Low End Response - Audioengine 5 or B&W MM-1

vpriyan

Hi

I'm thinking to buy high-end computer speakers replacing my existing setup. But one factor is hindering me from moving to computer speakers. My Monitor Audio BRw speakers has low end response rating of 42Hz at +/- 3dB but I don't see these ratings in the fallowing computer speakers

B&W MM1 - 38Hz at -6dB
Audioengine 5 - 50Hz at +/-1.5dB

Now I'm really confused which one will be having good low end response when compared to my Monitor Audio BR2 speakers. Though I am not looking for any basshead party speakers I don't want to miss any low end frequencies in movies/music

I'm not sure what would be the low end response for these 2 speakers at 3db so that it will be easy for me to compare

Could anyone in this forum please help me out in choosing the right one?

Your advice/suggestions will be very helpful

Thanks & Regards
VPriyan

I think the AE A5 would have better bass response over the MM1 since the MM1 has 3 inch drivers whereas the A5 has 5 inch drivers.

Yes. Actually I have space constraint and thats why I'm replacing my existing setup. I have posted the same add in Sale section

I want to buy active speakers with wide frequency range and good detail.

if youre looking at 2 channel, why not get get a pair of s70 ca sirocco towers at 17 and a norge amp and xonar?

s70 x 2 = 17k
xonar = 10k
norge amp = 13k

it'll probably be far superior to the 2 small active options

from what i can read about the B&Ws, i would definitely say go for the AE5s over the B&W. B&W will be overpriced. AEs will be quality sound for the money. Also consider somethign like the Topping TP20 + Cambridge Audio S30.

I believe the sirrocoo speakers are some of the best finished with simplest high quality components available for their price in india.

These are somewhere around 17-18k

sicccoos70_7.jpg

If I need to buy amp and speakers then there is no use in selling mine

I want to buy active speakers so that there is no space needed for amp

Priyan,
Few suggestions here:
1. If you want MA BR2 and don't have space for amp, then you can try Topping Amp. So tiny you wouldn't know its there. It will drive the BR2 well for reasonable volumes.
2. Between B&W MM-1 and A5, ideally it would be the A5 because of the larger drivers, but the small catch is that MM-1 takes digital in and alters the lower register to boost itself up resulting in a larger than the speaker bass. So, it will go compete well with the A5 I suppose. Only hearing will tell. So, I would not think that one beats the other in the bass. Won't pick based on that.
3. MM-1 is expected to sit on tables while A5 expects stands mostly.
4. Since MM-1 does some correction in digital domain i would say not using the USB in of MM-1 and using a soundcard can create a less than ideal sound. Or to put it this way, MM-1 was designed to be paired with comp through USB , the aux is an add on. While A5 expects a better sound card out there. So, I would say either Asus + A5 or just MM-1
5. I had actually PM'ed you about the Quad 12L Actives which are quite superior to both of these and will kick these out. But looks like you are not interested. You can hear that for yourself and decide. But Quad 12L would need those stands and your Asus.

My doubt is if Audioengine says 50hz at 1.5db, can I assume at 3db it would be 40hz which is better than BR2 speakers?

I haven't heard either, but I remember a couple of recommendations in previous threads:
1. KRK Rokit
2. M-Audio

Both make powered monitor speakers, and there are several models offered by either company with varying bass responses.

On the whole, I suspect that these will give you better audio quality when compared to Audioengine, but Audioengine will probably be more "user friendly" (will have better connectivity support, etc). Many of the monitor speakers are also individually amplified (unlike Audioengine), and some models allow you to customize the audio parameters to suit the room.

Anyway, I'm just pointing out something I read earlier, so this is not really a recommendation.
Other more experienced forum members can probably shed more light on the merits/demerits of active monitor speakers.

Last edited:
Priyan,
I don't think A5 will go down to 40's. In general a 5 inch driver is close to 50. Monitor Audio is known to go lower than most of the speakers of same size. So, a 5inch A5 won't compete with 6.5inch BR2. But then I don't think you should make your decision based on these last few hz. Its the other things that matter.
I am still puzzled as to why are you not commenting either on Topping amp or Quad Actives :) These 2 speakers are not the only choices available.

Regarding KRK and M-Audio, last I checked KRK was priced far too high in India compared to US and there is no place to audition it etc. Its possible they are in the same league. But then no place to compare these.

Gopi, I haven't come across this name 'Topping' and so I'm not sure about the sound quality. Regarding QUAD actives, I once had audition with QUAD 12L passive speakers and they are awesome but they need careful positioning and thats what I heard from the speaker owner. So for my computer speaker requirement QUAD is way too big even in terms of budget

Priyan,
Topping amp is there with Psychotropic in Chennai. I am sure he would be glad to have you check how it sounds and my gut feel is that the slightly warmish BR2 will gel well with the topping amp. For the size and look check this:
Topping Tripath T Amp 20 2020 Chip Class T
Also, regarding the Quad 12L Actives. i agree that it would need some good positioning and other things to help it but then even if not positioned great it will blow these away. As far as the new one cost it would be 70k, but then I suggested this because mine would be 35k and its in chennai for you to drop and audition it. Anyway, I would recommend you hear out these different choices and then decide yours rather than blindly going for MM-1 or A5.
Nobody here as heard the MM-1 , its so brand new. Don't go by What hifi. They said its the best computer speaker and thats ignorance or something else. I can for one say that Dynaudio MC15 would be a better bet mostly. There are many more. Also, with B&W you are paying a premium for looks and the brand. I am not saying its wrong because I actually have the B&W Zeppelin myself. The sound is very good but then at 40k in india I wouldn;t go unless look matters as well. Luckily for me I bought it for 25k in US. So, a better deal.

If your options include topping amp with monitor audio speakers, quad actives and dynaudsio monitors then its a good step up.You should definitely check out the topping amplifier to start off with then if you dont like the sound you can try quad, dynaudio and AE is always there for cheap.

Thank You for your help Psychotropic, but I'm more inclined towards active speakers. I don't want again to buy amp and speakers separately.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back