Local Indian components Vs Imported components - My shocking Discovery

Thanks drlowmu for details. Will be helpful in future.
Haribhai thats nice pot. I may be mistaken but why is ground wire not twisted with signal wire ?

Another alternative is Pankaj Potentiometers which is a very old company supplying to Indian Army is what I have read in the past. But I dont think they entertain custom small qty. wo

Do you get a dual gang potel pot ? I have only seen singles.

Ctr caps i use too and they are good.

Why should local products not be as good as others ? One just needs to find them.

All Nichicon caps bulging at the same time. Were they being used with the correct voltages ? Yes, keltron caps work for me too in a power supply though I know people pooh pooh them. I also used to use another Indian capacitor brand called Websen. They were made in collaboration with Rubicon. But they are no longer produced. So often for prototyping it's either keltron or samsung.

For power transformers, never had any luck with delta. They just wont answer emails. But I source torroids from Torotrans in pune and they are very good. For EI its Argo transformers in mumbai.
Is Argo still in business? They made a couple of transformers for me a decade back, very friendly and professional.

Regarding capacitors most dealers nowadays give junzl capacitors as first or only choice. Anyone have any experience with these?

Is Argo still in business? They made a couple of transformers for me a decade back, very friendly and professional.

Regarding capacitors most dealers nowadays give junzl capacitors as first or only choice. Anyone have any experience with these?
Argo was in business opposite minerva theater with their workshop in lower parel. Not too sure what happened during covid.

Actually i get the dec or non branded ones on first ask.

There is another brand filcon. Thats decent too for film caps.

Junzi, never heard of them.

Last edited by a moderator:
All Nichicon caps bulging at the same time. Were they being used with the correct voltages ?
Its a regulated power supply. So over voltage does not apply
Hari,

That 34 AWG wire is not meant for inside an Attenuator. It is used in place of a resistor, to a tweeter. The Magnanin wire will lose dynamics.......... in the locations you have used it !!

Be advised, your 34 AWG Attenuator's wire runs alone, will screw up subjective judgements you are now trying to make on parts, elsewhere in your audio system.

The proper wire Hari is something like Cardas Silver polished 19 AWG bare solid core , from Cardas, or Michael Percy in the USA. 18 AWG pure silver is also OK, AWG-wise. ................. Not 34 AWG "resistance" wire.

As posted earlier on this page, the parts and execution of an Attenuator is critical, due to the nature of the signals involved.

Done well, it can possibly ( and probably ) be "the" highest fidelity approach possible, or certainly in my mind, easily within the top 5% of what is available. We are not privy to hearing / comparing everything available in this world !!

Jeff
I don't fully agree on the cardas silver wire Jeff. I was using a solid silver wire with Rodhium plating 19 awg and I replaced that with the magnanin wire. The thinner wire is more open and less constrained. The magnanin wire has a very minor resistance of around 0.2 ohms which is ok and does not cause any voltage drop. They actually help to reduce noise further. I am using the silver wire only now for grounding purpose and not in signal path. The magnanin wires help in reducing sibilance and are less sweeter. Only using silver made them more airy not to my liking.

Last edited by a moderator:
Someone should send Jeff the Indian components to see how he reacts after using them. Who knows, maybe we can start a global demand for Indian electronic components.

Someone should send Jeff the Indian components to see how he reacts after using them. Who knows, maybe we can start a global demand for Indian electronic components.
I have already sent him Shilchar transformers and Intron thin film resistors. He was inquiring about Raatronics WW and Potel potentiometer but nothing beyond that.

In my Allo stepped attenuator there were instance of resistors (5 of them) getting open circuit. Also switching volume were noisy and had clicking noise which led me to replace them. I was ok with the SQ but can't match the Wirewound Potentiometer.

I was expecting this reply sooner or later. I cannot say about Nichicon as I never used them after my disastrous usage in my phono preamplifier. But about Vishay Roderstien even my mentor (Jeff) don't have high regards. He warned me for not using Vishay DC- Link capacitor anywhere in my amplifier due to its poor sonic quality. He suggested me to use WIMA DC-Link capacitors. About Vishay resistors, they are absolute crap and very harsh and have high distortion. I have used the half watt brown so- called military grade resistors in my phono preamplifier too and was not happy. Again you need lots of listening experience to identify a good and bad resistor by listening which I have developed over past 10+ years. For a novice you won't even notice any difference. Even between Mills and Raatronics only if you do A/B critical listening you can easily notice the difference - else not.

Source - mouser.com for Vishay
For Nichicon theaudiocrafts.com who source from mouser.com can't find a more reputed source
Which resistors do you recommend ?

Which resistors do you recommend ?
I have used Raatronics WW resistor and found them better than Mills in my tube amplifier. I have used Intron thin film resistors and found them to be better than Roderstien MRA-3 as input resistance and driver cathode resistors. Each resistance is either good or bad depending upon intended usage and associated circuit. YMMV.

Last edited:
Is there any reputable / reliable online sources for these Intron thin film resistors (for resistor ladder volume controller) and Keltron capacitors.
Keltron capacitors i have seen i think locally with orange color ones, but not sure if they are original..

Is there any reputable / reliable online sources for these Intron thin film resistors (for resistor ladder volume controller) and Keltron capacitors.
Keltron capacitors i have seen i think locally with orange color ones, but not sure if they are original..
Contact Intron directly. They sell even a single piece of thin film resistors. No dealers involved.

When possible, we try to avoid twisting ground and hot signal wires
In valve radio days, Philips was the leader and instilled fear among local service technicians who often tried to untwist seemingly innocuous wires "holding a bunch of wires" with loose end and lost all HF tuning. They thought locating the connections was easy and were doomed. My late father at AIR, briefed them about these wires used as small capacitors. Surprisingly Telefunken, Murphy, Nelco, Bush never used these and were easy to repair.

Philips continued these in Transistors too, where a thick tinned wire was soldered and a naked copper wire was wound around like a flag post, and sometimes even laid these into circles like a toroidal thing.

Rethm saadhana speaker all caps on subwoofer used only keltron. I have replaced many Nichicon caps with Keltron since never failed. Nichicon is sound better than Kelton.

I concur. Nichocon is more hype than substance
It depends on series.When l had built LM317 diy PSU, local caps couldn't filter noise well. Even bass was poor. After changing to Panasonic and Nichicon caps, things changed. Keltrons are better than other local brands though.

It depends on series.When l had built LM317 diy PSU, local caps couldn't filter noise well. Even bass was poor. After changing to Panasonic and Nichicon caps, things changed. Keltrons are better than other local brands though.
I'm looking for 2 good quality output transformer for my tube amplifier.
Specifications are as follows:
Primary 5k 460v DC
Secondary 4-8 ohms
10 watt
Please suggest where I can source it from. I'm looking for transformers made in India.
I have already sent an enquiry to Delta and awaiting reply.
Is there any other sources?

I'm looking for 2 good quality output transformer for my tube amplifier.
Specifications are as follows:
Primary 5k 460v DC
Secondary 4-8 ohms
10 watt
Please suggest where I can source it from. I'm looking for transformers made in India.
I have already sent an enquiry to Delta and awaiting reply.
Is there any other sources?
I am having a pair of used Delta output transformers - courtesy @beastofburden. If you want them shipped, I can do it to you at actual. You may have to ask amount and pay to @beastofburden.

I am not sure how you compared. I shall suggest you open your device and check for bulged capacitors. Nichicon has Manu many counterfeit though.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back