Lyrita Audio's New Amity Speaker

viren bakhshi

Lyrita Audio introduces the new Amity speaker - another speaker to complement its range of tube SET amplifiers.

The Amity - a harmonious pairing of a fullrange driver with a bass driver, for reproducing the full dimension of music.

To reinforce the concept of system building, the Amity will play with any of Lyrita's low powered tube amplifiers, from 1.5 watts to 15 watts. With excellent clarity and heft.

Specifications:
Driver full-range 6" Fostex FE167E, in open baffle
Driver bass 12" Eminence BETA-12A-2, in ported cabinet
Response 40 Hz to 18 kHz
Sensitivity 95 dB / 1 watt

To judge its merit, the speaker has to be heard.

So, it's open house at Lyrita Audio, Friday, October 2, from 2:30 pm on.
Some Delhi members have already promised to come. Do join in if you can.

Lyrita Audio, L-458 Sarita Vihar, New Delhi. Tel: 4140 1143

Regards,
Viren

Very interesting! I'm hoping the members auditioning this would post their impressions. Also, pic, dimensions and price would be much appreciated. :)

Viren: As little as I know about speaker design, I was curious why you've selected a ported cab for the woofer instead of a full-range OB with something like the Alphas... :)

great stuff as usual am sure viren.would love to hear comments.post please!all the best.cheers

Hi,

This speaker was the result of a bit of a push from some listeners of rock music. They just wanted to feel their music more!

To get that low end energy out, there is no option but to go to large drivers. And, the availability of a respected, affordable pro driver (Eminence) here in India was just what was needed.

All loudspeaker design is a balancing act, and so is this one. I've wanted to experiment with open baffle designs, but bass reproduction has been a problem. Open baffle bass sounds wonderful, but you need two 15" drivers to get you there!

So, this started as a compromise to combine open baffle mids and highs to a conventional ported cabinet bass. The design was to maintain high sensitivity; the speaker to be driven by a single low powered tube SET amp.

I stayed with the Fostex FE167E in the open baffle, because I am familiar with it, and because the sensitivities of the two drivers are close. It is crossed over to the Eminence 12" at 300 Hz. The crossover is a shallow 6 dB per octave, which helps fill in the lower end response of the Fostex in the open baffle. The drivers blend in quite well, though final tweeking is still going on. I have been quite impressed by the Eminence driver the more I listen to it.

Because the Fostex driver is relieved of reproducing lower frequencies, the combination has an openness to the sound, with no sense of compression in loud passages. And it can play pretty loud!

Regards,
Viren

Viren,

I will definately come to have a listen to your new speaker design. I loved the enveloping bass experience and want to have the same with your new design for Rock music.

Will your new speaker design work with SS amps aswell?

BTW did you consider designing transmission line speakers as I have read that bass extension is quite prominent. What are the basic differences with open baffle system?

Kindest regards

--
Bryston + B&W

Last edited:
Thanks for the details, Viren. Do you have any pics of the Amity that you could post? Also, how far out from the rear walls do you reckon the speakers have to be placed?

P.S: Viren, could you please PM me the price for the Amity? Thanks.

Hi Viren,

Congratulations, on your new speaker.

I bet it sounds wonderful.

Regards
Rajiv

Hi,

Hey all you impatient guys ;) here is the curtain raiser for the Lyrita's Amity !!

P1060635.JPG

P1060639.JPG

Will post the complete details with all the pics in new thread (may take some time) but until then drool over the above be content:lol: !!

Regards.

Nice!! Can you record their sound in lossy mp3 format on your cellphone and mms us so we can all hear how "they" sound? :D

Cheers

Hi,

Now that the pictures of the Amity are up, thanks to "soundsgreat" for really good ones, here's the price:

Lyrita's Amity speakers, per pair ........Rs.55,000
Shipping, in crates, as per actual cost.

The pictured speakers have White Cedar as wood veneer. Any preferred veneer can be ordered.

Regards,
Viren

Damn you all ........ just joking ....

Well, am a month into Pioneer VSX-519K + Wharfedale Moviestar 70+. Am very satisfied though, but would have loved to look at the tube amplifier + speaker set from Lyrita.

A bit late now..... but maybe in the immediate future for the living room set up.

Ashok

Lyrita Audio introduces the new Amity speaker - another speaker to complement its range of tube SET amplifiers.

So, it's open house at Lyrita Audio, Friday, October 2, from 2:30 pm on.
Some Delhi members have already promised to come. Do join in if you can.

Lyrita Audio, L-458 Sarita Vihar, New Delhi. Tel: 4140 1143

Regards,
Viren

Very happy to hear that Viren. Hope you remember me. I'm now based in Chennai. Any chance of auditioning the speakers here in Chennai or Bangalore?

Best wishes & warm regards

Rajesh

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back