Marantz Owner Thread...

^^ Thank you for responding and sharing your feedback . I was a bit sceptical at first while cranking the volume so high as I had read earlier that it is better not to exceed the 50% mark in low-power amplifiers etc due to possible clipping/damage to speakers.

Also, seems a bit counter-intuitive that Audyssey first lowers the Speaker levels by -6dB and then I need to crank up the volume (so high?)
And the Sub levels .. it is at -12dB currently.. should I bring it up atleast to the same levels as the rest of the speakers ?

I was a bit sceptical at first while cranking the volume so high as I had read earlier that it is better not to exceed the 50% mark in low-power amplifiers etc due to possible clipping/damage to speakers.

As a generic thumb rule, it is right. But It also depends on your room size, listening position and your listening persona.

Also, seems a bit counter-intuitive that Audyssey first lowers the Speaker levels by -6dB and then I need to crank up the volume (so high?)
And the Sub levels .. it is at -12dB currently.. should I bring it up atleast to the same levels as the rest of the speakers ?

Audyssey does it for different purpose. Obviously not everything is about db / volume. If you had noticed, the mic measures are taken at 4-6 different places before deciding on the db. Apart from this, i also believe some form of EQ is applied so, don't take the db measurements alone as a reference.

For those of you who have the same queries as me , i found this link to be very clarifying :
https://audyssey.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/212347883-Speaker-Trim-Levels

Basically, speaker levels as set by Audyssey are redundant information to the user (as long as it is not -12db) and broadly, all one needs to take care is that, the system is loud enough in the -20 to -10 dB volume level. And certainly, LOUD at 0 dB.

Your sub level should not be -12 db. I would suggest that you reduce the volume of the sub and run audyssey again. I don't think you need to touch the other levels. My startup default volume level is -25 db. I listen at -25 to -5 depending on the volume levels of the source. I have kept max volume at 0 db.

^^ Thank you for responding and sharing your feedback . I was a bit sceptical at first while cranking the volume so high as I had read earlier that it is better not to exceed the 50% mark in low-power amplifiers etc due to possible clipping/damage to speakers.

Hi

Not sure if you have read some of the old threads around this where i had mentioned that stereo amps dont have audyssey and hence no level adjustments etc......it is direct. No levels to be adjusted.

An AVR has untapped power within itself....which after audyssey can be tapped manually and adjusted......the source levels can be adjusted first then adjust the speaker levels (1db) at a time....

For example...I use a SR6009....kept source level at 10......then after running audyssey....speakers are kept between +2 to+4 ......Use Bose 301s III and Bose 201s V and Dali Pico VoKal center.........enjoy room filling music or movies around 40 levels and really loud for me is somewhere 52 to 55.......beyond this will either be too harsh and perhaps damage the speakers......

With the NR series...same speakers....room filling was 48 to 50 and extreme loud was 57 to 62......so tap the levels manually and decide what sounds good for your listening pleasure for music and movies....you will be sorted and happy!

^ Can i change the input levels after running Audyssey? I presume it will not affect the Audyssey EQ settings in any way?

The Room correction / Audyessy will lower the db of most speakers, but i left it at that, since it felt good to my ears.
At 40 volume, i don't hear a damn thing. At 50, it is just audible, just enough to know that it is working, it is post 60 it opens up. And Around 65 - 72 is what my AVR does duty most of the times. For certain intense Movie Watching sometimes i goes up to 78-80 also.
Apart from Audyssey auto setting of db levels for each output channel, most entry to mid-level amps have low current minimalistic preamp section where the attenuation is not logarithmic with the scale. So to get a decent output you will usually have to push the volume pot higher which will in turn have a comparatively higher THD and noise floor (but usually well outside the listening spectrum).

Congratulations Hari Sir!

It was a player i was eyeing for quite sometime......could you PM me the price if not confidential. I have got an OPPO 103 recently.

I have an unusual bug with the HDMI Passthrough.

I have the Fire Stick directly attached to one of the HDMI inputs on the AVR and have set HDMI to Passthrough.
I have a VU Tv which can decode till DD but not DD+.
Fire Stick is set to to DD+ and Automatic , which mens that it should downmix to Stereo automatically once it detects passthrough to VU TV, with AVR in standby.

My challenge is that i get skipping audio from the TV Speaker, with these settings ! My Yamaha earlier would perform flawlessly with the same settings.

There aren't many setting to change in the Marantz, what am I doing wrong?!

Marantz pass through is pass through as is. The signal is not touched. I have to switch my Airtel STB to stereo and multi channel and back each time I use receiver for audio or pass through.

MaSh

Thanks. I will try that also. Fire Stick has an option to set Audio out as Stereo. I think that might work.

Also, when i switch on myTV, it auto switches on the Marantz too. How to avoid that?

Thanks. I will try that also. Fire Stick has an option to set Audio out as Stereo. I think that might work.

Also, when i switch on myTV, it auto switches on the Marantz too. How to avoid that?
Switch off HDMI control in your inputs menu.

MaSh

I am building a jfet input pre amp and will be using the Marantz HDAM- SA2 discrete opamp buffer in the output stage.

Are you planing to open ud7007? If not,how to add jfet buffer before HDAM?
No I am not addin anything to the blueray player or opening g the ud7007.
What I meant was I am making a preamplifier with jfet inputs and using the HDAM- SA2 circuit in the preamp. Transistors used by me will be ofcourse different than the Marantz.

Check my other post for the schematic.

Respected sir
Greetings from Shimoga
Recently I purchased Marantz AV receiver- 6013 .
I have done Audyssey Multi eq x-32
I have emotive t1 towers and centre 4 warfadaele surround speakers- DFS D 10
And 2 height speakers- DFS D 10
After doing The Audyssey how to do fine adjustments. What to do with - lfe, lfe+main
Dynamic volume and test of settings. My emotive speakers are -4 ohm so how to change impedance in the receiver.
Please help me. With regards
Vinayaka

If you ask me I would say as follows:

The receiver would have set the fronts to large. Change that to small. The receiver would have set the crossover of the fronts to some value lower than 80 hz, set it to 80 hz. Leave the subwoofer at LFE and don't touch the impedance setting.Dynamic volume off.

Audyssey is not setting these, your receiver is. After you do this, listen to the sound for a few days. Then come back to us and let us know how you would want the sound to be changed. Someone in the forum will chip in, am sure.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back