Marantz Owner Thread...

Strange. But many people are recommending 6005 can drive Floorstanders too.

I am driving a SVS Prime tower with 2 Channels from Marantz AVR (rated at 50 rms @ 8 ohms). They do a pretty good job out of it . My room size is 11.5 x 10 and my listening distance is around 12-13 feet. I am sure a Dedicated Stereo Amp from Marantz should be doing quite a good job of that said 45 rms!
The SVS Towers are at 87 db sensitivity. Now if you carefully observe, they clearly have given this Sensitivity figure for a said freq range (300 Hz to 3 Khz). However the overall Freq range of the speaker is 30 Hz - 25 Khz.
https://www.svsound.com/products/prime-tower
Had they measured the sensitivity for this entire freq range, the figure should be abysmally low. Simply because lower frequencies have lower sensitivity than the higher ones. Had they measured this at a said 1 Khz like most other brands, the figure would be more than the said 87 db.

Most of the speakers also get measured at 1 Khz (which is more like a standard. 1watt / 1 metre / 1 Khz) so that they always give good sensitivity values. Generally for a 1khz tone, with a mic placed 1 metre away and fed with 1 watt of power, if a loudspeaker could get around 87-88 db they are quite good. Some drivers like Dynaudios have around 83-86 db sensitivity few others like say Monitor audio models have 89-91 db sensitivity.

What is more important in deciding the speaker is its Tonal quality and signature. That should take precedence over Sensitivity or Power Rating. yes they both are important, but what if they all are good and you don't like the sound coming out! Remember sound is very subjective !

Strange. But many people are recommending 6005 can drive Floorstanders too.

You can audition and decide accordingly......

With an AVR (NR series) it works well as you can manually adjust the levels of speakers, sources and EQ settings to give some gain......hence an advantage......My bro sold the 6005...used a NR1606 briefly and then upgraded to the SR 6000 series

I am sure a Dedicated Stereo Amp from Marantz should be doing quite a good job of that said 45 rms!
When i was chatting with one of the chennai dealer regarding Marantz PM5005, he is not compromised with watts power. His views are, Marantz PM5005 is low power amp and only Yamaha RS202 with 100WPC is right fit for my stereo setup( as per my budget).

Still i do not understand, why i need 100wpc amp, when my listening area is small room and my desired volume level is no more than 10'0 clock position. Even in my marantz PM 5005, i am listening at low volume and not interested to crank up more.

I have not audition yamaha rs202. so can not comment on its Sound signature. Should i made some thing wrong on purchase Marantz(5005) low power amp as per his view ?

When i was chatting with one of the chennai dealer regarding Marantz PM5005, he is not compromised with watts power. His views are, Marantz PM5005 is low power amp and only Yamaha RS202 with 100WPC is right fit for my stereo setup( as per my budget).

Still i do not understand, why i need 100wpc amp, when my listening area is small room and my desired volume level is no more than 10'0 clock position. Even in my marantz PM 5005, i am listening at low volume and not interested to crank up more.

I have not audition yamaha rs202. so can not comment on its Sound signature. Should i made some thing wrong on purchase Marantz(5005) low power amp as per his view ?
I think you should be looking through the older threads on speaker sensitivity.
The crux is sound measured in log scale, means there will not be much difference between a 10w amp and 50 w amp in fact. All that is about the quality of power they supply at rated output.
I was in your position back then. Do not worry much about these numbers. I have tested my Wharfedale 9.5 floor stands with my friends pm5004 and there are sounding authentic indeed.
It is a fantastic budget amp and I have recommended to all my friends around and they are pretty happy with it.
Good luck with your research

I dont think it is a wrong purchase....its good for small areas...stereo purposes.....

Recently l heard pm 5004(35w) and 6 series marantz avr(110w) back to back.
Both connected to towers speakers .
Pm5004 was very comfortable to drive towers and sounded much better than avr.Soundstage bigger and bass well produced.
Overall pm was far ahead in music than 110w avr.
Volume on pm5004 never touched 12 O' clock position.

Any Amp whether it is 15 RMS or 250 RMS, will not be producing the stated amount of power at every single point of time ! power is instantaneous and is dependent on the signal fed, nature of load and its demand. In all probability nobody would be using a say, 45 RMS from their Marantz Amp always ! While no one denies the fact that more power is always better since you have good headroom, it is not really a necessity in 99% of the cases. Also Power is not an absolute entity. They have impedance values, Distortion %, Signal to Noise Ratios.... A100 RMS @ 1% THD is going to sound a lot more aweful than 40 RMS @ 0.02% THD

Apart from this, the type of MOSFET's, Capacitors used, Class of Amp (A, AB, D, G, AD, AB Bias......), Nature of design (input stage, output stage), Heat sinks, Quality of chassis and built in insulation, and most importantly the type and wattage of power supply used. All of them MATTER!

Unless, you want to wake up your neighborhood or try run a Club at home, the Marantz you have should do full justice to sane, normal music listening

Any Amp whether it is 15 RMS or 250 RMS, will not be producing the stated amount of power at every single point of time ! power is instantaneous and is dependent on the signal fed, nature of load and its demand. In all probability nobody would be using a say, 45 RMS from their Marantz Amp always ! While no one denies the fact that more power is always better since you have good headroom, it is not really a necessity in 99% of the cases. Also Power is not an absolute entity. They have impedance values, Distortion %, Signal to Noise Ratios.... A100 RMS @ 1% THD is going to sound a lot more aweful than 40 RMS @ 0.02% THD

Apart from this, the type of MOSFET's, Capacitors used, Class of Amp (A, AB, D, G, AD, AB Bias......), Nature of design (input stage, output stage), Heat sinks, Quality of chassis and built in insulation, and most importantly the type and wattage of power supply used. All of them MATTER!

Unless, you want to wake up your neighborhood or try run a Club at home, the Marantz you have should do full justice to sane, normal music listening
Thanks for the details. Based on these mentioned parameters, price of the amplifier differs from each brand. For instance, Norge, marantz,mad,rotel,arcam. This is my assumption. Because of components price increases gradually.

Brand name, Quality of components, Class type of Amp, Features, etc are the main factors that decide the price segment.....brands usually make base models, mid segment ones and even luxury top end ones if they want to tap all kinds of customers in a certain market......Its a calculative call one would take to decide what he wants at the end of the day based on what fits his budget, meets the requirements, appearance and performance.

Thanks for the details. Based on these mentioned parameters, price of the amplifier differs from each brand. For instance, Norge, marantz,mad,rotel,arcam. This is my assumption. Because of components price increases gradually.

Pricing has quite a few invisible strands to it - apart form the cost of components that make a product, the Labour cost (There is huge difference in pay for laborers in APAC vs Europe, Americas region), The R&D Overhead, Manufacturing Overhead, Packing, Shipping & Logistics cost, warranty and Returns overhead, Any other taxes or levy that is applicable, and the Brand Image of the company itself (Which allows the product to be positioned for a specific target market).

All said and done, for a discerning buyer, the Value a product provides is of ultimate significance. Sometimes it makes good sense to go the pre-owned route since you are effectively paying lesser price for the same sound ! Makes good economic sense. (which also comes with a Risk of product conking off due to earlier wear and tear).

The Perceived value will be different for each individual. My friend usually laughs and mocks at me for spending so much on Audio, which is available free of cost in youtube !! :( But that's him ! As long as a purchase keeps you happy and swinging, all is well. Opinion of the dealer / your friend / another forum member / popular Hifi Magazine ....doesn't matter one bit !

Hi Frnds,
I am new member added to Marantz family ,bought NR 1608 recently ..
Setting up a Home Theater was my Childhood dream and Now I am making my dream come true.

Since I am very new to this world need help/support/suggestion often from you all .
Now my first suggestion required is to buy speakers for the AVR (NR 1608).
Not having big budget, right now having Taga 606 V3 as a choice but can afford little more to get a good speaker package ..
Please Suggest some options

There is a news that the prices of speakers are going to be increased in few days time. You can better hurry up. You can try Boston series, Elac etc., check its availability.

There is a news that the prices of speakers are going to be increased in few days time. You can better hurry up. You can try Boston series, Elac etc., check its availability.
Thank you..Buying Boston Acoustics 260 Package..
Can I run without Subwoofer ?

I am looking for a marantz or denon receiver with audyssey XT32. Pre-worshipped Only. Which models should I be looking at? My current receiver is marantz nr1504. No other feature excites me, just need XT32. Any leads?

MaSh

I am looking for a marantz or denon receiver with audyssey XT32. Pre-worshipped Only. Which models should I be looking at? My current receiver is marantz nr1504. No other feature excites me, just need XT32. Any leads?

MaSh

If looking at Marantz...SR series then XX08 onwards.....

For Denon guess it would be the 3xxx series onwards

Please correct me I if I am wrong. Lately I fried my lg 55 inches TV motherboard. The lg service center guys from Goa visited me and informed me saying that it was the cable operators fault that there was reverse current that flowed through the motherboard. I barely used it for 5 years, and now it is DEAD.
I see from my experience, that past 5 years I used videocon satellite connection,and never had a problem.
The only reason I shifted to the local cable operator was because, they were broadcasting regional Goa channels.
Two of my neighbours too got their tv short circuited, the same hour.
The moral would be that reverse current cannot come from your tatasky satellite operator, since it is we who supply electric supply to the set top box
I certainly agree with the clarification as to how connection is to be made by our dear Fm @ Efernand1

So I ended up buying the Marantz NR1509 as a replacement for my dead Yamaha Aventage Rx-A1030. Quite the jump (in the opposite direction!)

I have a Mission m34i Fronts(>92db Sensitivity) and Mission Centre & Surrounds with a SVS PB-1000 Sub (Low pass filter-LFE, Volume at 11'o Clock).

My initial impressions after hooking up the AVR was totally disappointing - primarily because I had the volume knob at 50 (Scale of 0-98).
I soon read that this was quite low for a Marantz and that I had to really crank up the volume to 60-70 for a decent output (translates to -20 to -10dB), which is the same volume what I would usually run my Aventage as well.

I also see that the little ECO meter is only around the one-third mark with the volume at 70, so the AVR is not near clipping level, i guess.

I was also confused with the previous Marantz PM5004 Amplifier that I had hooked up my speakers to in the interim and in which the volume was never above 30-40%. This amplifier has the exact same Power ratings as the NR1509 in Stereo mode (i.e 35W p.c), so I knew that the NR1509 would have ample power to drive my Mission speakers.

Anyways, ran Audyssey as well.
Which threw surprising results : it had all my Fronts/Center set up around a -6dB level , Surrounds at -3db and the Sub at -12dB !!
LPF was set at 120Hz.

I thought of increasing the Levels of all the speakers by a couple of dBs to atleast make them at the 0dB level , but then just went and accepted the Audyssey results.

My Q is :
1. Should I go ahead and synchronously raise all the speaker levels by adding 4-5dB so that they are all in/around the 0dB mark OR
2. should I increase the inputs levels (if yes, by how much) OR lastly ,
3. ignore what speaker levels are there and just crank up the volume to 65-70..

Any help will be much appreciated.
For the record, this is my third Denon/Marantz and the Yamaha had a MUCH accurate auto-calibration tool. (YPAO)

So I ended up buying the Marantz NR1509 as a replacement for my dead Yamaha Aventage Rx-A1030. Quite the jump (in the opposite direction!)

I have a Mission m34i Fronts(>92db Sensitivity) and Mission Centre & Surrounds with a SVS PB-1000 Sub (Low pass filter-LFE, Volume at 11'o Clock).

My initial impressions after hooking up the AVR was totally disappointing - primarily because I had the volume knob at 50 (Scale of 0-98).
I soon read that this was quite low for a Marantz and that I had to really crank up the volume to 60-70 for a decent output (translates to -20 to -10dB), which is the same volume what I would usually run my Aventage as well.

I also see that the little ECO meter is only around the one-third mark with the volume at 70, so the AVR is not near clipping level, i guess.

I was also confused with the previous Marantz PM5004 Amplifier that I had hooked up my speakers to in the interim and in which the volume was never above 30-40%. This amplifier has the exact same Power ratings as the NR1509 in Stereo mode (i.e 35W p.c), so I knew that the NR1509 would have ample power to drive my Mission speakers.

Anyways, ran Audyssey as well.
Which threw surprising results : it had all my Fronts/Center set up around a -6dB level , Surrounds at -3db and the Sub at -12dB !!
LPF was set at 120Hz.

I thought of increasing the Levels of all the speakers by a couple of dBs to atleast make them at the 0dB level , but then just went and accepted the Audyssey results.

My Q is :
1. Should I go ahead and synchronously raise all the speaker levels by adding 4-5dB so that they are all in/around the 0dB mark OR
2. should I increase the inputs levels (if yes, by how much) OR lastly ,
3. ignore what speaker levels are there and just crank up the volume to 65-70..

Any help will be much appreciated.
For the record, this is my third Denon/Marantz and the Yamaha had a MUCH accurate auto-calibration tool. (YPAO)

I have a NR 1608, which is very similar to your model in terms of power,( just that mine has 2 more channels).
My current set of speakers are of different brand / make (for which the sensitivity varies from 91 db to 86 db) .
My room size is quite modest - 12.5 x 10.5
My Set of speakers range from 15k to 1.8L
The Room correction / Audyessy will lower the db of most speakers, but i left it at that, since it felt good to my ears.
At 40 volume, i don't hear a damn thing. At 50, it is just audible, just enough to know that it is working, it is post 60 it opens up. And Around 65 - 72 is what my AVR does duty most of the times. For certain intense Movie Watching sometimes i goes up to 78-80 also.

Bottomline is unless you feel, cranking up the volume is making your speakers harsh / clip..i don't see anything wrong in setting your volume at 70 plus

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back