Logitech Squeezebox Classic - no display; info on any competent service-centre?!

TheSeeker

Hello everyone!

i recently received the device in subject from an FM. as soon as i connected its adapter to the spike-guard, it got burnt up, with fumes emanating. the squeezebox was still connected to it, but the burning up was instantaneous, so i don't suspect any foul-play with the squeezebox. i got a locally-made adapter online now, of the same rating (5V DC 2A). connected it again, but now can only see the red-light in the TOSLink port at the squeezebox's back lit up. there's no display on the screen, not even the initial Logitech logo that should appear briefly! tried a few methods mentioned online (like resetting the squeezebox, pressing '+' while plugging-in the power-cord to the squeezebox; also, don't suspect that it could be the loose wifi-card issue, as it didn't take any fall), but to no avail.

i will be heading to the local electronics-market tomorrow to get the adapter checked, and possibly buy a new one after getting it tested with the squeezebox then and there. however, just wanted to know where to get the squeezebox itself checked-up for any possible fault(s) that may've occurred due to the earlier adapter dying. am located at Thane/Mumbai. the Squeezebox is a US-purchase, and hence carries no warranty. also, it had been working perfectly fine before i got it (my 'mubaarak' hands screwed up with the device!). any details would be much appreciated.

thanks!

Ouch! I really feel for you as I have the SB Classic too.

Perhaps a fuse inside has blown? Honestly, just a random thought - or that is the first thing I would check. I really don't think you will get any meaningful level of support from the company itself as it is long out of production.

The SB forums are also still quite active so they would be the best help, IMHO. Some DIYers and even companies mod SB especially the power supply, so they might be able to help too. But again, the SB forum would be the best bet.

Ohh that hurts..The Classic is an older model and in any case out of warranty even in the US. I suspect the only possible way out now is to get a top notch local tech guy to look at it.

ok. so i took apart the main board, gave a visual inspection; didn't find anything unusual, like signs of burning, or even any small transistor or anything else blown up. solderings also look good. however, what i did notice was a peculiar smell, somewhat like the burnt-up adapter was emanating. it could also be the smell of the circuitry, which you sense upon opening up some gadget after a long time of use. also, have taken a pic. please check. any idea what could the white marks indicate (this is just below the VFD, near the bottom part of the device, at its front)?!

c4gkspAl.jpg

i also took out the wifi-card and then tried to power it up - no effect.
took off the daughter-board from its connector and re-seated it properly - no effect.

Ouch! I really feel for you as I have the SB Classic too.

Perhaps a fuse inside has blown? Honestly, just a random thought - or that is the first thing I would check. I really don't think you will get any meaningful level of support from the company itself as it is long out of production.

The SB forums are also still quite active so they would be the best help, IMHO. Some DIYers and even companies mod SB especially the power supply, so they might be able to help too. But again, the SB forum would be the best bet.

that's a good idea! i will post it there as well, soon.

Ohh that hurts..The Classic is an older model and in any case out of warranty even in the US. I suspect the only possible way out now is to get a top notch local tech guy to look at it.

yes, searching for someone. i would be heading to Lamington road in a day or two for an RMA-related purpose. i know a service-centre there by the name 'Hi-tech City'. its just above PrimeABGB. very amiable chaps in there! they service laptops and apple products. will show this to them and take their opinion. meanwhile, if any member here can recall about any other technician they know who could take a look at this, and is located at Lam road, or even at any other place at Thane/Mumbai, please do let me know.

Last edited:
UPDATE: The squeezebox is getting detected in the wifi-network! this brings me closer to several other people who had complained of no display on their Classic, but still being able to use the Squeezebox.

another thing that i foolishly missed out! this Squeezebox was a US purchase. the bundled-adapter was rated for 100-120V, and i did not use it with a step-up transformer. the FM from whom i took it i think has that transformer, but couldn't ship it alongwith the package as it was quite bulky. am now using an Indian adapter rated for the standard Indian voltage. would that be enough, or should i now get a step-up transformer?

Well that's a real bummer-it's happened to me on a cordless phone that I fried! Since the new adapter is rated for 220 I dont think you need to worry. I dont know how one can play music without the display.

Well that's a real bummer-it's happened to me on a cordless phone that I fried! Since the new adapter is rated for 220 I dont think you need to worry. I dont know how one can play music without the display.

thats some respite! also, read that since the TOSLink light is lit up, that means the SB is getting power. but still, very confusing as to what could be the issue behind the non-display. still searching. have posted on logitech forums. yet to post on the slimdevices forums, as haven't been yet provided the rights to post a thread there.

P.S. - playing music through an SB that throws up nothing on display is accomplished through a PC, as per what i read.

good, I suspect the only possible way out now is to get a top notch local tech guy to look at it.
13.gif

My SB Classic powers on, but no display. I took it to Logitech service center in Delhi and they refused to touch it as it had no warranty.

good, I suspect the only possible way out now is to get a top notch local tech guy to look at it.
13.gif

yes, heading for Lamington road tomorrow.

My SB Classic powers on, but no display. I took it to Logitech service center in Delhi and they refused to touch it as it had no warranty.

it seems that the Classic's VFD is indeed very weak. lots of complaints about display going kaput.
i don't expect Logitech here as well to give it a look, but i do hope that they could tell me where to find a technician who could help me out.

For the benefits of all HFV members, Ghatgepatil provided me a name of a technician in Delhi. Kalam in CR Park ... 9868587180

I will call him first thing tom, thanks Ghatgepatil.

i also had a chat with a Logitech technician today. nice person. he asked me to call up Logitech's toll-free customer care no., and to check with them, as according to him, there are some chances that they might ask to give the box in for repair to any of the Logitech's service centre.

also showed to a technician at a small shop at Lamington road. he told me that the VFD has gone bust, and asked me to leave it with him, and that he would try to find a suitable replacement for it in a day or two. however, i deemed it fit to first contact Logitech itself on this. got late by the evening, so will call Logitech CC tomorrow, and report back here. so finally, i think its now clear that the VFD itself has gone faulty.

i could've used it without display itself, and wish to use it wired only, but for that, i first need to set-up a relationship between my router and the squeezebox, and for that i think the display is needed. i suppose i am correct here?!

@heliumflight - please do let us know what he tells about your issue. also, if possible, please do ask him whether by any chance he knows any technician here in Mumbai, who could do the same job.

There is something called Net::UDAP

You can find about it on the SB forums, and go to the project page via the link I gave. It might work with your classic, I don't know. Further googling maybe? If it does, this should allow you to configure it to talk to Squeezeboxcentre (or whatever they call it now) on the pc.

Doh... Can you telnet to it?

There is something called Net::UDAP

You can find about it on the SB forums, and go to the project page via the link I gave. It might work with your classic, I don't know. Further googling maybe? If it does, this should allow you to configure it to talk to Squeezeboxcentre (or whatever they call it now) on the pc.

Doh... Can you telnet to it?

yes, read about it on the slimdevices forum a few days back (other options are - using the Squeezebox Receiver, and the android app; not sure which android app, and if it can really work in case of configuring the network). going to try it as soon as i exhaust my remaining options, and they have almost neared their very end (tried using different PSUs, a step-down transformer, showed to various technicians - all, to my utter despair, no avail)! but one positive thing to come out of the 'quest' is the revelation that - the bundled PSU is not to be blamed for the screen's (probable) demise (as per 2 technicians), and that the device itself is NOT dead! :)

and will check about communication via telnet as well now.

Last edited:
Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back