Looking for <60" LCD/LED/Plasma

If you are okay with 55 then check out sony 55hx925. Its the best looking tv there is and also much better pq than d8000
hx920_04.jpg

And check out this video to get an idea of the black levels HX925 is capable of

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQkKOcv3lZw

And this is what ChadB a ISF certified professional calibrator who calibrates high end TVs for a living has to say about HX925 vs VT30 plasma
"I can say this from my experience with the 65VT30
If I could be assured that my viewing seat was on axis and I was about 9-10 feet away, I'd easily choose the HX929. Wouldn't even be close. I think both depth and pop are better on the HX929.
"

Last edited:
I thought about it, but i think then this TV looks good with its stand. whereas mine would be wall mounted on a wooden frame.

^
It looks good even wall mounted. :)
IMO and many others feel its more classy looking than Samsung D8000. A more premium look. Many websites have called it a piece of art when turned off. Check it out in a showroom, you will know what I mean. It looks like a black slab. You can't tell apart the screen from the bezel, its all jet black.
Of course at the end of the day its your money and your choice, but still I would say completely avoid D8000. Its just not worth that much money and has too many issues. What good is it if it just looks good when turned off but later you will face much dissapointment with the numerous issues that it has including clouding, back light inconsistency, problems with motion judder and so much more. Go read the horror stories on AVS and other forums and you will know. If you spend so much money on a TV, you should get nothing but the best. So either get Panasonic VT30/Samsung D8000 plasma or get Sony 55HX925.

hx920_02.jpg

Last edited:
Its encouraging to see that unlike many TV manufacturers, Sony hasnt given up on local-dimming LCD displays, and has managed to build this technology into a slim HDTV design so that it can still appeal to size-zero-inclined buyers. The KDL-46HX923 is a fairly capable 2D HDTV, its biggest strengths certainly being its local-dimming-assisted contrast performance and its impressive viewing angle quality; with colours retaining a good amount of richness even when the TV is viewed from the sides. However, even these impressive attributes still arent on the level of considerably less expensive Plasma TVs.

Sony KDL-46HX923/ KDL-55HX923 (HX923) 3D LED LCD TV Review

^
See don't start with posting random reviews. I can post hundred reviews where they HX92X is the best TV available today. So stop doing that.

And unlike you I am not trying to impose my preference on someone else. I hate plasmas but still I am recommending him VT30/D8000 because they are great TVs. The only reason I am suggesting AGAINST D8000 LED is it is not worth it and has many problems which have been discussed at great lengths everywhere.

^
See don't start with posting random reviews. I can post hundred reviews where they HX92X is the best TV available today. So stop doing that.

first get your facts checked, there aint a hundred proper review on the sony HX92X series, in fact there aint even ten of them.

Who are you to ask me to stop btw? i am seriously not getting that part.Unless you are a mod i suggest you kindly back off.

And unlike you I am not trying to impose my preference on someone else.

IMO and many others feel its more classy looking than Samsung D8000. A more premium look. Many websites have called it a piece of art when turned off. Check it out in a showroom, you will know what I mean. It looks like a black slab. You can't tell apart the screen from the bezel, its all jet black.
Of course at the end of the day its your money and your choice, but still I would say completely avoid D8000. Its just not worth that much money and has too many issues. What good is it if it just looks good when turned off but later you will face much dissapointment with the numerous issues that it has including clouding, back light inconsistency, problems with motion judder and so much more. Go read the horror stories on AVS and other forums and you will know.

If you are okay with 55 then check out sony 55hx925. Its the best looking tv there is and also much better pq than d8000:rolleyes:

^^
Those are not my opinions except the first two sentences. Ok ????????

Try and find any reliable source that says otherwise about everything I have mentioned above.

And no "professional" review is greater than hundreds of videophiles who rate HX92X to be as good as the best - the Pioneer Kuro Elite. Go read ChadB's review and you will know. A calibrated HX925 will outperform a calibrated VT30/Samsung D8000 by a good margin. If anybody has any doubts, including you yourself then please go to a showroom and check yourself and then post here.

Here's what Snyxxx, a guy who owns both has to say about HX929 vs VT30

"I have both a 55VT30 (Plasma) and the 55HX929. I have tested out both this weekend. We have a two story living room full of windows with semi-opaque shades, but the room is still bright even with the shades down.

It was no contest at all. The VT30 had substantial more reflections when watching TV than the HX929. My wife was the one that really noticed it without me prompting her.

The other wife's observation was how "soft" the VT30's image (1080i Directv) was in comparison to the HX929.

Definitely more crispness and clarity on the HX929. I really noticed the difference after changing the TV back to the 929 after a day with the VT30.

I was really pulling for the plasma in all honesty, but the VT30 is going back.
"

Last edited:
^^
Those are not my opinions except the first two sentences. Ok ????????

Try and find any reliable source that says otherwise about everything I have mentioned above.

And no "professional" review is greater than hundreds of videophiles who rate HX92X to be as good as the best - the Pioneer Kuro Elite. Go read ChadB's review and you will know. A calibrated HX925 will outperform a calibrated VT30/Samsung D8000 by a good margin. If anybody has any doubts, including you yourself then please go to a showroom and check yourself and then post here.

Here's what Snyxxx, a guy who owns both has to say about HX929 vs VT30

"I have both a 55VT30 (Plasma) and the 55HX929. I have tested out both this weekend. We have a two story living room full of windows with semi-opaque shades, but the room is still bright even with the shades down.

It was no contest at all. The VT30 had substantial more reflections when watching TV than the HX929. My wife was the one that really noticed it without me prompting her.

The other wife's observation was how "soft" the VT30's image (1080i Directv) was in comparison to the HX929.

Definitely more crispness and clarity on the HX929. I really noticed the difference after changing the TV back to the 929 after a day with the VT30.

I was really pulling for the plasma in all honesty, but the VT30 is going back.
"

Just because a product is popular on a forum does not mean its the best there is. Some of us place a fair degree of confidence in review sites (particularly hdtvtest and flatpanelHD in my case). We all understand you prefer Sony and would love to hear why based on your experience.

Pasted below is the conclusion from a flatpanelHD review of the HX929.

Conclusion
Sony has implemented their entire arsenal of multimedia functionality in HX929 / HX920 and that also includes the Bravia Internet platform. At the moment Sony has some good offerings but I find that navigation is much too complicated. In 2011 Sony has also expanded with smartphone remote controlling and USB recording (in Europe) very functional additions. And Sony has finally used input connectors that point to the side or down instead of out towards the wall.

Sony HX929 delivers very impressive picture quality and the LED local dimming system ensures rich and intense pictures. However, I do not really see HX929 improving the local dimming system over last years HX909 model, and HX929 still struggles with halos especially from an angle. Also, it was a bit disappointing to see that the local dimming system crushed shadow details. On the other hand, LED local dimming enables near-perfect black depth, which also means zero clouding.

We got fairly accurate colors from Sonys Cinema preset and actually the most accurate we have seen from a Sony TV. Response time on HX929 is also very fast, partly because of the scanning backlight system, partly because of very low overdrive trailing. HD picture quality is superb and SD picture quality is quite good. For serious console gamers I still feel that input lag is a bit too high, though.

3D picture quality is much better than on last years HX909 model, and HX929 is one of the best performing 3D LCD/LED models on the market today. But Sony also has the least attractive 3D glasses solution in my opinion. On 3D plasma TVs nothing happens if you tilt your head to the side. On other manufacturers LCD/LED models the 3D pictures appear darker but on Sonys 3D TVs the 3D effect simply disappears even if you tilt your head 5-10 degrees to the side.

To sum my finding up I have to say that in terms of 2D picture quality HX929 / HX920 is one of the best LCD/LED models on the market today but I do not see it as much of an improvement compared to last years HX909 / HX900 model. When it comes to 3D Sony has improved picture quality a lot but personally I am not very impressed with the 3D glasses. Sonys TV is also packed with media functionality and most of it is very useful but Sony has to think more about user friendliness.

ive been reading ChadB's review for years and he is a good guy, does not mean he is always right.i am quite an active member in AVS for many years as well so i don't require some one to let me know whats happening there.

Sony HX929 / HX920 review - FlatpanelsHD

Sony Bravia XBR-55HX929 Review - Watch CNET's Video Review

Sony Bravia KDL-55HX925 Review - LCD TVs

I went to 2 different Best Buy stores today with the intention of examining the UN55D8000 & XBR55HX929. Both stores had the TVs I was interested in seeing, but the first store was in some disarray and made demoing either set difficult.

At the second BB store, a salesrep came up to try and "help" me make a choice and in the process of talking about nothing in particular and getting hardly any useful information that could help, the one thing that I gleaned from hime was that the Samsung was running a local video feed through the component inputs, whereas the Sony was sitting off in the corner with a dedicated bluray feed running the Sony approved demo disc. I asked him to get them both to display the same thing, only to discover later that it wasn't feasible to do. These 2 sets where sitting 10-12 feet away from each other and perpendicular to each other, which meant that I could have stood in the intersecting point and just turned my head 90 degrees to see either TV in its sweet spot. If only they could have had them....

As it turns out, Sony being the old retail pros know to segment/separate/enshrine their top end displays and require the Magnolia stores to give them the best/distinctive/approved setup and will give them the best possible chance to impress potential buyers.
Samsung also had a few dedicated displays and demo corners of various models around the store, but when it came to spotlighting their top end models, they seem to have left things to the store monkeys to set up. And in the case of the store I'm went to, it was as I mentioned, being fed a crappy analog signal via component, which admittedly made it look much worse than expected.

So after 15 minutes of talking with the salesrep, I asked him to connect a bluray player to the Samsung if only to see what it would do with a decent video feed. Needless to say, the TV instantly looked amazing when fed through the HDMI input, and now the picture quality was at least on Par with the HX929.

And between the back and forth demoing and messing around with the remote controls of both TVs and using the onscreen interfaces, various adjustments, and TV apps, I became convinced the Samsung was the better set. And that qwerty keyboard remote control is much better than the Dismal Sony unit.

Also, whatever potential advantages the Sony panel may have over the Samsung as a result of the backlit vs edgelit LED technologies, it was almost invisible throughout the time I was there to audition the sets...

Needless to say, I ordered the Samsung and am waiting impatiently for it to be delivered.

Happy shopping to everyone.

Cheers!

Source :

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1361123

BTW i own this : KDL-55EX720 : EX720 Series : BRAVIA LCD TV : Sony India
along with 3 x samsung and 1 x Panasonic plasma so i do have some little knowledge of plasma and lcd.

Whatever. You not thinking HX929 is a brilliant TV does not bother me nor anybody else.
You not accepting it does not change true facts.

For anyone else I am willing to bet my house the HX925 calibrated will outperform any other TV sold in India. VT30 or D8000 or anything else.

And the reason why CNET, FlatpanelsHD got subpar results is because they used all the wrong settings. They may be good reviewers but unfortunately not good calibrators. The settings they used make the HX925 look bad.

If you don't believe me PM me for calibrated HX925 settings and note down the review settings used by CNET and FlatpanelsHD and see how pathetic their settings were.

Had they used proper settings their findings would have been very different.

As for the post you quoted, go ahead and read the replies on that post. You will know what actually happened with that guy.

And I am done arguing with you, I don't care whether you or anybody else likes the HX925 or not but the fact remains its easily the best TV available in the market today in India for PQ. Proof is out for all to see, just go to a Sony showroom where they have the HX925 and decide yourself with calibrated settings.

Last edited:
Proof is out for all to see, just go to a Sony showroom where they have the HX925 and decide yourself with calibrated settings.

I did go to a Sony showroom (Sony Centre not a multi brand shop) and demoed this TV a few weeks back. While it was undoubtedly a good TV, I was not blown away. Based on that demo, its hard for me to believe that its the best TV sold in Inida today. Subsequently I've seen it in a side by side demo with 5 other 55" TVs. Again, I thought it was a bit better than the EX720 but not massively superior.

I am admittedly not a videophile so am interested to know if I'm missing something here that others with more experience may have seen. Hence my request for YOUR experience in demoing this TV and what your comparisons were. If you dont feel like sharing that, people like me have no choice but to go by what professional reviewers say.

I did go to a Sony showroom (Sony Centre not a multi brand shop) and demoed this TV a few weeks back. While it was undoubtedly a good TV, I was not blown away. Based on that demo, its hard for me to believe that its the best TV sold in Inida today. Subsequently I've seen it in a side by side demo with 5 other 55" TVs. Again, I thought it was a bit better than the EX720 but not massively superior.

I am admittedly not a videophile so am interested to know if I'm missing something here that others with more experience may have seen. Hence my request for YOUR experience in demoing this TV and what your comparisons were. If you dont feel like sharing that, people like me have no choice but to go by what professional reviewers say.
hi,
What a war of words and opinions. BTW i had been to sony centre today. watched some clippings and videos on 55hx929. Indeed it is superb but not to the extent it is hyped to be. I took the same clipping on usb which i tested on vt20. I can definitely say even vt20 looks superior than hx929. I could make out more depth in vt20 and nice details. whereas in sony pictures were sharp and bright but lacked depth. Thats what i can say. I dont know about calibration but at existing settings vt20 was good. I have not seen vt30 or for that matter st30 either...but hx929 does not meet the high... no wonder price has been dropped from 200k to 149k in just 2 months..Never heard sony do that

. I can definitely say even vt20 looks superior than hx929. I could make out more depth in vt20 and nice details. whereas in sony pictures were sharp and bright but lacked depth. Thats what i can say.t

Its not what u say, it is the fact. Plasma, CRT and OLED always have so much better depth in picture while LCD's really lack in that department.

I have seen both the D8000 and H925 side by side.
D8000 has the vow factor. The pictures are razor sharp. The colors are vivid, contrast and brightness are excellent. All this adds to a very amazing display. Where it falls flat (very important for me) are the viewing angles and pools of light near the edges in dark scenes.

HX925 in comparison has better viewing angles and lesser backlight inconsistency. The blacks were deep but shadow detailing is not the best. However, the pictures did not have the 'Vow!' factor.

To call HX925 the best available display is an overstatement - I mentioned in some other thread and after 2 demos I still hold my opinion.

To each his own, if I had to chose between HX925 and D8000 at 55" it would be a tough call. When such kind of serious money is at stake I wouldn't trust any review - no, not even the owners. The reviews are just pointers to help in buying decision and not words carved on a stone tablet.

Its not what u say, it is the fact. Plasma, CRT and OLED always have so much better depth in picture while LCD's really lack in that department.

Definitely plasma is superior(higher end ones). Whenever and wherever i would walk in to stores, those guys would always promote led, lcd. Plasma? No body knows what is it. In fact they would say plasma is flop. No body asks for it. He points out to me to the lonely x30 model and says to me "see how dull the picture looks compared to led tvs". My God:rolleyes:
Even though v20, vt20, some samsung models are good, Many stores do not have the stock. Even today, in my town, reliance digital and many other stores do not have st30 model. When i ask them, they do not know the name of the model:mad:
In fact even panasonic showroom doesnt have the stock of st30 for demo. They are lined up with led lcd tvs and only a couple of x30 and u30 model. I am still waiting for st30 demo in my city(mangalore). I have asked the panasonic guy to give me a demo of st30 2 months back but he hasnt got it even till now.

Please help me with my requirement. I'm new to this forum and would look forward for answers to my query.

I'm residing in new delhi, hence let me know where to get the product from too.

Heard abt two plasmas, but still I can have more options

Samsung PS64D8000FRL
Panasonic Vtseries P65vt30d

Budget max around 2.5-3L

hi, its a good thing you have a good budget............need not look any further, there isnt a tv that can come close to the panasonic 65VT30, it is THE best tv in the marker right now. go for it!!! the other TVs might be good but cant match the panny. The panasonic 2011 series start with VT, ST, GT, UT.........so VT is the top of the line.

Definitely plasma is superior(higher end ones). Whenever and wherever i would walk in to stores, those guys would always promote led, lcd. Plasma? No body knows what is it. In fact they would say plasma is flop. No body asks for it. He points out to me to the lonely x30 model and says to me "see how dull the picture looks compared to led tvs". My God:rolleyes:
Even though v20, vt20, some samsung models are good, Many stores do not have the stock. Even today, in my town, reliance digital and many other stores do not have st30 model. When i ask them, they do not know the name of the model:mad:
In fact even panasonic showroom doesnt have the stock of st30 for demo. They are lined up with led lcd tvs and only a couple of x30 and u30 model. I am still waiting for st30 demo in my city(mangalore). I have asked the panasonic guy to give me a demo of st30 2 months back but he hasnt got it even till now.

Its really sad most stores do not favour selling plasma over LED/LCD. The sales staff are not trained to advice the customer properly and worst is that the plasma tv's are never displayed the way it should. Therefore, you dont see anyone buying plasma.

Plasma's should never bet displayed in a bright store sitting next to LED/LCD tv's. In bright light LED/LCD will look better. But turn down the lighting and you will see the difference of what plasma can do to the picture. Play some HD content, turn down the lights and then demo plasma tv's. When i visit any store, I always request the sales staff to turn down the lights.

Panasonic make the best plasma's now because of their neo pdp panels found in V,S,G series. you can't go wrong with either of them. In 3D pan offers VT, ST, GT followed by U, X series. Do try to go for any one that come with the neo pdp panels, it will make a BIG difference.

hi,
What a war of words and opinions. BTW i had been to sony centre today. watched some clippings and videos on 55hx929. Indeed it is superb but not to the extent it is hyped to be. I took the same clipping on usb which i tested on vt20. I can definitely say even vt20 looks superior than hx929. I could make out more depth in vt20 and nice details. whereas in sony pictures were sharp and bright but lacked depth. Thats what i can say. I dont know about calibration but at existing settings vt20 was good. I have not seen vt30 or for that matter st30 either...but hx929 does not meet the high... no wonder price has been dropped from 200k to 149k in just 2 months..Never heard sony do that

Hi, the pan VT20 was the best 2010 tv and fetched many awards and brilliant reviews. It is now replaced with the 2011 model VT30. However, depending on availability and budget, both the tv's are excellent and will give you a breathtaking superior picture quality. Next down in the series is the ST30, GT30. But VT is the top of the line.

@everyone who went to see the HX925

Please read my post properly, I said CALIBRATED HX925. A torch more showroom HX925 will no doubt look inferior to maybe even Edge LED models. So what you guys saw was not even half of the PQ its capable of.
Next time you guys go to see it, ask me for settings and apply those settings and then tell me if you think any TV is better.
This is the same reason why FlatPanelsHD and CNET did not see anything "exceptional" about the HX925.
If anybody is interested then PM me, ill send you both calibrated as well as CNET/FlatpanelsHD settings so you can decide if those reviews were accurate or not.

Last edited:
Back