CD Player is being put through its paces. Fun of sorts if you ask me.

Hello bhagwan, would you please list here some cd titles (Redbook, SACD, XRCD) of Western Classical and Hindustani Classical both in Vocal & Instrumental, which you blissfully listened in your existing Ultimate system of CDP - Meitner DAC - Tube Pre-Power - and TAD speakers set-up? Curiously I want to know, since you painstakingly did the set-up for months together. I wish you this passion ever grow. Thank you.

Since Bhagwan has not posted, let me jump in and post what I heard at his place yesterday.

Firstly, when I arrived, a common friend was fine tuning the system for placement and cables. I tell you, he is a master of the game. Even through the evening, small changes and differences were huge.May the qi be with him!

We listened to Dvorak - Suk Trio - Dumky (Denon), Tchaikovsky Symphony 1 - Litton Bournemouth (Virgin Classics), Rachmaninoff 1 (Wild, Horenstein, Chandos), Cool Jazz (an amazing compilation vols I and II, with an outstanding Art Farmer's Five Spot After Dark; also Lee Morgan, Art Pepper, Chet Baker, Ike Quebec, Jim Hall etc.) and the famous Shujaat CD of his.

Outstanding resolution. We could listen "into" the music with zero fatigue for what, 3 hours?

Well done sir!

Thanks VR for your visit.
It is always a pleasure to meet you - specially @ home.
You are a 'bank' of knowledge as far as music is concerned.
I always learn so much from you.
You are always welcome home...
The set up was changed - you guys were 'happy' but I have certain issues with it.
Will work on it further - hopefully if shall do what puts a smile on my face.
Too many changes done - cannot put a finger on what change resulted in what sound difference.:eek:

Hi bhagwan
Had a pleasure of listening to your setup few days..sorry for being late with my views
Well as always the music plays to a certain level where one is baffled and its hard to believe such huge speakers are playing in a small place and just disappaer
Music comes from the most farthest corner of the room
We played a variety of music from vocals, jazz,Western and Indian classical
I am not good as others with my words but the piano was as good as it gets. The tone and decay was so good
Ditto with Indian classical
Only issue where I felt it was not to my liking was vocals. Don't get me wrong , it was way above with musicality but I prefer the sound of tidals in the way highs are delivered
I am sure it is matter of tweaking or minor setup issue
Last time it was the rapid and this time the triumph
Thank you again for giving me a ride on it. I will tell you the truth that in between of the ride I felt I did a misyake. Maybe I have become too old for it. I could not even keep my eyes open

I had decided to give the TAD another run.
With that in mind, the TAD was 're-installed' @ home.
The Sub Woofer Position too has been changed.
This time around, the Speaker Cable in use is not the SilenCable of the Acrolink, but the Bertram & the speaker was 'tuned' as per Mr. Jilla's 'preferences' & I will keep them there for a bit.
I too want to listen to the TAD & see what I think & like.
Any person interested in a listen is most welcome home. Just message me & fix up before you decide to come. Thanks.
:)

I had the 'privilege' of hearing TADs last week when I was in Mumbai. I happened to carry some music during this visit.

Though I am not very good in describing the experience, as many others here, but it was truly 'phenomenal / spectacular'

The TADs were so nicely and unbelievably setup in such a small space, with the distance to the listener shorter than the distance between speakers - nevertheless they 'came alive and performed exceedingly well' and 'completely disappeared'. The imaging was superb with very good tonality and lots of details shown to the listener!

However, we noted that they were a 'bit' bass shy and we 'had to' engage the SW to fully enjoy certain tracks.

Many thanks to Bhagwan sir for hosting me over and it was indeed a well cherished moment of listening to a hi-end system.:signthankspin:

Many thanks to Bhagwan for hosting me over and it was indeed a well cherished moment of listening to a hi-end system.:signthankspin:
Most Welcome.
My doors are open for you - maybe next time I will have the AARC set up & you may experience that too - with the 'last bass' in place.
Thanks for your time & your visit. It is appreciated by me.:clapping:

December, 2016

The TAD's have been 'moved'
They are in the 'room' but on the side and not connected.
I have replaced them with AARC - Artos Audio Rainbow Cell - India Apple Tree Veneer - Hi Gloss Piano Finish.

The Speaker Cables are from Acrolink S-8000 [New]
Bertram Audio Speaker Cable is not being used this time around.

The AARC has been installed on 'new feet' that Magma made for me.
All be it a 'bit late' but a 'super job' done by him. I am happy & satisfied with his performance.
The Feet are EXCELLENT !!

The AARC in my house on the AM Hiend SET Amp [Made in PRC] and Meitner MA-1 DAC & CEC Transport sounds really nice.
I am personally most happy & satisfied with its performance.

I shall try and post pictures. Soon.

18 Dec 16

An amazing Sunday morning......started from the doorstep with a track I really love, Billy Joel's - Innocent man, I just had to hear it from the start again......and so began the journey, the next three hours we heard music from various genres and what I heard was simply amazing!

For those who have not been to his pad, the room is small, almost triangular, no sound treatment (totally functional), a listening sweet spot within touching distance from the big speakers.

The magical part; The speakers simply disappeared, yes totally!(hearing is believing :D)

A large sound stage with depth and accurate imaging, a warmth in the vocals which i really liked, super tonality and a controlled bass.

....the set-up did justice to all genres which is commendable, three hours passed by with ease and no fatigue. :clapping:

When I asked him how it was possible......he smiled and said it will get better the next time I visit and he is not changing the set-up! Cant wait!!

Thanks Bhagwan for being a wonderful host... CHEERS!!

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back