love instead of study..

entirely possible on many roads in kerala and on roads between kerala and karanataka.

and it is only in india that there are no rules. you go dangerously fast and all you get are angry glances and gestures, until you damage property or lives.

probably pay a lot in fines and get your license suspended if you tried this anywhere else (exception would be the somalia and african countries):)

Absolutely right Suri its possible in many highways in kerala as well as some in TN.

In Somalia there are so many ways to get killed the least you worry abt is your license getting canceled :D

Dinyaar,
In the latest issue of autocar they had a 1925 picture of JRD in a Bugatti driving down the Worli rd I thk its the one you are talking abt. May be the 2050 Autocar might have Dinyaar driving a jaguar down worli in 2009 :eek:hyeah:

REM!!!!!!!!HAHAHA U mean I will have to wait till 2050 to feature in it?????
Am actually irritated as i have not yet got my sept copy.
Incidently todays papers mention that u could have your license cancelled if caught talking on your cell phone. Now thats Ok IMO as unless a drastic penalty is imposed we cant seem to follow the rules, but even if u pull over and talk its not acceptable!!! It also mentions listening to music on the phone is an offense!!!! It further clarifies that these restrictions only apply to the driver, the other occupants are allowed!!!! Hahaha to think we needed that clarification!!!
I think this is going over the top!!!!! Imagine how some of the cops could abuse this new law.
Rgds

Last edited:
REM!!!!!!!!HAHAHA U mean I will have to wait till 2050 to feature in it?????
Am actually irritated as i have not yet got my sept copy.
Incidently todays papers mention that u could have your license cancelled if caught talking on your cell phone. Now thats Ok IMO as unless a drastic penalty is imposed we cant seem to follow the rules, but even if u pull over and talk its not acceptable!!! It also mentions listening to music on the phone is an offense!!!! It further clarifies that these restrictions only apply to the driver, the other occupants are allowed!!!! Hahaha to think we needed that clarification!!!
I think this is going over the top!!!!! Imagine how some of the cops could abuse this new law.
Rgds

Hi Dinyaar
I also read and feel in a way a harsh punishment will make us stop talking on cell phones while driving. But the thing that you cant even talk if you pull over is asking for too much. So now everyone has to pull over, switch off the engine, get outside of the car and then talk on the phone.
Its good to apply strict rules but you cant go overboard with it

Rgds

Such a law is likely being being pushed so that it can be abused. This looks like a clever new income guarantee scheme of the cops. Even when I have all the papers cops seem to find some reason to fine me, unless I would be em willing to save them the trouble of tearing a receipt for a partial fine :D

Regards

Hi Nirav/rikhav,
Nirav have always liked a BMW so if i can afford it sometime soon i would like to buy one. Not for the next two years as i have just bought a car for myself. Maybe in 2 years my old city will be 'ready' for sale. I did not know that the Laura was 'fast' at all. Any way i dont like the laura or the superb, like the old octy though. Did u finally swap the tyres on your VW? Well actually a few friends have the 325 and i quite like the feel/performance of the car. The Co is being pig headed about the run flats till now and i hope they adapt their thought process to our roads!!!
Rikhav tom at noon the dealer has arranged a TD for the 740 i so will definately check the size and revert back.
Rgds

Hey! Dinyaar
Sorry, My Bad i got mixed up in between the phone calls & made a few errors while posting. The laura 1.8 tsi is faster then the 320i while the new superb V6 is faster the 325i. A naturally aspirated engine has it own charms over all the turbo & superchargers But audi/vw have been successful in mixing both, but in two years things will change a lot so lets keep it for that.
Nope Ive not changed the tyres on the passat. I went with the collective advice of my friends (including you) in know & decided there was no point in swapping since I was not getting a good deal for the Pirellis.
BMW has long-term understanding with Michelin on the development of run flats, So we can only hope that they will improve.
Cheers.

How many times one can do it on indian roads is a big question mark :)

May be not within city limits. But you can certainly try your luck on some higways.esp like Mumbai-Goa, Mumbai-pune express way, Baroda-Ahmedabad & even Mumabi-Surat is a very good drive.
Cheers

May be not within city limits. But you can certainly try your luck on some higways.esp like Mumbai-Goa, Mumbai-pune express way, Baroda-Ahmedabad & even Mumabi-Surat is a very good drive.
Cheers

My cousins tell me that roads from Gujarat to Rajasthan are also very good

My cousins tell me that roads from Gujarat to Rajasthan are also very good

Yes although i've no personal exp & from what i've heard the roads are good all the way up to delhi.
Except may be the patch for Surat to Baroda which is under maintenance.
Cheers

Hey! Dinyaar
Sorry, My Bad i got mixed up in between the phone calls & made a few errors while posting. The laura 1.8 tsi is faster then the 320i while the new superb V6 is faster the 325i. A naturally aspirated engine has it own charms over all the turbo & superchargers But audi/vw have been successful in mixing both, but in two years things will change a lot so lets keep it for that.
Nope Ive not changed the tyres on the passat. I went with the collective advice of my friends (including you) in know & decided there was no point in swapping since I was not getting a good deal for the Pirellis.
BMW has long-term understanding with Michelin on the development of run flats, So we can only hope that they will improve.
Cheers.

Aah yes the new superb may be quicker but i personally dont like the look of that car.
Smart not to change the tyres. Actually u guys remember i changed mine on the civic to the potenza G3, then a few friends and some on the forum (NEO& ROC) opined that there is much better around now, so i once again changed them to the PP2 and all i can say is i am not over the moon. Its a good tyre for sure but its not exceptional. Some Yokos are surely impressive IMO and this michelin cost about 6700/- in size 205/60 R15.
The gujarat express highway is actually pretty good and we often drive to a place called Bordi which is off the highway and a good 3 hour drive from bbay.
Neo u must fix up a TD of the jaguar XF. U will be awestruck by the machine!!! I am trying to convince my old uncle to junk his plans for a BM 7 or the boring S class and go for the XF. That way i can drive it often enough :yahoo:
Rgds

Guys, those of you who are cribbing about strict rules should drive in the US and be stopped by a cop. First a car comes behind you blaring it's siren. You then pull over, and the cop car parks about 100 feet behind. Over a loudspeaker, the cops will instruct you to put your engines off, lower you window and keep both hands visible on top of the steering wheel. Then, these 6 feet 6 inches tall cops will get off their car, and approach you with their guns drawn. One wrong move on your part, and BANG - you are dead. It is an experience that can make you piss in your pants. If you make a mistake in the US or Europe you can write it on stone that you will be caught irrespective of how far you run. The end result - all drivers follow rules diligently. Though having 10 times more vehicles than India and much higher speed averages, traffic fatalities in the US are less that 1/3rd of those in India. I was reading somewhere that some 15 people die every hour in India due to traffic violations, the highest anywhere in the world. This is not counting some 2000,000 people every year who are injured. Bulk of the fatalities in the US were because people were not wearing their seat belts.

We need to be afraid of cops in India and respect rules. Too many of us take them for granted. I see traffic rules being flouted with impunity on a daily basis and the cops watching helplessly. Too may cars, too many drivers who know the CM, MLA, MP, or the PM. And everybody is more important than the next driver. The other day a lady speaking on a phone and blatantly driving on the wrong side, smashed head on onto the car in which my wife was travelling. The lady coolly tells the copy that our driver was in the wrong, and she did not even keep the damn mobile down. She kept speaking on it. And, she was an educated lady. Fortunately my wife was not hurt. Otherwise I would strangled that lady. I have absolutely no pity for these VIPs who have driven over people sleeping on the road. I believe they are going to bring a law that will put you in jail for 10 years no questions asked, if you are responsible for death while driving. I doubt if even that will improve our accident rates.

All these years I have never had to pay any bribe to a cop. If I feel I am being harassed, I ask the cop to get into the car and insist on driving to the nearest police station. Even when I once hit a tricycle at 100 KMPH and sent two guys to the hospital, I quietly called the ambulance and cops and spent a few hours in the station, before being released by the cops. I then went to the hospital, made sure the guys were looked after till they were released and sent home. I paid whatever fine the cops asked and insisted on an FIR and a receipt. All through the process, I insisted on being above board, and cops could not do anything to me.

Cheers

Last edited:
I agree with you say Venkat sir
But when you pull over to the side and park you car only with the engine running and then answer the phone and still the cop says you have broken the law, then that is surely going to piss you off

way to go Dinyaar. is the XF as big as the 7 series

Thats the problem REM its not!!! Its as big as the E class with marginally less boot space. 5 Adults can be accomodated for sure but its nowhere as comfy as the S class. Its a sporty sedan and its perplexing why the Tata group have chosen to bring down the largest engine (5L V8) instead of the 3.5L V6 which is more than respectable in performance. That way they could have priced it closer to say an E class as at the moment its 25L more!!!!!

I doubt i can convince anyone to shell out so much more but if one is an enthusiast, has the money,then this is one car that will give most 'sports' car a complex on sheer performance. Plus it can definately handle our roads and seems built to last.
Check it out REM and other car buffs!
Rgds

Hi Dinyaar
Isnt the XF with a smaller engine and the XFR with a 5 ltr V8?
I also agree with you that space and comfort wise its in the E class. 5 series category but priced much more, so its hard to convince someone who will mostly use the back seat or cares more about the comforts rather then the performance

Guys, those of you who are cribbing about strict rules should drive in the US and be stopped by a cop. First a car comes behind you blaring it siren. You then pull over, and the copy car parks about 100 feet behind. Over a loudspeaker, the cops will instruct you to put your engines off, lower you window and keep both hands visible on top of the steering wheel. Then these 6 feet 6 inches tall cops will get off their car, and approach you with their guns drawn. One wrong move on your part, and BANG - you are dead. It is an experience that can make you piss in your pants. If you make a mistake in the US or Europe you can write it on stone that you will be caught irrespective of how far you run. The end result - all drivers follow rules diligently.

We need to be afraid of cops in India and respect rules. Too many of us take them for granted. I see traffic rules being flouted with impunity on a daily basis and the cops watching helplessly. Too may cars, too many drivers who know the CM, MLA, MP, or the PM. And everybody is more important than the next driver. The other day a lady speaking on a phone and blatantly driving on the wrong side, smashed head on onto the car in which my wife was travelling. The lady coolly tells the copy that our driver was in the wrong, and she did not even keep the damn mobile down. She kept speaking on it. And, she was an educated lady. Fortunately my wife was not hurt. Otherwise I would strangled that lady. I have absolutely no pity for these VIPs who have driven over people sleeping on the road. I believe they are going to bring a law that will put you in jail for 10 years no questions asked, if you are responsible for death while driving.

Cheers

Sorry to hear of the accident venkat. Am glad the occupants are fine. Why do u presume that the 'educated' will behave better!!!!
I dont really drive in the US as distances are huge but europe/UK is great. I cant put a finger on it, and i doubt its only the stiff fines but most people there are law abiding and CONSIDERATE
Unless they revamp the entire system they are going no where by just coming down heavily on cell users.
I am in no way condoning it, just that there is too much else that can be done to make our roads safer and this is just done for obvious lucrative reasons.
Rgds

Hi Dinyaar
Isnt the XF with a smaller engine and the XFR with a 5 ltr V8?
I also agree with you that space and comfort wise its in the E class. 5 series category but priced much more, so its hard to convince someone who will mostly use the back seat or cares more about the comforts rather then the performance

Both are 5L V8, the XFR is super charged and has over 500 horses while the XF is naturally aspirated and has about 385 horses.

Both are 5L V8, the XFR is super charged and has over 500 horses while the XF is naturally aspirated and has about 385 horses.

My bad
just read that on the site and logged on the forum and saw that you already had posted about it
Surely if TATA would have opted a smaller engine it would have helped to bring costs down. Maybe they had some different plans

I agree with you say Venkat sir
But when you pull over to the side and park you car only with the engine running and then answer the phone and still the cop says you have broken the law, then that is surely going to piss you off

I agree, but there are such simple technical solutions available. For example, for the last six odd months I have been using Nokia's Speakerphone HF-200. Clipped to the visor above my head, I can easily answer calls and have a conversation when driving. My mobile stays firmly in the carrying case in my belt and never removed till I am out of the car.

Cheers

But the rule clearly mentions that no kind of hands free is allowed to use to talk on the phone
With the car running the person on the drivers seat is not allowed to use the phone in any way or talk on it even with a handsfree

Some points to ponder.

Excerpts:

A respected Australian research laboratory has just published its findings confirming that human sperm is damaged by mobile phone radiation, with implications regarding impaired fertility for males carrying their phones in their waist pockets or on waist belts.

Notably, as published in Apple's iPhone3G-S Product Information Guide distributed with current iPhones "...When using iPhone near your body for voice calls or for wireless data transmission over a cellular network, keep iPhone at least 15 mm (5/8 inch) away from the body, and only use carrying cases, belt clips, or holders that do not have metal parts and that maintain at least 15 mm (5/8 inch) separation between iPhone and the body...If you are still concerned about exposure to RF energy, you can further limit your exposure by limiting the amount of time using iPhone...and by placing more distance between your body and iPhone, since exposure level drops off dramatically with distance." [Apple Inc., June 19, 2009]
Source

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back