Lumin Thread

Yelamanchili manohar

Lots of new Lumin gear being released. So thought I'd share the developments here.

Quite a few users too I guess. So please feel free to chip in :)

New Lumin L2 announced. This is an advancement of the older L1 model, with the below added features :

1. Built in optimised low noise network switch.
2. User addable storage of 4 or 8 TB ( 2 SSD drives of 2TB or 4TB can be added )
3. 2 SFP and 2 copper Lan ports.
4. Network SMB share enabled, which was not possible in the original L1.
5. Will retain its inherent advantage of plug'n'play "Zero" network install for computer dumbo's like me.

The below seem to be the spanners in the work :

1. An expected price tag of USD 5K :eek:
2. Has built-in SMPS // No linear power supply :rolleyes:

My 2 cents : Both Esoteric and Luxman are using Lumin platform for their streamers. So makes sense for Lumin to provide a compatible storage option for these present and future streamers. Besides, network optimization is the current flavor of the month. So why not milk that too, while we are at it.

But, I think if the pricing speculation is right, the L2 is way too over priced for what it does. No in-built storage or Linear power supply, makes it a fancy looking case, and nothing else. At this price level, the Innous Zenith mk3 or the Aurender N10 will eat it in the VFM stakes, as they are full fledged streamers with storage. A Melco N50-H60 with an actual in-built HDD and similar features can be had for USD 3.5K. And Melco has the best library back-up management out there.

Close to 3K is probably okay in my opinion, as I could stitch up something similar with linear PSU's, NAS and a SOTM or Melco network switch for similar outlay. Of course, on the downside, it will be a out right cable soup at the back.

However, will wait for the reviews, as Lumin is usually very good at nailing the price vs performance ratio. And maybe...just maybe it's price is reflective of its sound quality as it usually is.

Last edited:
Hi
Great to see this thread
I am thinking of getting the Lumin T3. I want a streamer cum dac and possibly a pre all in one ..
any users who can give their review about this product?
Cheers

Lots of new Lumin gear being released. So thought I'd share the developments here.

New Lumin L2 announced. This is an advancement of the older L1 model, with the below added features :

SUPER IDEA. THANKS.

A request to all posting... When mentioning the Lumin Model number, please also mention what that product is / will do.

What is the Lumin L-1?

I am unfamiliar with the Lumin product range (looking forward to Gyan here) and only know that the U-2 is a Streamer, and the X-1 is their flagship all-in-one product, Streamer, DAC, Preamp.

Thanks

I got the Lumin U2 mini since 6 months now & been very happy with it, before that had the Rotel T14 streamer which was decent but this is so much better. I wish Lumin do an upgrade for their app while it's functional it does look outdated for todays time.

I got the Lumin U2 mini since 6 months now & been very happy with it, before that had the Rotel T14 streamer which was decent but this is so much better. I wish Lumin do an upgrade for their app while it's functional it does look outdated for todays time.
Request you to give full review and your set up interms of DAC, amplifier and speakers.
Have you upgraded u2 mini with linear power supply? What is your source - ripped CDs or spotify, tidal?

SUPER IDEA. THANKS.

A request to all posting... When mentioning the Lumin Model number, please also mention what that product is / will do.

What is the Lumin L-1?

I am unfamiliar with the Lumin product range (looking forward to Gyan here) and only know that the U-2 is a Streamer, and the X-1 is their flagship all-in-one product, Streamer, DAC, Preamp.

Thanks
Haha...makes sense :)

The Lumin L-1 was a zero config Nas for lumin streamers. It had a usb port to connect to our computer and load the music files. And it had a RJ45 port to plug into a network switch. On Lumin's with two RJ45 ports like the Lumin X1, the L1 could be directly plugged into one, to act as a local network enabled storage. However, it was limited to 5TB HDD, and folks were plugging in their own 5TB SSD into it, as long as the drive thickness was below 7mm.

The L2 is its replacement with a optimised low noise network switch and higher inbuilt storage.

Hi
Great to see this thread
I am thinking of getting the Lumin T3. I want a streamer cum dac and possibly a pre all in one ..
any users who can give their review about this product?
Cheers
The Lumin T3 would have been perfect for me, had it had a Coaxial digital input for my CD player. But otherwise the reviews are very good.

Haha...makes sense :)

The Lumin L-1 was a zero config Nas for lumin streamers. It had a usb port to connect to our computer and load the music files. And it had a RJ45 port to plug into a network switch. On Lumin's with two RJ45 ports like the Lumin X1, the L1 could be directly plugged into one, to act as a local network enabled storage. However, it was limited to 5TB HDD, and folks were plugging in their own 5TB SSD into it, as long as the drive thickness was below 7mm.

The L2 is its replacement with a optimised low noise network switch and higher inbuilt storage.
Super Info.

THANKS!

2. Has built-in SMPS // No linear power supply :rolleyes:
Purely my opinion, the company that rolls out products with SMPS, is not serious about sound quality. One of the key factors in deciding if I should go with a particular brand or not. Or be ready to spend good amount on LPS if you like to get best out of a product.

@bornfi , I was a sceptic till you convinced me of the noticeable difference a good LPS would make powering my DAC. My Lindemann Limetree Network DAC came with “a medical grade LPS” I was quite happy with this, till I got the Farad LPS (Thank you again). I immediately noticed a more vivid presentation with better clarity, depth and tone.
Considering most of the audio Chain works on a series of electrical events, I believe a good power supply is very important in DACs, Amplifiers (and streamers?) to perfom to their full potential.

Purely my opinion, the company that rolls out products with SMPS, is not serious about sound quality. One of the key factors in deciding if I should go with a particular brand or not. Or be ready to spend good amount on LPS if you like to get best out of a product.
I would agree that Iam a LPSU convert too. I can digest a SMPS below a 2k price point like the Innous zen mini. But not inside something costing 5K, no matter what the maker claims about its low ripple noise.

I switched from a 5V SMPS to a 5V LPSU on a dumb network switch, in 2018. And the difference was easily audible even via a plugged-in roon end point going into the dac. Now Iam sure SMPS have improved from then on. But offering a cheap as chips SMPS inside a fancy case for 5K is plain lazy engineering in my opinion.

What is the difference between Lumin U2 and U2 mini transports except for Linear Power Supply?
This link on the Lumin Website provides an accurate comparison.

I would summarise the main differences (In my order of priority) as:

1. OPTICAL NETWORKING
LUMIN U2: Optical/Fibre network input. The Lumin U2 Mini has only copper Ethernet inputs.

2. LINEAR POWER SUPPLY
LUMIN U2: Linear Power Supply (But probably NOT the lowest Noise ... LOW NOISE Linear Power Supply?)
The Lumin U2 Mini has a ("Low Noise") Switched Mode Power Supply.

3. USB PORTS
LUMIN U2: 3xUSB ports including one USB Optimised for a DAC Connnection The Lumin U2 Mini 23xUSB ports. (No DAC Optimised USB Port)

4. CNC MACHINED CHASSIS
The LUMIN U2 has a CNC Aluminium Chassis.
The Lumin U2 Mini has a Precision Aluminium Chassis

In recent months i went nuts and changed all of my chain except speakers. I took a big leap from old Aurender n100c + Gustard X26 combo to Lumin X1. First 150 hours was night mare. It really did not sound any different or occasionally showed what it could do. Overall was very anxious as it was blind buy (but trusted Manohar's constant praise for x1 means something), but was assured by x1 owners they went through same experience. And it suddenly blossomed :)

While its was good, did not really justify the price for me. Then came the clincher. Lumin L2. It was again a blind buy but was curious of others experience clock and audiophile network switch was game changer for streaming. I am networking guy by profession and passion (routing, tcp/ip etc kind of stuff). So it defy my logic how these sorcery will make a difference.

To my surprise, it brought completeness to X1. Like i said, it was big upgrade for me, so dont have much experience with lots of dac's. Both X1 and L2 combo is outstanding.

Inside L2 barely anything is there :) except for PCB and SMPS, given the price it infuriates me to look inside, but it brought completeness to my chain. Else would not have appreciated X1, or my amps.

Attachments

• IMG_20240411_071247554_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240411_071247554_HDR.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_20240415_105601420.jpg
    IMG_20240415_105601420.jpg
    248.4 KB · Views: 39
In recent months i went nuts and changed all of my chain except speakers. I took a big leap from old Aurender n100c + Gustard X26 combo to Lumin X1. First 150 hours was night mare. It really did not sound any different or occasionally showed what it could do. Overall was very anxious as it was blind buy (but trusted Manohar's constant praise for x1 means something), but was assured by x1 owners they went through same experience. And it suddenly blossomed :)

While its was good, did not really justify the price for me. Then came the clincher. Lumin L2. It was again a blind buy but was curious of others experience clock and audiophile network switch was game changer for streaming. I am networking guy by profession and passion (routing, tcp/ip etc kind of stuff). So it defy my logic how these sorcery will make a difference.

To my surprise, it brought completeness to X1. Like i said, it was big upgrade for me, so dont have much experience with lots of dac's. Both X1 and L2 combo is outstanding.

Inside L2 barely anything is there :) except for PCB and SMPS, given the price it infuriates me to look inside, but it brought completeness to my chain. Else would not have appreciated X1, or my amps.
Looking lovely ... 😍

Trust Lumin to put a lot of thought into system design and then implement at a very high level :)

Congrats Murali, so in this case, SMPS is better than a LPSU, I suppose, as opposed to many recommendations of adding LPSU's to SMPS based PSU's in the Lumin line up. Or maybe there will be some external mod for LPSU for the L2 soon, if not already.
Cheers,
Sid

Congrats Murali, so in this case, SMPS is better than a LPSU, I suppose, as opposed to many recommendations of adding LPSU's to SMPS based PSU's in the Lumin line up. Or maybe there will be some external mod for LPSU for the L2 soon, if not already.
Cheers,
Sid
I would expect a LPSU mod out soon from the likes of LHY audio. They are probably just waiting for enough Lumin L2's to be sold to justify their investment. Going by the improvements voiced with the U1 mini and U2 mini, unless Lumin has gone for a complete higher tier SMPS design, there might be benefits in going LPSU with the L2.

However, who ever makes one will definitely try it out on the L2. And if none come out with a LPSU mod, means Lumin has nailed the SMPS design, and it cannot be bettered at a reasonably justifiable cost.

I would expect a LPSU mod out soon from the likes of LHY audio. They are probably just waiting for enough Lumin L2's to be sold to justify their investment. Going by the improvements voiced with the U1 mini and U2 mini, unless Lumin has gone for a complete higher tier SMPS design, there might be benefits in going LPSU with the L2.

However, who ever makes one will definitely try it out on the L2. And if none come out with a LPSU mod, means Lumin has nailed the SMPS design, and it cannot be bettered at a reasonably justifiable cost.
We did a/b with lhy clock + ether regen with lps. With u2 and u2 with l2. Most felt L2 was better. So lps improves it even further then it's welcome change :)

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back