Marantz PM6005 with Sonodyne Sonus 2605 V3

tumpa

Hi-Fi mart is selling Marantz PM6005 @ Rs40000, it's a good deal; I've read online reviews and reviews on this particular forum but the concern is that it only delivers on 45Watts/channel at 8 ohms; is this marantz PM6005 able to drive Sonodyne Sonus 2605 V3 ? or any other floor standing speakers? this PM6005 has optical input and I want to use my 200+GB of FLAC/ALAC music stored on my computer.

Or is their any other integrated amp, which has optical input and able to drive floor standing speakers ?

***Note- I've checked Onkyo A9050, at Promise Kolkata, it has optical input but sound is muddy***** :sad: :sad:

So, any suggestion ?

Thanks, :clapping::clapping:

Hi

Take it from a Marantz user, this brand is a performer when compared to other competitors who claim 75 or 100 w per channel. Please note the technical aspects....45w per channel is across all frequencies between 20hz and 20khz and is continuous power.

The others who claim 75 or 100 w is measures only at 1khz (outbust peaks).

You may want to look at Cambridge Audio and NAD for comparable professional audiophile amplifiers if not Marantz.

Hope this helps.

Hi-Fi mart is selling Marantz PM6005 @ Rs40000, it's a good deal; I've read online reviews and reviews on this particular forum but the concern is that it only delivers on 45Watts/channel at 8 ohms;

1. AV Receiver and Amplifier Power Ratings Trends: How and Why Wattage Ratings are Manipulated | Audioholics

2. i can confirm that the 2605s do not have drivers that are made of concrete and Sorbothane. They are not hogs/ sinks that suck up every last micro watt the amp (or many of them) can put out in order to produce the faintest of whispers.

3. the thing is on a log scale - if you want a doubling of volume over a 10W you need a 100 W amp.

4. Marantz PM6005 review from the experts at whathifi.com (Updated on the 15.04.14)

5. from here http://m.marantz.co.uk/DocumentMaster/master/PM6005N_ENG_CD-ROM_UG_v00.pdf

Total harmonic distortion
(20 Hz 20 kHz simultaneous drive of both channels,
8 ?/ohms load): 0.08 %

6. I listen to flacs (from foobar/ WDTVLive) CD from PS3 in a 12 x 25 room and do not find it necessary to have the amp vol knob beyond 9 o clock. (btw not all stuff of itunes or on cd is necessarily good sounding)

7. i have a thread going on the same subject here http://www.hifivision.com/av-lounge/49929-my-marantz-pm-6005-sonodyne-2605-story.html see also http://www.hifivision.com/amplifiers/46302-amp-sonodyne-sonus-2605-v3-2.html#post575185

8. as always ymmv, ie. no replacement for your ears listening to your music playing off your rig in your room, baki sab bakwaas

ciao
gr

Last edited:
Hi-Fi mart is selling Marantz PM6005 @ Rs40000, it's a good deal; I've read online reviews and reviews on this particular forum but the concern is that it only delivers on 45Watts/channel at 8 ohms; is this marantz PM6005 able to drive Sonodyne Sonus 2605 V3 ? or any other floor standing speakers? this PM6005 has optical input and I want to use my 200+GB of FLAC/ALAC music stored on my computer.

Or is their any other integrated amp, which has optical input and able to drive floor standing speakers ?

***Note- I've checked Onkyo A9050, at Promise Kolkata, it has optical input but sound is muddy***** :sad: :sad:

So, any suggestion ?

FM @ Sound Cycle uses the same stereo amp + FS combo.....Per his recent posts, the amp is comfortable driving the FS...

So, any suggestion ?

Take it from an owner.. This brand delivers continuous 45W power across the audio spectrum. I barely push the volume beyond 9 O' clock and it drives FS.

Look around threads in this forum which speak of its great compatibility with the Wharfedales.. 9.6 and the like.

I had tried out the 9.6 paired with the PM6004 and 5004. Decent bass and warm. An you bet it drove these FS well despite the relative low sensitivity 9.6. (88db if I recall)

I finally auditioned the high sensitivity (91db) Paradigm FS monitor 7 v6 (older 4 drivers one)) series (2.5 way) alongside the Wharfedale 9.6 and found them great. Not as warm as the 9.6s but the sound was more detailed. Finally settled for them with the PM6004 & I am not yet unhappy after 18 months. BTW they are great (maybe better) for watching movies too. I have paired through a DAC (Maverick audio).

You could try out the Tannoy DC6T too, great reviews at WhatHifi though many here will differ considering the 45 W output of the Marantz.

Incase you are not too tied in to FS, the KEF500 makes a great match too

Only my views/experiences.. again, you need to audition yourselves and pick what looks good for your ears. Happy hunting !

What FS you own?
Sonodyne or planning to buy?

Actually, I am planning to buy Sonodyne Sonus 2605 V 3, initially, I thought of buying Yamaha A-S500 ( good reviews on this forum and elsewhere) but what I find now that Hi-Fi mart is selling Marantz PM6005 @ Rs 40000, that's why I'm in a fix. Sonodyne website recommends AMP ranging 50-100watts @ 8 ohms but PM 6005 falls short by 5watts of power/channel. So I am concerned.

Actually, I am planning to buy Sonodyne Sonus 2605 V 3, initially, I thought of buying Yamaha A-S500 ( good reviews on this forum and elsewhere) but what I find now that Hi-Fi mart is selling Marantz PM6005 @ Rs 40000, that's why I'm in a fix. Sonodyne website recommends AMP ranging 50-100watts @ 8 ohms but PM 6005 falls short by 5watts of power/channel. So I am concerned.

Yamaha and Sonodyne combo is on the brighter side. My experience is with Yamaha AVR and Sonodyne, but others have also felt that the combo can be a little bright, but on the other hand Yamaha has more power to offer to drive the 2605. While 6005 is driving them and driving them quite well as testified by FM sound_cycle, but you will benefit from the extra power reserve with Yamaha. So it perhaps is a little difficult to decide.
I can say that Sonoadyne's own amp SIA 320 which are rated at 70W were falling short of being the 'authority' at driving the 2605. My personal opinion is that more power for the 2605s will help you to get the best out of them. I do not think you can really audition the 2605 with your choice of amplifier, but what you at least should do is audition the two amplifiers in question. Yamaha can be auditioned at Yamaha AV square at Raja Basanta Roy road and I am sure you can audition the Marantz somewhere too, perhaps SKS. This will give you a better understanding to make your decision.

Yamaha and Sonodyne combo is on the brighter side. My experience is with Yamaha AVR and Sonodyne, but others have also felt that the combo can be a little bright, but on the other hand Yamaha has more power to offer to drive the 2605. While 6005 is driving them and driving them quite well as testified by FM sound_cycle, but you will benefit from the extra power reserve with Yamaha. So it perhaps is a little difficult to decide.
I can say that Sonoadyne's own amp SIA 320 which are rated at 70W were falling short of being the 'authority' at driving the 2605. My personal opinion is that more power for the 2605s will help you to get the best out of them. I do not think you can really audition the 2605 with your choice of amplifier, but what you at least should do is audition the two amplifiers in question. Yamaha can be auditioned at Yamaha AV square at Raja Basanta Roy road and I am sure you can audition the Marantz somewhere too, perhaps SKS. This will give you a better understanding to make your decision.

Thanks for the help. :)

Sonodyne website recommends AMP ranging 50-100watts @ 8 ohms but PM 6005 falls short by 5watts of power/channel. So I am concerned.

You are not paying attention :lol:

You won't be able to hear the difference between a 45watt and 50watt unit at all. the difference is very small. I don't think anyone will (ofc watts alone are not everything).

If you want an amp twice as loud as a 100W one you need to get a 1000W one.

also likely as not the 50 is an ahem "somehow worked out optimistic estimate" to make you and me feel better.

short answer: you need not be concerned on that count . not even mildly.

ciao
gr

I have paired the Sonus 2605 with some stereo amps... NAD C326, SiA 320 & Yamaha AX 497... Now all of them are rated 50w @ 8 Ohms, while Yamaha is the one which is slightly powerful...

As @ Sound_Cycle mentioned, 50W is more than enough for a stereo amplifier.. The speaker sensitivity being 89db doesn't need more powerful amplifier...

Alternatively have can consider the Onkyo TX 8050 stereo receiver which is rated @ 80W/channel & has more digital inputs & networking feature if you need one for around the same price.....

Don't buy Sonodyne. They are sub stan compared to their peer brands. Overpriced. There are lot of other brands around Indian and International that can leave Sondyne in dust, quality and sonic wise.

Don't buy Sonodyne. They are sub stan compared to their peer brands. Overpriced. There are lot of other brands around Indian and International that can leave Sondyne in dust, quality and sonic wise.

Thanks for a extremely well thought out, carefully considered, highly informative, well written post that added lots of value to this thread.

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

very nice !

With Warm Regards
gr

Last edited:

You may also consider some other speaker to pair with Marantz amplifier.
What is the budget for your speakers? Strictly only FS or also for BS?

Which are Indian brands that can leave Sonodyne in dust? Norge may be, I spoke to Mr. Shyam Bajaj but he has no dealer/re-seller/ service centre in Kolkata.

The Point is I need FS around budget of Rs35000, Good BS with decent woofer (at least 6.5") in the same price range

You may consider the following BS... well pair with Marantz stereo amplifier
Q Acoustics 2010i,2020i
Mission MX1,MX3
PSB Image B5
Dali Zensor series
Tannoy Mercury series

Thanks for a extremely well thought out, carefully considered, highly informative, well written post that added lots of value to this thread.

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

very nice !

With Warm Regards
gr

You are welcome. Cutting out the sarcasm, if you read a few times what I wrote you will find, I have warned the OP from wasting her money. Which no one in the thread did.

Sonodyne should revamp their entire QC department even before they are worth to be suggested anywhere.

Whether it adds a value to the thread or not, it does send out a warning to anyone ready to shell or donate 35K to Sonodyne.

Get the drift?

You are welcome. Cutting out the sarcasm, if you read a few times what I wrote you will find, I have warned the OP from wasting her money. Which no one in the thread did.

Sonodyne should revamp their entire QC department even before they are worth to be suggested anywhere.

Whether it adds a value to the thread or not, it does send out a warning to anyone ready to shell or donate 35K to Sonodyne.

Get the drift?

No I dont

and I dont particularly care what your opinion is if you cannot substantiate a stand

thanks anyway

by the way i dont have to read a mis spelt poorly worded post several times over to make sense of it. I hate to break it you but it is not quite as deep as you think as it is. But then again, never mind, I don't really expect you to get it

with regards
gr

Last edited:
Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back