Looking for <60" LCD/LED/Plasma

Its not what u say, it is the fact. Plasma, CRT and OLED always have so much better depth in picture while LCD's really lack in that department.

There is always an exception to a rule. Most Full Array Local Dimming sets like HX925, XBR8, Samsung B8500, NANO LG models and the Sharp Elite PRO LED LCDs have as much depth if not better than any Plasma.

Cnet for conclusion in their written review
One of the best-performing LED-based LCDs we've ever tested, the expensive local-dimming Sony XBR-HX929 competes well with the top plasmas.

The XBR-HX929, Sony's most expensive and, we're willing to guess, best-performing TV of 2011, is also the company's only local dimmer. It boasts that excellent contrast by way of inky black levels not found on any TV aside from the oft-cited Pioneer Kuro plasma, and improves upon the color accuracy of its predecessor XBR. In short, it represents the pinnacle of LCD picture quality, so if you're shopping in the extreme upper end of the TV market and were only going to consider plasma, the XBR-HX929 might change your mind

HX92 is the only other tv(along with other Sony HX series) as per hdtvtest uk to achieve 1080lines of motion resolution in both 2d and 3d.

Everyones knows chad B who reviewed the Vt30 , D8000 and HX92 prefers the HX92 over the other tvs that he has tested.

There is also good reviews about the yet to be launched sharp kuro branded lcds,its however even more expensive then the hx92.

Last edited:
Hi, the pan VT20 was the best 2010 tv and fetched many awards and brilliant reviews. It is now replaced with the 2011 model VT30. However, depending on availability and budget, both the tv's are excellent and will give you a breathtaking superior picture quality. Next down in the series is the ST30, GT30. But VT is the top of the line.

I was planning to go for 50st30. got a quote for 1 lac. got a shocker today morning. 50 vt20 is being offered at 83k:eek:hyeah:. Now i am in a dilemna. Is st30 worth 20k more than vt20:confused:.Any expert advice please. Reply urgently cos i have to take decision tomoro

No..
In my opinion in brightness perspective ST30 is better, but not overall..
and whatever advantages ST30 have, are not worth 20k..
All newly launched panasonic models are a bit overpriced..
so 1 lac is not a price to be paid for 50ST30..
In my humble opinion why don't you wait for some days and I hope you will get 50VT20 below 75k..the way prices are going down, it will be quite soon..
but this is my opinion and I am not an expert though......

There is always an exception to a rule. Most Full Array Local Dimming sets like HX925, XBR8, Samsung B8500, NANO LG models and the Sharp Elite PRO LED LCDs have as much depth if not better than any Plasma.

to achieve that in a LCD TV they will need LED's in 2,073,600 zones.

to achieve that in a LCD TV they will need LED's in 2,073,600 zones.

Originally Posted by spoons
Chad B, how would comment on the depth/pop of the HX929 vs the VT30?

ChadB:I think both depth and pop are better on the HX929.

And yeah go back and read the CNET review (yes the very same one you quoted) where even with the incorrect settings they have mentioned that HX929 has better shadow detail than D8000 plasma and VT30 plasma. Whereas you had made a post here saying you THINK HX925 has worse shadow detail than VT30/D8000 and also worse real world blacks.

Let me post it here for you

"The Sony managed excellent shadow detail in most areas, outdoing both the Samsung PND8000 and the HX909 at showing details in Sam's and the guard's clothing (13:30), while avoiding the somewhat too-bright shadows of the VT30. It matched the Vizio and LG in this department, while delivering deeper blacks than either"

Last edited:
Originally Posted by spoons
Chad B, how would comment on the depth/pop of the HX929 vs the VT30?

ChadB:I think both depth and pop are better on the HX929.

I think i ll be going for vt20. Better model than both vt30 and hx929. At the price ofcourse. Let everyone fight between sony and panny:lol:. in the meantime will make preparations to get home the vt20:clapping:

Hi folks,

I just thought i should share this with everybody.

I got Sony LED 55" TV Model EX720 in bangkok for 40500 baht Less 3251 vat refund which i received back at the airport (Cost in Indian rupees 59000 approx at bangkok) on the 24th September 2011. Because the tv was huge i tied the same behind a tuk tuk in bangkok. He took me to my hotel and then dropped me to sky train station for indian Rs. 750. Train ticket in indian rupees 145 from station to bangkok airport. I paid to thai airways Rs. 7500 additional cost as extra space charges on bangkok airport because they allow only upto 46 inches. Bombay Airport miscellanous charges Rs. 10000 (Dont ask me for the details for this PLEASE). The TV is sold in India for Rs. 179000 MRP.

The picture quality of the TV is excellent. I can share with you the dealer name in bangkok tommorow if anybody is interested.

Hi folks,

I just thought i should share this with everybody.

I got Sony LED 55" TV Model EX720 in bangkok for 40500 baht Less 3251 vat refund which i received back at the airport (Cost in Indian rupees 59000 approx at bangkok) on the 24th September 2011. Because the tv was huge i tied the same behind a tuk tuk in bangkok. He took me to my hotel and then dropped me to sky train station for indian Rs. 750. Train ticket in indian rupees 145 from station to bangkok airport. I paid to thai airways Rs. 7500 additional cost as extra space charges on bangkok airport because they allow only upto 46 inches. Bombay Airport miscellanous charges Rs. 10000 (Dont ask me for the details for this PLEASE). The TV is sold in India for Rs. 179000 MRP.

The picture quality of the TV is excellent. I can share with you the dealer name in bangkok tommorow if anybody is interested.

In short your Bangkok trip went for free. :yahoo::lol:

Update guys :
My samsung plaza dealer is sending both TVs at my place...D8000 64"plasma and d8000 55" led. He says use both of them for 1-2 days whichever you find better..keep it.

But if I really wanna go for 65" plasma ..i should be going for vt30 without thinking again right ? M getting price of 3.0L on it.

PS64D8000FRLX Samsung plasma, worth buying ? i'll try it though.. (coz its cheaper, should i really spend that much of vt30?)

I'm just too afraid to buy plasmas, screen burn, heavier, more depth in size in comparison to d8000 samsung led 55", and thats the only thing which is making me shift to a LED. :rolleyes: :confused:

As I told you earlier, d8000 led has as much issues as the plasma. So you are not being safe by getting either the d8000 plasma or led.

Thanks for your reply...

Do you feel its bulky? I will be using without stand.

Here are sony 55hx925 dimensions
Dimensions (W x H x D) with Stand Approx. 1278 x 803 x 308 mm
Dimensions (W x H x D) without Stand Approx. 1278 x 771 x 38(36.4) mm
Weight without Stand Approx. 26.1kg

and for samsung d8000
Set Size (WxHxD) without Stand 1,487.9 x 888.9 x 37.1mm
Set Size (WxHxD) with Stand 1,487.9 x 979.2 x 351.6mm
Set weight without stand 35.0Kg

pana 65vt30
weight 56kg Panasonic TX-P65VT30 Manufacturer's Specifications | AVForums.com - UK Online

As you can see hardly any difference in depth without stand. Panasonic is heaviest of the lot though. But I believe panasonic should provide you suitable mounts.

On a stand, even for 40" looks scary to me.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back