Logitech Squeezebox Classic - no display; info on any competent service-centre?!

I use android to control my Duet Receiver. It works a lot better than the fancy Duet remote. I don't think that it can be used for basic configuration.

Ipeng is a paid app to control the Duet/Touch, apart from the free SB app that I use for both.

if am correct, these can't be used to configure or set-up a network.
also, came to know that there are a few people who have successfully been able to set-up the network for their 'blind' SBCs using Net-UDAP; so would be trying that method now.

Hello everyone!

there's some good news!

y'day, after several rounds of trial-and-error, i was finally able to make the SqueezeCenter (LMS) detect my player, and play music (ofcourse ;) ), in the following 2 modes:

1. Wired-DHCP
2. Wired-Static IP

the wireless set-up will take some more efforts, though now, am least bothered about that, because even wired set-up would do for me. but still, would give the wireless some try.

moreover, got to know what VFD does an SBC use. its from a company named Noritake-Itron, based in the UK. here's the link that provides the details like part no., dimensions, and all other specs:

Noritake Itron VFD Display Modules - VFD Displays compatible with LCD Modules Graphic Displays and Character Displays with Solidworks drawings + USB, SPI, RS232 and parallel interface plus Smart TFT iSMART TFT modules

i will soon follow this post up with a short, clean, 'how-to', on using the Net::UDAP to set up a wired network configuration for the SBC to connect to.

Sorry for the delay!

So, for those owners of Logitech Squeezebox Classic, whose displays have bid adieu to you for any reason (due to a fall, or due to a faulty wireless-card, or due to anything else, even perhaps force de majeure), fret not! we have a way of communicating with it, by way of a splendid module, the method of using which i would put in the form of a few steps below. this is just meant to be a short 'how-to' guide to be followed in case you are one of those having a 'blind' SBC (please note, that SBC may also mean Squeezebox Controller. however, in the present context, it'll mean Squeezebox Classic).

the points below are to be used in case one wishes to set-up/configure the network-communication with his SBC. this is not for playback-control.

our module-friend is known as Net::UDAP. originally intended to be used for/with a Squeezebox Receiver, some people, like me, have found it to be equally useful for the SBC too.

ORIENTATION-CAPSULE:

- to read about this UDAP software, please go to its page here:

NET::UDAP

- to start using it, please download & install ActiveState's Perl (the version relevant to you) from this page:

ActivePerl Downloads - Perl Binaries for Windows, Linux and Mac

- download the zip-archive of NET::UDAP from the bottom of this page:

https://projects.robinbowes.com/Net-UDAP/trac/browser/branches/1.0.x

- extract its contents (ie, the 'branches' folder) to the root of your primary partition (in my case, the 'C' drive of my PC), so that the path of the folder be 'C:/branches'.

- keep your SBC and its remote ready beside you. plug an ethernet cable to its back, and the other end to your router (in my case, it was the Beetel 450TC1).

- please take care to plug it in the port specified as 'LAN' only on your router. in my case, plugging the cable in the ports designated as 'IPTV' and 'VOIP' didn't work.

- don't plug in the power-cable at the back of the SBC yet!

COMMENCEMENT:

- take the SBC's remote, point it towards the device, keep the '+' ('add') button pressed, and simultaneously, plug in the power-plug at the back of the SBC (make sure that the power-switch at the source-outlet is ON); keep the button pressed for a few seconds. this is the procedure for resetting the SBC to its default factory-condition.

- now, open the 'start menu' on your PC, click on RUN, type cmd in the box, hit enter.

- the command-prompt would open. keep typing cd.. and pressing enter until you see the following written in the prompt:

C:\>

(this is so that you change directory to go to the root of your primary-partition or the C drive)

- now, type the following, and hit enter:

C:\>branches\1.0.x\scripts\udap_shell.pl --local-address x1.x1.x1.x1

(in the above, replace 'x1' with the IP address of your PC, which is on the same subnet and wired-connection as your SBC. in other words, write the IP address of the PC on which you are using UDAP. to check the IP-address, right-click your connection's icon and clicking on 'status', and then 'details', wherein, the IPv4 address, assuming that you are using one, is the IP you need to put in the above command).

- now, type d, and hit enter (d --> discover; to discover your SBC).

- this will be followed by some lines indicating establishing of communication of UDAP with your SBC. the MAC address of the SBC would be listed in the window.

- now, type list. this would show your SBC's (under #1) status as 'init' - (initialising).

- type configure 1 (meaning, you are ready to configure the device #1 listed under the list above).

- type list again (all default defined lists will be listed).

- now, for a wired set-up, with DHCP enabled in your router-page, type the following:

set interface=1 lan_ip_mode=1 squeezecenter_address=x.x.x.x

save_data

reset

upon pressing enter after each line, you will get to see some info for a brief time, indicating, for eg, whether the data is saving and resetting properly or not.
(where, x.x.x.x is the IP-address of the device on which the Squeezecentre is running).

- for wired static IP set-up, type the following:

set interface=1 lan_ip_mode=0 lan_gateway=x0.x0.x0.x0 lan_network_address=x2.x2.x2.x2 lan_subnet_mask=255.255.255.0 primary_dns=x0.x0.x0.x0 squeezecenter_address=x.x.x.x

save_data

reset

(where, x0.x0.x0.x0 is your router's IP address;

x2.x2.x2.x2 is a random IP address that you can assign to your SBC as its static IP address, preferably, 192.168.1.200 or above;

x.x.x.x is the IP address of the device which has the LMS/Squeezecentre loaded and running on it).

- type quit, and reboot your SBC.

- run the LMS, and voila! it detects your SBC and plays music! :eek:hyeah::clapping:

Thanks to Robin Bowes, Peter, and dheerajjotwani!

Last edited:
Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back