Marantz Owner Thread...

I meant if you use as power amp from D class amplifier ? connecting with Marantz pre?
Imho til it reaches speaker level output ,amplifier design matters a lot.
If we use tube amplifier as power amp section if available ? What is the conclusion?:)
What ever the preamp final outcome to speaker which we hear from speaker is the one known as matching pre pro and the same we call it as signature.This covers the quality and components used inside the power amp.afaik.
If the query is connected with particular model power amplifier then there is no discussion.

Hmm.. I have used a Marantz AVR and an Onkyo AVR pre-outs with a Sonodyne 2-channel power amplifier (think class AB)..Honestly there wasn't a difference Vs others channels driven by AVR..

Though i don't know in detail, the function of a power-amp even if class D (or) tube power amp, shouldn't alter the pre-amp signal..

Hmm.. I have used a Marantz AVR and an Onkyo AVR pre-outs with a Sonodyne 2-channel power amplifier (think class AB)..Honestly there wasn't a difference Vs others channels driven by AVR..

Though i don't know in detail, the function of a power-amp even if class D (or) tube power amp, shouldn't alter the pre-amp signal..
Yes it would not alter the pre amp signal .But Quality and their own architecture design of power amp will play a role.IMO.
eg- crown amp , emotiva ,Marantz power amp section driving similar components ? ( power supply and components( transistor based,IGBT based,Tube based,IC based n go on ).
if the sound signature is same everybody will invest on huge money on Pre section and they can go for cheapest model with high power isn't .
IMO.
Even i am not that expert :).
i have experienced with my earlier AVR Pioneer LX59 which is class D i felt i miss something hence i bought Marantz 7055 to drive basic 5.1 config.
i felt the difference and satisfied with the output.Here there is no discussion about head room and power both are almost same to drive my required db level.But there is a difference.
May be hallucination :cool:

Class D miss Bass punch.l prefer class AB over Class D.Class D good option for small room setup.

Class D miss Bass punch.l prefer class AB over Class D.Class D good option for small room setup.

I have the new Pioneer AVR (VSX-LX-303)setup with Q accoustics paired for a 5.0 setup. I find the AVR signature a bit bright for music and would want to retain my PM6004 - Q accoustics- 3050 pairing for Music. Any thoughts on how I could use this the AVR running as pre-amp and without moving speaker cables repeatedly.

I have the new Pioneer AVR (VSX-LX-303)setup with Q accoustics paired for a 5.0 setup. I find the AVR signature a bit bright for music and would want to retain my PM6004 - Q accoustics- 3050 pairing for Music. Any thoughts on how I could use this the AVR running as pre-amp and without moving speaker cables repeatedly.
There is pre/zone2 put.lf its assignable as fronts,then connect stereo amp with rca cables and front speàkers to Stereoamp.

There is pre/zone2 put.lf its assignable as fronts,then connect stereo amp with rca cables and front speàkers to Stereoamp.

Nope, pre-amp/Zone2 are not re-assignable. I have already connected Pre-amp out to a RCA input in the amp, but these work as Zone 2 stereo only

Last edited:
Nope, pre-amp/Zone2 are not re-assignable. I have already connected Pre-amp out to a RCA input in the amp, but these work as Zone 2 stereo only
As I wrote in another post, I have ordered for a speaker switch - Beresford one with Bi-wiring option. Its a bit pricey buying it directly from ebay.com but hopefuly it will be a good one. Will post experiences once I use.

Congrats on your purchase. I am sure you will enjoy the sound all the more as the unit burns in and opens up.

Meanwhile, I have also closed on my purchase with Pioneer Elite LX-303. I am also getting them paired with Q accoustics 3010i + stock wall mounts and the centre 3090Ci. Will share my experience once I receive and set them up. The dual connectivity setup with PM6004 amp and 3050s continues to pose a challenge. Not to too keen on the speaker switch stuff and possible losses. For now I may just connect the AV in isolation and experience the change. Cheers!

Here's my 1 week experience of the new setup:

I have wired the L+R speakers independently with the AVR. I know this can go to the Pioneer owner's thread, but this in relation to my Marantz setup too:

Initial impressions on completing the Auto MCACC (like the Audessy) equalization.
MCACC setup was fairly simple and quite accurate

Movie play - On a 5.0 setup, I could see that it was a lot content driven there is a reasonable difference (wrt Stereo) in immersive effect especially when I ran "Insurgent" of BD quality or a "Gravity" for that matter. Compared it with direct play as well and could see the impact of processing a 2 -channel audio to a 5.0 Dolby surround/action. There is a lot to do with your individual preference but the AVR reproduces faithfully with decent details. Noticed some lacking bass. But without a sub, I may have to live with it.

On music front with a stereo mode, I played several files across genres from Diana Krall's Temptation, Uriah Heep's July Morning, Deep Purple -"Blind man Cries" to the heavy nos like Metallica's "One", "fade to Black" & even Jagjit Singh's Ghazals

One blatant difference - "Brighter", good details, low bass. Somewhere, I was missing the punch I was used to. So I moved the front channels speakers to the good old Marantz 6004 and there you go - simply nothing to beat the warmth and rich sound ! Maybe lesser details. And with the maveric Tube magic D2, there are two analog output options to play a Tube out for music or the sharper discrete output.
Notice an almost similar effect on driving the AVR Pre-amp through Zone 2. Flip side, net sources (like Amazon music/ chomecast) do not play on Zone 2 which essentially means I would need to switch speaker wires everytime when needed.

A bit disappointed at my new buy, I studied through the exhausitive Pioneer manual and there was hope!

There were whole lot of options under AV adjust viz i) Full MCACC Auto/manual / off. ii) MCACC equaliser options /Off iii) Audio absorber (Upscale), and the list goes on.

All these were at default values so far. These options can be controlled on the fly while the audio to match individual preferences and content.
I made several changes on a realtime mode and voila! - the results were encouraging. Decent base, Not as close to the warmth of the Marantz but pretty good. The upscale option is the most amazing in especially the low bit rate / 128 kbps mp3 files.

So no regrets. Overall, a great package for Movie play and some music (60/40). For real music lovers, the marantz stands out unmistakebly. I now wait for the Beresford speaker switch with biwiring options..

Next project will be to re-consider biwiring and Biamping the 7th channel on receiving the equipment.

Are there any recommendations for Power protection of expensive AV Equipment - Products, brands, urls.. which I can explore would help.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back